Incredibly disappointed with Cunard.

Posted (edited)

Hi folks,

I am due to embark Queen Victoria on the 13th for our honeymoon. I have booked the cunard fare and a specific cabin. I have checked in.

I have just received a call from my travel agent to inform me that Cunard have oversold their balcony cabins and wish to downgrade me to an ocean view with a 50% refund.

This is simply not acceptable. I am bloody furious. This is my first cruise with Cunard. Is this normal behaviour on their part? Is this how they conduct business?

Has anyone else experienced such behaviour from Cunard?

I shall report back after my TA has spoken to Cunard.

Should they back down I would be happy forgive, forget and move on.

Thank you for any advice you might be able to give.

Edited by Ditchcrawler
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Ditchcrawler changed the title to Incredibly disappointed with Cunard.

Never heard of that happening before. It's not like an aeroplane that gets regularly oversold to compensate for "no shows".

If all the rooms are booked then there should be zero "no shows".

Something is definitely not right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I read that may happen on other lines when a guaranteed room is booked.

When you choose your room number during booking, isn't it specifically assigned to you so how can this happen?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Ditchcrawler said:

I have just received a call from my travel agent to inform me that Cunard have oversold their balcony cabins and wish to downgrade me to an ocean view with a 50% refund.

I suspect that they are just sounding out who, if any, are willing to downgrade. As the term "wish to downgrade" is being used then there is the obvious answer - NO I do not wish to downgrade!

• Like 3

My TA has shared his email correspondence with me. 

Cunard say they do not have a balcony cabin to allocate me. I have until tomorrow to cancel or accept the downgrade.

I'm literally in the middle of my honeymoon. My wife as of five days was the one who asked to book Cunard over Azamara because of the atmosphere. I literally bought my tuxedo today.

I will share the email thread between my TA and Cunard when she has gone to bed.

I am utterly speechless.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry to hear this has happened but it's not a regular occurrence. Please don't share any details which could identify your Travel Agent.

I hope you can reach a resolution. 

• Like 2

I do not understand or comprehend how this has happened given you have booked Cunard fare and chosen your cabin.  Sounds very suspect and unheard of to me.  Hope this matter is resolved soon in your favour.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Host Hattie I shall share nothing that can identify anyone. Editing out personal details will take some time as I am mobile, hence why I'm waiting until she goes to bed. I have my TA's consent to share the redacted thread here. He says he has seen nothing like this in his professional career.

Edited by Ditchcrawler
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You would think with the hundreds of balcony cabins, someone who isn't on their honeymoon would be willing to do a deal on downgrading, given a significant enough level of encouragement. I'd definitely be willing to do a deal if I was on the ship, as the cabin is just somewhere to sleep to me.

This seems very strange, not least given they always sell 'guaranteed' grades without allocations, who you would think would be first in line for a let down. I've not heard of them (or anyone in this kind of industry) picking on an individual and giving them an ultimatum before, but I guess they are trying to avoid even more of a disappointment and scene on Monday after guests have flown out to Rome and are starting to panic. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

More seriously,  say OK I'll accept  cabin downgrade, only  if I am upgraded to the QG dining room , allowed to use grills deck etc, plus what ever perks other people here could suggest , premium drinks packages...

PS still insist on full compensation,  which by the way if it was airline  by law you should get 75% of fare

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 3

Did you ask what has happened to  the cabin on your original booking form. Did your T A definitely book you a Cunard fare with your chosen cabin number? I just don’t understand how your original  cabin could not be available? If it was a guaranteed cabin I could understand there could be an imbalance. I have never heard of this before and I think I would want more evidence from T A what was actually originally booked. I am someone who would take a downgrade for the appropriate financial consideration. Cabins are allocated around 3 weeks out for guarantees so shouldn’t discover so late that Cunard Fares have no cabins. Presumably you booked a while ago. 

• Like 2

Sounds like a potential PR nightmare for Cunard. I assume their social media person monitors this sight. If they do it would be the right thing to major upgrade, find someone else to take the hot, or if no other options refund the full rate and give the ocean view cabin along with going on bended knee to make it the cruise of their lives.

• Like 2

We've been to dinner, I've had a few glasses of wine and have calmed down somewhat. With that in mind I do realise I need to demonstrate that what is happening to me may happen to another couple on their honeymoon. Here are our baggage tags which I laminated and punched.

20240509_230607.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Here is the start of a redacted conversation between my TA and Cunard which I have specific  permission from my TA to post here. (Why did they not email my TA or myself such important information after being unsuccessful on the first attempt?) Any personal details I share are of my own. My name is Lee Hughes. I am happy to share this openly. It is no secret. Screenshot_20240509_230126_Gmail.thumb.jpg.92016258f314c32d22a68487f09c85cf.jpg

Edited by Ditchcrawler

Posted (edited)

One possible explanation could be that there is an issue with the balcony cabin that means that it is not possible to have passengers occupying it. If that is the case then this is being very badly handled.

One other thing that looks odd is why are they using plurals in the email - have you booked more than one cabin?

Edited by david63
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I am sorry to read about this, I can well understand why you are angry about this. It won't be any consolation that's the first time I've heard of this, other than when there was a broken pipe and some staterooms were flooded just before departure. This sounds like something else, such as somehow Cunard sold your stateroom twice over without realising it. 

The refund is a reasonably sensible amount in that outside cabins tend to be about 20 - 25% cheaper than balconies, and here you are getting a 50%. You can kind of see that in the offer of the 20% FCC for another booking, you can see the margins in play here. 

