Is it true? bring wine aboard

We passed on the Free at sea drink package. But still would like to bring on a bottle of wine. In the small print I saw if you don't have the free at sea they will charge a corkage fee at Boarding???? We are departing from Pt Canaveral. I know all lines will charge a corkage fee if you bring the bottle to dinning room but at boarding???  On the other lines we put a bottle in carry on and open in the cabin, never an issue.  Any thoughts???? Has anyone seen this happen????

• Like 1

It doesn't matter where you consume it, you will be charged the corkage fees if you don't have a drink package.  Full details are available in the NCL.com FAQ section.

• Like 1

You will get a $15 corkage fee even with a screw top bottle. They catch the bottle in the security machine and get you to sign a form then. The fee is added to your account.

Yes other cruise lines like Carnival dont charge as yet but soon. With Carnival you can bring wine or champagne on board at embarkation. In Europe you can bring any type of booze back from the ports and take it to your cabin also no fees but not in the Caribbean. In the Caribbean no fees but they keep it until the day you get back to the US port. But thats Carnival. I dont know about other cruise lines.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sailingships said:

You will get a $15 corkage fee even with a screw top bottle. They catch the bottle in the security machine and get you to sign a form then. The fee is added to your account.

Yes other cruise lines like Carnival dont charge as yet but soon. With Carnival you can bring wine or champagne on board at embarkation. In Europe you can bring any type of booze back from the ports and take it to your cabin also no fees but not in the Caribbean. In the Caribbean no fees but they keep it until the day you get back to the US port. But thats Carnival. I dont know about other cruise lines.

NCL is unique as they allow you to bring on as many bottles as you wish, if you take the $21 pp pd package you can bring on as many bottles as you wish for free.

2 hours ago, beauty1492 said:

Any thoughts???? Has anyone seen this happen????

Not that this will make you feel better, but this is a very longstanding policy on NCL. 

You've been given the official policy, however in practice, is it enforced?

I was on the Joy departing Southampton in February.  I'm also an avid scotch drinker and find that the UK is a good place to stock up on such things. 

After dropping my bags, checking in, grabbing my keycard, and while waiting for boarding to begin, I decided to walk to the local liquor store and pick up a few bottles. 

I picked up four 70cl bottles, and carried them in a liquor box provided by the store back to the ship.  There was no disguising what came in this box. 

They went through x-ray, and I carried them in the box on the ship, and no one said anything. 

I have had this experience in other ports, where liquor was ignored.  

So if you were to bring a case of wine onboard for your own enjoyment, there is a chance that no one will say anything. 

But officially, you need to pay corkage on every bottle.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jules181 said:

You've been given the official policy, however in practice, is it enforced?

I was on the Joy departing Southampton in February.  I'm also an avid scotch drinker and find that the UK is a good place to stock up on such things. 

After dropping my bags, checking in, grabbing my keycard, and while waiting for boarding to begin, I decided to walk to the local liquor store and pick up a few bottles. 

I picked up four 70cl bottles, and carried them in a liquor box provided by the store back to the ship.  There was no disguising what came in this box. 

They went through x-ray, and I carried them in the box on the ship, and no one said anything. 

I have had this experience in other ports, where liquor was ignored.  

So if you were to bring a case of wine onboard for your own enjoyment, there is a chance that no one will say anything. 

But officially, you need to pay corkage on every bottle.  

I’ve paid corkage on wine at the manhattan cruise terminal on every ncl I’ve been on.

I haven't carried any wine onboard for many years (since the beverage package started being included), but before that it was about 50:50 whether I would be charged.

Which is fairly standard for NCL's implementation on many things like this.