Ballroom dancing

ilv4cruising

Hi all,

I've been debating about asking this question in case it results in a lot of negative responses but here it goes :).

I love to "ballroom" dance (but I'm no expert).   

My husband likes to have a few slow dances with me but he isn't a "ballroom dancer" as he has some physical limitations, due to 2 not very successful spinal fusions he lives with chronic back pain and nerve impairment in one leg.  We have never been on the QM2 but on other ships we usually find a small corner on the dance floor to enjoy our dances together.

From what I've been reading in my research about the QM2 (or maybe just Cunard in general) the dancers on the floor are quite serious about their ballroom dancing.  This is making my husband really concerned about whether or not he will be able to dance with me as he "might get in the way", hear negative comments, or even worse, get bumped by some dancers (which could cause him pain).  FYI - he is not the type to ignore the comments/looks sadly, if he feels in the way he will just sit.

So here are my questions:

1 - If we do something similar (e.g. find a small corner on the dance floor) for the few dances we will do (usually he can only do a couple of dances at a time and usually to a foxtrot tempo)) will the other dancers frown/comment on this?  He is already self-conscious on he limited dancing ability and if he feels like he is in the way, that will be it for us dancing for the duration.

2 - My understanding there will be dance hosts for the "single" people.  Would they still consider dancing with me so I can do more dancing than my husband is capable of?

We are looking at our first QM2 crossing but want to do a more lengthy itinerary but we are concerned about the # of sea days and if we will be able to enjoy the ballroom or not. 

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hello!

We did 7 or 8 crossings before Covid and enjoyed our time in the Queen’s Room very much. 
I didn't know how to dance at all. I took 2 or 3 dance classes on board.
The very first dance I had with my husnband was on the QM2 🥰 but my heels steeped on his shoes countless times.

I had so much fun that I didn’t care what the others think. People didn’t comment or give me strange look.
People just danced at their own pace no matter what kind of music was on. 
Of course, there were some very skilled and serious dancers. But eveyone just want to have a fun time. 

There were both male and female dance hosts while I was last on board. The others can tell you if there are any changes after Covid. I have danced with the dance host but it was more like him giving me additional lessons. 
Some ladies asked my husband to dance on several nights.

I think you and your husband do not need to worry too much. Just enjoy your time! 

Edited by Yoshikitty
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ilv4cruising said:

1 - If we do something similar (e.g. find a small corner on the dance floor) for the few dances we will do (usually he can only do a couple of dances at a time and usually to a foxtrot tempo)) will the other dancers frown/comment on this?  He is already self-conscious on he limited dancing ability and if he feels like he is in the way, that will be it for us dancing for the duration.

2 - My understanding there will be dance hosts for the "single" people.  Would they still consider dancing with me so I can do more dancing than my husband is capable of?

1 - If you find a small corner on the dance floor, particularly if you are up early and before other dancers and make clear by your movements that you are sticking to that space then all the other dancers should just avoid that corner. There is no problem with that. There is no rule that suggests dancers must dance into every corner, but they are expected to avoid colliding with dancers that are already occupying a space!

2 - We sailed at end of pandemic and there were no dance hosts, but I've seen a few more recently in YT videos. My understanding is that they will dance with folk whose partners don't dance or aren't physically able as well as singles. I suggest you make your situation clear to some of them early in your trip.

• Like 2

If it's a progressive dance like Foxtrot, the safer place would be toward the center of the dance floor, leaving the outside lane for the "experts".

• Like 1

I am glad that your husband is willing to do some dancing but understand your concern about collisions. Good dancers should have enough floor craft to leave you some space but sadly, some don’t have enough skill so collisions can unfortunately happen. The biggest risk is if you are dancing opposite to the line or direction of dance for dances like the foxtrot that travel around the room. That’s why what @57eric says is right - the safest place for you during a dance that travels is in the center of the room. Another slow dance option might be the rumba where you will be fine in a corner or anywhere on the floor as other dancers are not travelling around the floor.

We have an up coming QM2 cruise but our last one was some time ago so I don’t know if things have changed. On our previous cruise the floor often was crowded later in the evening so you might want to check it out when the dancing starts so the collision risk is lower with fewer people on the floor.

I really hope you do dance and have a great time. 

