Crown Princess diverted to Haines

Has anyone heard why/how the Crown Princess ended up in Haines today? It was due to visit Skagway. I noticed it left Juneau almost 3 hours late last night.

44 minutes ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

Skagway:

My first thought was weather, says 40 degrees, FOG, rain, wind 25mph to continue to 4pm today.

Yeah, that kind of weather would not make it easy for a cruise ship heading up the narrow passage to Skagway. The weather must have closed in a few hours after sunrise; it looks like two other ships made it in before 7 AM.

11 minutes ago, RV Queen said:

We will be sailing Alaska next week.   Anybody heard why ship diverted?

Haines is often used as an alternative to Skagway. I have seen it mostly due to weather when a ship is due to be anchored off of the pier and the captain does not think it is safe to tender 

2 hours ago, memoak said:

Haines is often used as an alternative to Skagway. I have seen it mostly due to weather when a ship is due to be anchored off of the pier and the captain does not think it is safe to tender 

🤞for next week.  I would love to go to Haines! 

• Like 3

I was on this cruise.  Combination of weather, a rare tide called a King Tide, and the fact that the regular pier is undergoing some maintenance.   The captain felt that we could get into Skagway okay, but maynot be able to get back out.  The next day was our Glacier Bay day and he didn't want to risk missing GB. We were all in agreement.   Come to find out a Royal ship did go into Skagway and was not able to make it out until the next day.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Walkthedesert said:

I was on this cruise.  Combination of weather, a rare tide called a King Tide, and the fact that the regular pier is undergoing some maintenance.   The captain felt that we could get into Skagway okay, but maynot be able to get back out.  The next day was our Glacier Bay day and he didn't want to risk missing GB. We were all in agreement.   Come to find out a Royal ship did go into Skagway and was not able to make it out until the next day.

Thank you very much for the information! I agree with the captain’s priorities as well. I hope you enjoyed the trip; we will be on Crown in June.

18 hours ago, Walkthedesert said:

Thanks for the info.  I trust Capt Lye to make the right decisions.  One of the better captains, and always visible around the ship.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Walkthedesert said:

Thanks for the info. Interesting info - had never heard of King Tide. Glad you made it to GB!