Planetarium on Queen Mary 2

jfavenuex

I am scheduled to sail on Queen Mary 2 on May 23, 2024.  I hear the planetarium has not been working for a while.  Does anyone have the current status of the planetarium?  Thanks for all who reply.  

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

It was operating from late February to mid March this year, when I was last on board. There are new seats too!

Edited by QM2_SYD
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You reserve the Planetarium shows using your onboard Cunard App.

Shows are repeated but still book up early in the sailing.

You can line up at the door for no shows which are quite common.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On longer sailings, the chances of not getting in, without reservation, after the first day or two is very low. It's quite a big space and some of the topics may be less than riveting.

The planetarium is also used for some of the Insight lectures, particularly those that have a recorded audio-visual content. These aren't subject to a reservation system.

• Like 3

I'm on QM2 right now, and there are still no planetarium shows. Rumor has it, that there is an issue with the sound system for the dome, that is installed under the red seats. In order to fix it, they would have to close Illuminations for a few days to remove the seats, and this work has not yet been scheduled.

• Thanks 3

Oh, I hope they fix it by July!  My daughter and I were really looking forward to going (the fact that it attracted a 16-year-old perhaps indicates how cool it is).

On 5/9/2024 at 11:03 AM, MCC retired said:

You reserve the Planetarium shows using your onboard Cunard App.

Shows are repeated but still book up early in the sailing.

You can line up at the door for no shows which are quite common.

For those of us who don't do "apps" bookings can be made on the phone - at least they could on our last voyage a year or so ago.  For many years tickets were placed on a desk at 9:00 a.m. - and in the Grills Concierge Lounge - for passengers to take. There was sometimes a queue but we always got tickets even if not for our preferred time. 

Not sure we'd ever have time to sit down and watch something like this, but can anyone give an opinion?

How does QM2's planetarium compare to the London Planetarium in the late 1960's?

I was underwhelmed at the production last summer. They need to upgrade the technology. The subject matter is interesting but the visuals are dated. It’s free and only 45 minutes so worth the visit but one will probably not get blown away. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2024 at 11:56 PM, jfavenuex said:

I am scheduled to sail on Queen Mary 2 on May 23, 2024.  I hear the planetarium has not been working for a while.  Does anyone have the current status of the planetarium?  Thanks for all who reply.  

I have been on this week May 5-12, and it is not working.   

10 hours ago, D&N said:

Not sure we'd ever have time to sit down and watch something like this, but can anyone give an opinion?

How does QM2's planetarium compare to the London Planetarium in the late 1960's?

We were really looking forward to the Planetarium when we were on QM2 last year. We saw both shows that were running and were extremely disappointed with both. I was expecting something akin to the London Planetarium, where almost all the show is the night sky and showing the marvels of space whereas, in reality, it was more like a large screen documentary with much of the subject matter being based on Earth. We didn’t even find it interesting and yet I love Space subjects. 

• Thanks 1