• Like 1

Like the last two posts, I would normally prefer dancers that are doing something more or less on the spot to use the centre of the floor. However in this case I get the impression that the physical impairment and self consciousness described might make it difficult for the OP to get their husband to the middle of the floor.

In which case they would be easier to avoid in a corner than part way along the line of dance.

If the problems are not as bad as I've understood them to be then I would suggest staying in the middle, and probably best not to attempt it when the floor is packed. It gets really busy for the first few dances on a gala night.

• Like 3

Thank you all for the advice, very helpful.  Sounds like the best option will be the centre of the floor if he is willing to do it.  I guess we will have to see what it is like at that time but I'm guessing it won't be a lot of dancing for us as a couple :(.

I do appreciate the input though.

Thanks,

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ilv4cruising said:

Hi all,

I've been debating about asking this question in case it results in a lot of negative responses but here it goes :).

I love to "ballroom" dance (but I'm no expert).   

My husband likes to have a few slow dances with me but he isn't a "ballroom dancer" as he has some physical limitations, due to 2 not very successful spinal fusions he lives with chronic back pain and nerve impairment in one leg.  We have never been on the QM2 but on other ships we usually find a small corner on the dance floor to enjoy our dances together.

From what I've been reading in my research about the QM2 (or maybe just Cunard in general) the dancers on the floor are quite serious about their ballroom dancing.  This is making my husband really concerned about whether or not he will be able to dance with me as he "might get in the way", hear negative comments, or even worse, get bumped by some dancers (which could cause him pain).  FYI - he is not the type to ignore the comments/looks sadly, if he feels in the way he will just sit.

So here are my questions:

We are looking at our first QM2 crossing but want to do a more lengthy itinerary but we are concerned about the # of sea days and if we will be able to enjoy the ballroom or not. 

Thanks in advance.

My wife and I find it challenging on the QM2 more than when we were on the QE2.

Those "Harvest Moon Ball" participates can create an uneasiness on the floor and those that seem liking to perform do take up space. My DW and I love to do the Slow Dances also and wish all would follow a circle pattern.

Coming up in March, we do hope to do a lot of use of the Queen Room and wonderful music that is played. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 57eric said:

If it's a progressive dance like Foxtrot, the safer place would be toward the center of the dance floor, leaving the outside lane for the "experts".

The real experts know how to avoid traffic. It's the ones who have memorized a pattern and cannot deviate from it that are the danger.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2024 at 2:16 PM, ilv4cruising said:

get bumped by some dancers (which could cause him pain)

I see pictures and videos of the dance floor on QM2 and it looks like there are only about 15 or so couples dancing, However every voyage we have been on (diamond) the dance floor has been very crowded and I have been bumped often. How hard would the bump have to be to cause him pain. Is it worth a few dances to maybe have pain. 

I have seen a few times people who are dancing close to the windows. Even if you have not been to the Queen's Room, you will know where I mean when you get there. Do not dance by the entrance though. It is carpet, but there is probably a space that you might do a bit of dancing. As long as no one is sitting at the tables nearby.  Just like when you might do a bit of a dance in your living room. We occasionally have a living room dance. Crazy but true.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oceansandseas said:

I see pictures and videos of the dance floor on QM2 and it looks like there are only about 15 or so couples dancing, However every voyage we have been on (diamond) the dance floor has been very crowded and I have been bumped often.

I have seen a few times people who are dancing close to the windows.

True there are alternative locations one can dance in the room. But the anticipation to dance in and on the Queen Room dance floor is the main attraction for all to experience and should be equally shared by all those also sharing the Queen Mary 2.

Those with higher skills should be considerate to those lessor and welcome them on the dance floor. I for one while dancing see some one attempting with great effort, would bow to their efforts and share the space even with a gentle gesture of acknowledgement.

In plain words "We Are All On The Same Ship" aren't we?

• Like 6

I agree BklynBoy8. However, OP said that if her husband was bumped it could cause him pain. 

It would not be intentional, but it does happen. I would feel terrible if I bumped him and caused him pain.

12 hours ago, oceansandseas said:

I agree BklynBoy8. However, OP said that if her husband was bumped it could cause him pain. 

It would not be intentional, but it does happen. I would feel terrible if I bumped him and caused him pain.

