Are Glaciers outdoor AC?

FishTastic

So, new to this forum, tried searching, couldn't find it.  But it seems odd it wouldn't exist.  So I apologize if this is a question you all get often.  But here goes...

Traveling northbound Vancouver to Whittier, second half of July.

What are the temps that I can expect?

If you are visiting a glacier - Glacier Bay, Hubbard, Mendenhall etc. will the glaciers act as big ice cubes/ air conditioning for the outside world and even in July I should plan on coats/ hats? or just a sweatshirt?  I booked excursions (some hiking, some kayaking - tried to get in a variety) - but don't really know what to expect weather wise, other than it'll probably rain some. Everyone says layers... Ok great.  I hike ALOT.  I'm used to layers.  But what layer are we going up to? Puffy coat? or fleece/wool sweatshirt? I assume at the glacier or in a kayak would require warmer clothes than while on ship?

I've done glacier trips in past on small boats, including Glacier Bay and Kenai Fjords, and I'm going on a cruise this summer. I get cold easily, and I'm planning to bring a heavy winter jacket, plus a lightweight puffy jacket to wear underneath, also hat, gloves, long underwear, fleece sweatpants... mind you, I get cold easily. When you're cruising the glaciers you're crusing in a large freezer, and there's like to be wind (maybe rain). Something like Galcier Bay is a several hours, so the way I look at, I want to have enought layers to enjoy standing around in an open, windy freezer for several hours. Now, you also have the option to go inside to warm up, but I'd rather maximize my time outside. 

You can look up average temperatures for the areas you will visit at the time you will be visiting to get an idea.  Once you get closer to your sailing (1-2 weeks) you can check forecasts for more current information.  It will be cooler when sailing near glaciers.

The best way to dress in Alaska is LAYERS.  No bulky coats.  A waterproof rain jacket with a hood.  I tend to take short and long sleeved shirts, a light jacket, a fleece/sweatshirt, and my rain jacket, which doubles as a windbreaker.  I can wear any one or all at once, depending on the weather, and can add or remove as necessary if the weather changes throughout the day.

It depends on how close you get to the glaciers (on most days).

Most glacier days I am outside all day, wearing a jacket and ear protection. It can be cold and windy.

Though - I have to say there was one day when I was at Glacier Bay and it was incredibly warm. I looked over and people were sunning in the pool area and swimming. Anything can happen.

I haven't gotten close to Hubbard Glacier for awhile. So on those days, I can't tell a difference. 

Mendenhall glacier (when you visit via bus/car) usually isn't that cold. It is the temp it usually is in Juneau. If you land on the glacier via helicopter, expect an entirely different answer.

Be prepared - dress in layers.

• Like 1

Glaciers have their own microclimate and can generate fog and even drizzle if the prevailing conditions allow.  Yes it will be cooler.  

+1 on the comment that weather can be unpredictable. First time I went to glacier bay (land trip), I landed, prepared, wearing warm clothes, and it was 90 degrees outside. A few days later I took the small boat to the glacier and needed layers, and I would have spent more time outside if had a warmer jacket on top of my layers. Another year I went camping off grid above the artic circle. The first half of the trip was hot. Like regular summer camping in the lower 48, and I never zipped my sleeping bag. Then the weather turned, and it was like camping in the fall in the lower 48. 50s-60s overcast and drizzly. I added layers and bundled up. There are averages to give a sense of overall temperature, but you can never predict what the weather will be on a specific day. Think about what clothing you'd need on a drizzly day in 50s that would let you stay comfortable outside for several hours straight, and pack enough layers. You might have a nice warm day, or not. I've been to a Alaska a bunch, but it's still super special to me, and I'd rather overpack to give me the ability to stand outside and look at the views for extended periods of time. I don't want to be going inside all the time and missing out because I wanted to pack light. 

Both times we took the small boat up to the glacier, it was quite frigid.  We were shocked at how much colder it was than outside on the deck of the cruise ship.  We layered with long sleeves and sweaters under our water resistent, thick lined, Columbia jackets. I also wore ear muffs with a hood on one trip and a Columbia winter hat on the other trip, along with a winter scarf and gloves, and water resistant hiking boots with thick socks underneath.  The people in sweatshirts or sweaters and light jackets looked like they were freezing.   The weather and your mileage may vary, of course... all I can give you is our perspective from our two experiences with the "tour boat up to the glacier" trips.  Fantastic experience, and glad we dressed the way we did as we were able to stay outside comfortably for the entire excursion.

Adding to above, fleece and/or puffy jacket but not heavy.  Top layer rainproof.  I have a light weight waterproof rain jacket with hood and matching rain pants which each roll up into a pouch so I can easily carry them with me on outings.  They protect me from rain and wind when necessary.  I also take gloves and a warm hat to cover my ears.  They are most useful in Glacier Bay when I want to be out on the bow of the ship.  At least one pair of weather proof hiking shoes if you plan to be active.

Frogg Toggs are a great option for a rainjacket rain pant combo. I would spend 100s at REI unless you know you'll need rain gear at home.

On 5/11/2024 at 8:17 AM, Mary229 said:

Glaciers have their own microclimate and can generate fog and even drizzle if the prevailing conditions allow.  Yes it will be cooler.  

Actually it’s the opposite.  Cold air holds less moisture so often as you come up to a glacier the rain is much less or stops altogether and the clouds and fog lift.

9 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

Actually it’s the opposite.  Cold air holds less moisture so often as you come up to a glacier the rain is much less or stops altogether and the clouds and fog lift.

Arctic oceanic regions are ideal for the formation of fog due to the recurrent coexistence of three key environmental conditions: a supply of moisture, the presence of a cold surface, and calm and stable atmospheric conditions (Gultepe et al., 2003; Przybylak, 2016). 

https://rmets.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/qj.4617

6 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Arctic oceanic regions are ideal for the formation of fog due to the recurrent coexistence of three key environmental conditions: a supply of moisture, the presence of a cold surface, and calm and stable atmospheric conditions (Gultepe et al., 2003; Przybylak, 2016). 

https://rmets.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/qj.4617

True.  If you sail in Arctic waters, especially in the presence of sea ice, such as around the Pribiloffs or off Utkiavik, foggy conditions are prevalent and persistent.  However, Southeast Alaska is in the temperate zone with both sea and land temperatures well above those found further north. The glaciers are on land and only touch the ocean so the environmental conditions are different. Weather in Southeast Alaska is variable with unstable atmospheric conditions and frequent low pressure systems.

2 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

True.  If you sail in Arctic waters, especially in the presence of sea ice, such as around the Pribiloffs or off Utkiavik, foggy conditions are prevalent and persistent. This fog is caused by advection.  However, Southeast Alaska is in the temperate zone with both sea and land temperatures well above those found further north. The glaciers are on land and only touch the ocean so the environmental conditions are different. The lifting effect over glaciers is caused by calm air in the fjord and temperatures at the glacier that can be several degrees colder than the ambient air.  As mentioned, colder air is less humid than warmer air, meaning that there is not enough moisture in the air surrounding the glacier to allow fog to form.

8 minutes ago, SbbquilterUT said:

We have not needed heavy winter coats or puffers at the Glaciers or even Iceland as long as we used thermal undershirt, wool long sleeve shirt, fleece then our waterproof/wind jacket.  Add a wool hat and we were happy.

A scarf is nice too. We rarely wear coats at home and quite often get down into the Fahrenheit teens.  The only caveat is rain and it does rain in Alaska.