Incredibly disappointed with Cunard.

So sorry you're experiencing this . I just don't understand how they have resold and already allocated cabin.

However you said you have to go because of other commitments so....... really play up and push for other perks to help you both enjoy it. Like free spa treatments, more on board spend , drinks package ,exclusive dining experience etc. All those things are at Cunard's discretion!!!! So keep pushing.  Also try to get some agreement that if a balcony or above becomes available that you have first dibs !!!

You will still enjoy it !!! 

Good luck and congratulations 🎉 🎉 👏 on your marriage .

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ditchcrawler said:

Thank you kindly.

I honestly wish we went with the first MSC cruise I found when starting out, rather than researching further. At least that way my wife would have been guaranteed a private outdoor space when she wanted to avoid the crowds which overwhelm her.

Frankly, I've let her down. A balcony was her only big ask from me when going on our first cruise.

We've accomadation and flights booked from Istanbul where the cruise ends, so we have to go.

I feel like a damned failure.

You have not let your wife down.

You have both been let down by Cunard and that’s dreadfully disappointing for all of us who love the brand, never mind you and your wife. Appalling treatment.

You’re having to accept the change but make sure you get as much recompense as possible, and do let them know in no uncertain terms, this is your honeymoon they’ve 'ruined'.

Good luck.

• Like 10

Can’t edit but on a positive note, I think you have chosen to book with the best cruise ship at sea.

Wish we were booked on her but we’re not flying at the moment so it’s Annie at Sea for us.

Let your cabin steward, the M'd, Uncle Tom Cobley and all know it’s your honeymoon and it wouldn’t hurt to let some know the let down you’ve experienced too.

Best of luck.

• Like 4

What a mess, I hope you can salvage something from this and that your TA pushes Cunard hard to make it up to you.

Queen Victoria has lots of lovely outdoor space and as others have posted, there's still a chance that a balcony might become available at the last minute. 

Please let us know the outcome. 

• Like 2

Talk to  cunard directly as well as getting TA to, let them know it's your honeymoon and how let down  you feel.  As well as the refund there is a lot Cunard can do to make you feel extra special on board. Explain you specifically wanted a balcony because your wife doesn't like crowded spaces. I'd push for access to the grills deck.

Start off nice , always be polite,  but if push comes to shove explain it  would be a PR disaster if this spread across media and social media. Cunard ruins honeymoon by selling  balcony cabin twice (doesn't have to be true but sounds gòd)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, david63 said:

Not sure that Cunard will talk directly about such things when the booking is via a TA

Under normal  circumstances no , but this is not normal. 

• Like 2

From the OP’s point of view, he probably wishes that Cunard shows the compassion that he has experienced here from the Cunard Cruise Critic community.  I truly hope Cunard steps up and does the right thing for your honeymoon. 

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, david63 said:

Not sure that Cunard will talk directly about such things when the booking is via a TA

Usually they won't, but it's worth a try. And definitely ask at the front desk first thing after boarding. Another possibility is to talk to the World Club people on board. I recall someone saying that's where they check to see if there's availability for an onboard upgrade. 

Bring along all the paperwork, as your onboard account will probably not show the "history" of your booking. 

• Like 3

Firstly, sorry to hear this. Secondly, have you been able to speak with Cunard directly? I ask because the transcript you provided mentions they wish to speak with you regarding this, I am hoping that if you have - or are willing to - speak with Cunard directly they might understand the situation this has put you in. Not least of all the stress caused after checking in to your assigned cabin. 

I truly hope you reach a resolution that is satisfactory for you both, and you can enjoy your honeymoon together.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, DukeBeetle24 said:

Firstly, sorry to hear this. Secondly, have you been able to speak with Cunard directly? I ask because the transcript you provided mentions they wish to speak with you regarding this, I am hoping that if you have - or are willing to - speak with Cunard directly they might understand the situation this has put you in. Not least of all the stress caused after checking in to your assigned cabin. 

I truly hope you reach a resolution that is satisfactory for you both, and you can enjoy your honeymoon together.

My TA has told them that I am expecting them to contact me. He has even furnished them with my number.

The rep he was dealing with waited until 16:55 yesterday to tell him I had until close of business today to come to a decision, and conveniently passed him on to a colleague as they were taking today off.

There is not a single instance of the word "sorry" from Cunards correspondence. 

Edited by Ditchcrawler

2 minutes ago, Ditchcrawler said:

My TA has told them that I am expecting them to contact me. He has even furnished them with my number.

The rep he was dealing with waited until 16:55 yesterday to tell him I had until close of business today to come to a decision, and conveniently passed him on to a colleague as they were taking today off.

This is most bizarre, I am sorry you've had to experience this. It does not sound normal, nor acceptable.

Although they should be contacting you directly - or your TA should be handling this for you as a matter of urgency - I would be tempted to call them directly and explain what has happened and ask what is going on and why. There should be an apology at the very least as a starting point.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Ditchcrawler said:

I would suggest that you escalate this above front line staff to as high up the chain as you can get.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, david63 said:

I would suggest that you escalate this above front line staff to as high up the chain as you can get.

Spot on, I would be hopping mad!

I hate to say this but be the squeaky wheel, in a reasonable way😉

Edited by Judyrem
Mistake
  • Like 2

I am so sorry for the situation Cunard has placed you in at a time when you should be relaxing, you shouldn't feel any guilt,  you chose wisely picking Queen Victoria for your honeymoon and you will have a fantastic time even in the cabin they have assigned you, they're lovely cabins. 

I am happy to see that this topic is getting a lot of interest, I'm checking in every now and again willing you a successful outcome as are so many others.  Cunard I'm sure will be aware of this post and if not, perhaps you should drop it into the conversation when you eventually get to speak to someone.  It worries me that this could happen in the future to any of us.

I wish you luck with this predicament and with your trip.  Please keep us updated.  Congratulations and have a wonderful honeymoon.

• Like 5

We have been on 55 cruises with Cunard and never come across this situation before.

I was just wondering whether this occurred due to confusion between the agent and Cunard.  I don’t think this has been mentioned before.

i understand agents sometimes block book a number of cabins for resale and perhaps the error occurred in the individual cabin numbers agreed between the agent and Cunard.  In this situation a particular cabin number might be sold twice.

Just a thought!

• Like 1

Another thought .....who booked it first??? Can they ask the other booking to move cabins as it's your honeymoon!!!! Got to be worth a try .

Cunard have backed down.

Quote from my TA's email:

"You have your balcony cabin as originally booked, they have apologised for the attempt to downgrade and admitted it was an unusual situation"

Thank you all for your help. 

Frankly, I suspect the outcome would have been more unfavourable without it.

You have your balcony cabin as originally booked, they have apologised for the attempt to downgrade and admitted it was an unusual situation

You have your balcony cabin as originally booked, they have apologised for the attempt to downgrade and admitted it was an unusual situation

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Strange that a Cunard fare is being downgraded rather than a Saver fare where no cabin is initially allocated

Your TA should be asking for more OBC, especially as it's your honeymoon, and/or some specialty dining

Wondering if their upgrade bidding process has screwed up, shuffling too many people up?

19 minutes ago, Ditchcrawler said:

"You have your balcony cabin as originally booked, they have apologised for the attempt to downgrade and admitted it was an unusual situation"

Thank goodness for that.

It was useful sharing it here, and the end result. If you get the time, it would be good to hear your impressions after travel and hopefully some amazing time in Istanbul. I'm sure there are other first time / honeymooner who would appreciate any insights you have.

• Like 4