Thank you.  That is our concern as well, but we also want to respect those other, more capable dancers so trying to figure out a balance.  Sadly it looks like the trip we picked is popular as it is almost sold out so I'm assuming the dance floor will be crowded 😞 .  It is a 26 day trip so we would like to have some dances 🙂.

On 5/11/2024 at 7:16 PM, ilv4cruising said:

I had a look last night quite specifically at this question, trying to work out how it would work for you. Now the context was that Queens Room wasn't that busy, between 8 and 14 couples on the floor. What I noticed was the two corners of the dance floor furthest from the band were not much used. The area is an oblong but the dancers were on an oval flow line, so those two corners were a bit beyond their circuit.

So if you were in those far corners I think think you would be fine, not disturbing the other couples and not right in the middle - which would have been best, but it's not a place for the self conscious when it's not so busy. Had there been a lot more couples then maybe that would be different, but some music pieces are less popular with the dancers anyway. Of the two corners, the one port side is better than starboard since the keen dancers would be approaching the floor close to that starboard corner, but there is enough space to pass through even so.

I don't really understand this but on the other side nearest the musicians, those corners were more actively used.

As for the solo dancers, yes on every QM2 that I've been on, if it's clear you want to dance, someone will invite you. The provision varies a lot from sailing to sailing, in terms of whether there are dancers with name badges on (so facilitated via Cunard in some form or other). But in addition to that there are other solo dancers, both male and female, and it's all very collegiate.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, maggielou362 said:

Take heed of what @D&N, @Pushpit, @mahasamatman, @BklynBoy8 et al have said. This is YOUR holiday, dance to your heart's content, smile graciously and apologise quietly if you accidentally collide. Good dancers know how to avoid us amateurs, just have a lovely time and enjoy the music, the moment and the movement.

I believe the best night, and this is my opinion, in the Queens Room that ROCKS the room is the Big Band Evening.. I look forward to that of on all the sailings. I even have chills thinks of it 304 days from now....."Let The Good Times Roll"....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pushpit said:

I had a look last night quite specifically at this question, trying to work out how it would work for you. Now the context was that Queens Room wasn't that busy, between 8 and 14 couples on the floor. What I noticed was the two corners of the dance floor furthest from the band were not much used. The area is an oblong but the dancers were on an oval flow line, so those two corners were a bit beyond their circuit.

So if you were in those far corners I think think you would be fine, not disturbing the other couples and not right in the middle - which would have been best, but it's not a place for the self conscious when it's not so busy. Had there been a lot more couples then maybe that would be different, but some music pieces are less popular with the dancers anyway. Of the two corners, the one port side is better than starboard since the keen dancers would be approaching the floor close to that starboard corner, but there is enough space to pass through even so.

I don't really understand this but on the other side nearest the musicians, those corners were more actively used.

As for the solo dancers, yes on every QM2 that I've been on, if it's clear you want to dance, someone will invite you. The provision varies a lot from sailing to sailing, in terms of whether there are dancers with name badges on (so facilitated via Cunard in some form or other). But in addition to that there are other solo dancers, both male and female, and it's all very collegiate.

I truly appreciate you doing this for us.  I think we should be able to find a solution.  Maybe not all nights but at least some of them.

Thank you

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ilv4cruising said:

I truly appreciate you doing this for us.  I think we should be able to find a solution.  Maybe not all nights but at least some of them.

Thank you

No problem, and since then I've just seen another round of dancing in the Queens Room, which was busier, and again the two corners furthest from the band were not much used.

I'm thinking why that is, and at that end there is a slightly raised gallery of seating and a few steps down from that gallery to the dance floor. The front of of that seating area, overlooking the floor, has a glass fronted barrier, so the movers and shakers are going to be a bit careful not to crash their arms into that barrier, or the steps, as they go around. At the other end, by the band, there isn't this barrier. That's the logic that I can adduce here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pushpit said:

No problem, and since then I've just seen another round of dancing in the Queens Room, which was busier, and again the two corners furthest from the band were not much used.

I'm thinking why that is, and at that end there is a slightly raised gallery of seating and a few steps down from that gallery to the dance floor. The front of of that seating area, overlooking the floor, has a glass fronted barrier, so the movers and shakers are going to be a bit careful not to crash their arms into that barrier, or the steps, as they go around. At the other end, by the band, there isn't this barrier. That's the logic that I can adduce here.

