Upgrade Fairy on Celebrity

I do know that X offers a Move Up program.  Once the dust settles from people moving up and if there is a higher category than what I booked, any likelihood the so called upgrade fairy might pay a visit?

I think I read somewhere industrywide across all lines the upgrade fairy has had her wings clipped and it doesn't visit nearly as often.

It can happen but is a very rare experience these days.    Right after cruising resumed after COVID it was done quite frequently with the ships only sailing at 25-30% capacity.

I once got a Gratis upgrade to a Penthouse due to the person coming down with Covid the day before the cruise.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I agree that it would be very rare these days. You could always ask at guest services once you board to see if there are any upgraded staterooms available, but it would not likely be free and would be at the difference you paid v the last market price for that category.  The days of free upgrade fairy offerings I believe are long gone.

In our 32 year cruising career we had it happen at n/c twice on RCCL from a Balcony to a JS, and from a JS to a GS. And never on Celebrity.  But those were both years pre-covid.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

As Celebrity rookies it happened to us last month on the Reflection. A week prior to sailing we got upgraded from an inside on deck 3 to a balcony on deck 6. We did not bid, inquire, cross our fingers, or find a four leaf clover. It just happened. Had I missed the email we would have sent off our luggage with the porters with the wrong luggage tags.

• Like 2

It is EXTREMELY rare these days.  If you are a first timer, there is a slight chance it could happen to you.  Anyone else, forget about it, unless you luck into some kind of special circumstance where they ship needs your particular cabin for some reason.  It happened quite a bit during early sailings after restart for people who were booked in the quarantine section.  Those days are past thank goodness.  Once Move Up started, the upgrade fairy went on hiatus never to return.  Even in the olden days when it happened with some frequency, it generally only happened to people who were brand new to Celebrity, or nearly so.  I've sailed 80+ times since 1992.  It has never happened to me.

• Like 1

114 cruise with C and it happened 1 time. Two times with Crystal and once with Oceania. I was a new cruiser on Crystal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Orator said:

114 cruise with C and it happened 1 time. Two times with Crystal and once with Oceania. I was a new cruiser on Crystal.

You must be the exception; however, I was able to move from concierge to what is now called a sunset suite for 150 pp on a long Med cruise.  The room attendant/butler was pretty much MIA, but not an issue at all.  My DH and I just were happy to sit on our balcony and feel blessed.  

27 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

You must be the exception; however, I was able to move from concierge to what is now called a sunset suite for 150 pp on a long Med cruise.  The room attendant/butler was pretty much MIA, but not an issue at all.  My DH and I just were happy to sit on our balcony and feel blessed.  

You did well indeed, but a true upgrade involves no cost to the passenger. That's the way it used to be before the move-up.

28 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Orator said:

You did well indeed, but a true upgrade involves no cost to the passenger. That's the way it used to be before the move-up.

Yes, this happened way before MoveUp spread its wings, starting our suite experiences!  Celebrity hooked us with this one $300 upcharge!  We became believers, but a bit disenchanted today.  We did get a couple of traditional MoveUps to suites with b2b’s suite and SV bookings.  Just today, I received some OBC from the OBC fairy, I guess...not questioning this at all, but spent it fast🫢

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1