I think only you and your new wife (for which congratulations) can decide whether to go ahead or not. If your TA is any good, s/he should try and get a few perks added as a consolation (e.g. alternative dining meals). There is at least an outside possibility that someone with a balcony, the largest category on board, is a no-show thanks to illness or family emergency, and while I don't want to get your hopes up that is at least a possibility. If the check-in desk can't help check this (they are outsourced agents) then you should have a go with the purser's desk on arrival.

If you bought this via a TA as a package, then my reading of the legislation is that you can have the full cost back including flights, hotels and what not, ditto Linked Travel Arrangements bought within 24 hours from the same agent. Your TA should be able to explain the position here, but they obviously will seek to discourage a cancellation on this basis.

You also want to know what stateroom they are offering you, at the moment Cunard are only selling obstructed view outside staterooms, which isn't going to add to your happiness.

Edited by Pushpit
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

I am sorry to read about this, I can well understand why you are angry about this. It won't be any consolation that's the first time I've heard of this, other than when there was a broken pipe and some staterooms were flooded just before departure. This sounds like something else, such as somehow Cunard sold your stateroom twice over without realising it. 

The refund is a reasonably sensible amount in that outside cabins tend to be about 20 - 25% cheaper than balconies, and here you are getting a 50%. You can kind of see that in the offer of the 20% FCC for another booking, you can see the margins in play here. 

I think only you and your new wife (for which congratulations) can decide whether to go ahead or not. If your TA is any good, s/he should try and get a few perks added as a consolation (e.g. alternative dining meals). There is at least an outside possibility that someone with a balcony, the largest category on board, is a no-show thanks to illness or family emergency, and while I don't want to get your hopes up that is at least a possibility. If the check-in desk can't help check this (they are outsourced agents) then you should have a go with the purser's desk on arrival.

If you bought this via a TA as a package, then my reading of the legislation is that you can have the full cost back including flights, hotels and what not, ditto Linked Travel Arrangements bought within 24 hours from the same agent. Your TA should be able to explain the position here, but they obviously will seek to discourage a cancellation on this basis.

You also want to know what stateroom they are offering you, at the moment Cunard are only selling obstructed view outside staterooms, which isn't going to add to your happiness.

Thank you kindly.

I honestly wish we went with the first MSC cruise I found when starting out, rather than researching further. At least that way my wife would have been guaranteed a private outdoor space when she wanted to avoid the crowds which overwhelm her.

Frankly, I've let her down. A balcony was her only big ask from me when going on our first cruise.

We've accomadation and flights booked from Istanbul where the cruise ends, so we have to go.

I feel like a damned failure.

It's a difficult time, but it isn't your fault and you should take no responsibility for what happened. You did everything needed, and unfortunately you are one of the rare cases where this happened. Just really bad luck. You will see above it's not just me saying that, this is unusual. 

That sailing has some amazing things to look at en route, so having a balcony would be very much part of that, irrespective of other factors. That said QV is not a particularly crowded ship, on the contrary some of us enjoy it because of the space and openness in the public areas. She definitely isn't a floating barge packed to the gunnels.  I would also get your TA negotiating an improved set of terms with Cunard for this, though you do now have a big refund which perhaps you could do something good with that.

Was the accommodation and flights booked together with the QV or separately? There are consumer protections that may come into play here if it was booked together.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ditchcrawler said:

Thank you kindly.

I honestly wish we went with the first MSC cruise I found when starting out, rather than researching further. At least that way my wife would have been guaranteed a private outdoor space when she wanted to avoid the crowds which overwhelm her.

Frankly, I've let her down. A balcony was her only big ask from me when going on our first cruise.

We've accomadation and flights booked from Istanbul where the cruise ends, so we have to go.

I feel like a damned failure.

You may not believe it now, but I believe you made the right decision to honeymoon on Cunard. You two will have a much calmer and elegant experience vs. MSC. When you have kids, then give MSC a go.

You’ll also have a chance to rake Cunard over the coals if they don’t do right by you at the end. 
Please enjoy your voyage, I’ve done a similar itinerary on Queen Elizabeth and it’s beautiful. 

• Like 4

WOW complete BS on the part of Cunard.  You have every right to be furious, I sure would be.  And on your honeymoon too I'm so sorry. 

I've sailed on Cunard probably 20+ times and such a thing has never happened.  I have been bought off an oversold sailing before to where I received a full refund and a free cruise.  That was awesome no complaints there (QV maiden crossing). 

Regardless of whether you booked a guarantee or specific cabin should not make a difference.  You booked and paid for a certain category.  In your case even a specific cabin which is more puzzling.  I wonder if it was just your cabin or a group of cabins and how they decided who would be downgraded?  If it's just your cabin and due to some technical issue with the cabin then Cunard should be transparent about it.  That is quite different then overselling the category.  I would be much more forgiving knowing it was a one-off circumstance that was out of their control and they were upfront about it.  I don't feel it was that.

Needless to say it's horrible way to start your first Cunard experience.  I wouldn't blame you one bit if it becomes your last.  If you can't trust the integrity of the booking process (getting what you paid for), it would be difficult to trust Cunard in the future.  

I do hope they go above and beyond for you once onboard the ship.  They absolutely should and any good company would.  It's called service recovery.  They need new future Cunard cruisers to fill these ships, and you are just that.    

• Like 9