Some folks might not be too keen on getting hemmed into a corner. I see them as a challenge to dance as far into and back out as possible. There is of course the access slope to those corners, where possibly some couples might join the floor. If dancers are approaching the floor by those slopes I would navigate away from there to give them space to join the floor. And if someone is in that corner I would never try to nudge them out!

At the band stand end the corners are more acute so I find it odd that many are using those corners. We dance into them if they're not blocked. Unless of course these nights have included the enlarged band. When that's the case there are often musicians on the dance floor and you probably can't get to the physical corners of the floor near the stage. The effective corners then are a few feet back and most people would probably dance to those corners.

• Like 1

We are decidedly not « serious » ballroom dancers, but we’ve had a great time on the ship’s dance floor. Our pattern is to go early in the evening and at later times, to sit and enjoy watching th3 more crowded dance floor.

i hope you can relax about this and have a good time. There are occasionally some much better dancers who seem to want to « own » the floor, but in our experience those happy to share vastly outnumber those who are pretending to be in a competition.

I don’t think anyone else has suggested this, but do go to the lunchtime dance lessons (I’m guessing they do them on a crossing too?) as it will familiarise you with the space, some of the other less confident dancers AND it’s led by the professional dancers/dance hosts so they’ll be a friendly face in the evening too. 

• Like 3

I am a solo traveller and ballroom dancer so here's my two cents:  Most nights, there is pre-recorded ballroom dance music played in the Queens Room for 45 minutes, starting at 7:30 or 7:45 (I forget the specific time).  During this period, it's never crowded so you would have plenty of room; there may be 5 or 6 (at the most) other couples on the floor but that leaves plenty of room. (Some of those other couples are beginners and others are experienced dancers.)  During the main ballroom dancing session with the band, there are two quieter times - when the session begins and the final 30-45 minutes.  Any "Gala" night - whether Big Band, Red & Gold, Black & White, Roaring 20's, etc - is always more crowded so I avoid those nights!!

In terms of dance hosts, QM2 does have hosts whose remit is to dance with solo female travellers or ladies who's partners don't/can't dance.  You'll recognize them because they wear name tags (and at the beginning of the evening, they stand at the back of the Queens Room).  It's absolutely fine to approach them, say hello and explain that your husband may not be able to dance often, but that you would love to dance with the hosts.  (The reason I suggest this approach is that the hosts tend to focus on unaccompanied women when asking someone to dance - that sounds creepy, which I don't mean!  It's just that in the 30 seconds between the end of one song and the beginning of another, they scan the crowd so if you've met them, they'll remember you.  😁

9 hours ago, Queenvee said:

I am a solo traveller and ballroom dancer so here's my two cents:  Most nights, there is pre-recorded ballroom dance music played in the Queens Room for 45 minutes, starting at 7:30 or 7:45 (I forget the specific time).  During this period, it's never crowded so you would have plenty of room; there may be 5 or 6 (at the most) other couples on the floor but that leaves plenty of room. (Some of those other couples are beginners and others are experienced dancers.)  During the main ballroom dancing session with the band, there are two quieter times - when the session begins and the final 30-45 minutes.  Any "Gala" night - whether Big Band, Red & Gold, Black & White, Roaring 20's, etc - is always more crowded so I avoid those nights!!

In terms of dance hosts, QM2 does have hosts whose remit is to dance with solo female travellers or ladies who's partners don't/can't dance.  You'll recognize them because they wear name tags (and at the beginning of the evening, they stand at the back of the Queens Room).  It's absolutely fine to approach them, say hello and explain that your husband may not be able to dance often, but that you would love to dance with the hosts.  (The reason I suggest this approach is that the hosts tend to focus on unaccompanied women when asking someone to dance - that sounds creepy, which I don't mean!  It's just that in the 30 seconds between the end of one song and the beginning of another, they scan the crowd so if you've met them, they'll remember you.  😁

What Queenvee suggests is right. Go early when there is piped music or maybe a duet playing. There is also sequence dancing which is not that busy. We’ve only danced on the QM2 and QE and our preference is the QM2 Queens room. Have a fabulous time 🛳️