Confused by Platinum Protection Coverage

It's my understanding that there is coverage from Holland America's Platinum coverage for both cancellation, health events, and other mishaps. So I bought it, and it's all paid.

Now that I'm getting ready to go, I can't seem to find any information about what to actually *do* -- if I have an emergency and need assistance.

There's no phone number that I can find to call in emergencies. I don't have a policy number, and I can't even find a way to show that I have insurance at all. Aren't these things that I would need if I needed to get treatment in an emergency? Shouldn't there be paperwork of some kind?

Am I missing something?

If you booked directly with HAL, a Cruise Confirmation is emailed to you. After final payment and if you purchased their Cancellation Plan, the final Booking Confirmation  will show under Guest Information that you have the Platinum Cancellation Plan.

I have had to cancel a HAL cruise several times prior to sailing, and upon calling the HAL reservation number, the agent knows I have the plan and arranges the refund which I have normally received within the week.

For cruises that I have sailed on, and had to cancel mid-cruise due to an emergency at home, once HAL is notified, the pro-rated refund  comes through after notification.

As for health related emergencies, my only experience is that I have had to pay the bills and then file for reimbursement after the fact. 

HAL does know who has their Platinum or Standard Cancellation Plans.

If you have booked with a travel agent, I don't know how it works.  I suspect you have to go through your agent. Others here know  how that works. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

The documents are available on HAL’s website 

To obtain your state-specific Certificate of Insurance providing the terms, conditions and exclusions of the certificate, visit http://www.affinitytravelcert.com/docs/nwehal01.

Thanks!

Do you think it means the state(s) you are going to visit? Or the state you live in? (I don't live in a state, I live in Canada)

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Bolt. said:

Thanks!

Do you think it means the state(s) you are going to visit? Or the state you live in? (I don't live in a state, I live in Canada)

It’s the state you live in.

What Province are you in? There are some Provinces of Canada that it cannot be sold in, so you better check. Perhaps call HAL. Does your Canadian website for HAL have anything on it? (I’m only able to see US site.)

or perhaps @kazu or @ger_77 or @Vict0riann might be able to help you find the page. 

Could one of you ladies help a new member please?

Edited by TiogaCruiser

7 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

It’s the state you live in.

What Province are you in? There are some Provinces of Canada that it cannot be sold in, so you better check. Perhaps call HAL. Does your Canadian website for HAL have anything on it? (I’m only able to see US site.)

or perhaps @kazu or @ger_77 or @Vict0riann might be able to help you find the page. 

Could one of you ladies help a new member please?

The page is the same whether you are Canadian or American. 😉. the states and provinces it is not available to is at the bottom of the general information page on CPP.

10 hours ago, Bolt. said:

Thanks!

HAL’s CPP is not available to residents of B.C. Or Quebec and cannot be purchased if you live in those provinces.  If you reside in any of the others you may certainly purchase it.

The states and provinces it is not available in is listed on this page - https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/ca/plan-a-cruise/pre-post-travel-cruise/cancellation-protection-plan

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 2

If its not too late, you may want to look at 3rd party insurance. We always buy our travel insurance through our TA and it is usually cheaper in cost with more coverage including non-cruise line airfare purchased. We made our final payment today for our August Volendam Cruise and the HAL platinum quoted cost, without air, was higher than our premium TA's coverage with our airfare covered.

• Like 1