Ship Time or Local on Norwegian Ship in Bermuda

Morning all! Posting this to the NCL board since I have a feeling the answer is cruise line specific rather than port specific…

I will be on the Gem in August going to Bermuda. Does the ship stay on ship time (Eastern), or will it jump to port/local (Atlantic)? I know normally it always stays on ship time, but have come across some conflicting info for Bermuda since we’re there for two overnights. 

(And yes, I know I can wait until I’m onboard to find out, but I’m a planner! Lol!)

17 minutes ago, lab_love123 said:

Does the ship stay on ship time (Eastern), or will it jump to port/local (Atlantic)?

"ship time" is not technically "ET," even if you departed from a port located in the eastern time zone.  ship time is... well... ship time... it's a unique concept independent of time zones and evolves and changes at the discretion of the captain. it usually is the same as local time, but it may not be. (on transatlantic voyages, for instance, there is often a change of an hour or two every couple of days, which may not correspond to your geographic location in the middle of the ocean.)

ship time is what you set your watch or phone to in order to know when to get back in time for departure. always check your watch or phone as you leave the ship to make sure it corresponds to ship time. be aware that sometimes the ship time shown on the data screen on the TV in your room may not yet have been updated to reflect the accurate ship time, even if it's already well into the morning.

local time is, well, local time. and there are unique situations in which the ship's time may not be set to local time. that being said, every time i have ever called on bermuda on any cruise line, ship time has always matched local time.

• Like 1

on all of my Bermuda cruises, ship time always changes to local Bermuda time that has 1 hour time difference 

the time change always seems to occur on the first sea day and night the ship leaves Bermuda 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was just on Joy a couple of weeks ago-ship time changed to Bermuda time on the 2nd sea day  (day before we arrived in Bermuda) and we changed back the day after we left (2am Sat)

• Thanks 1

I’ve done Boston to Bermuda trips before and the ship switches to Bermuda time (one hour ahead of Boston) on the Saturday after you leave Boston. 

I assume they switch back to Boston time the Wednesday after you leave Bermuda but I’m not 100% sure of that. (The switch happened on Thursday when I was on the cruise but that was before they added the stop in Maine)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lab_love123 said:

Thank you everyone who has responded for the good info! Appreciate it!

I like to bring a regular watch on cruises that I set to the time that is being used by the ship. This is just in case the time on my phone or on a smart watch automatically adjusts to something different. Plus I do not like to always be carrying around my phone.