Cancellation fee?

I have cancelled cruises in the past, but not recently. My TA has just told me that if I cancel an upcoming cruise, I will be charged a fee of $500 per cabin? What??? I give up the non-refundable deposit, as i know. I have never before heard of a cancellation fee and certainly was not advised there was one when I booked. I know I can move the cruise with a $100 per person fee. But there is nothing to move it to, as we are booked up thru' May 2025, which is as far as Caribbean cruises are scheduled. Anyone have some insight on this?

Posted (edited)

What was you deposit? $500 sounds like $250 pp x 2, which would be a normal non-suite stateroom deposit and if NRD and you are cancelling that is what you would lose.

Or are you saying your TA is indicating an additional $500 cancelation fee on top of that?  That absolutely would not be coming from the cruise line and if it is the TA's fee for canceling a cruise that is unrealistic and would be the last time I would ever deal with them

Some TA's charge separate fees for changing or canceling a cruise booked through them in addition to the cruise line fees.  Most - and IMO the better ones - do not.  I would always avoid dealing with those that do.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2