Ocean Cay reopening?

21 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

I was on Meraviglia several times in 2021/2022 where we sailed through the channel to the island "nose first", then turned 180 degrees in the small turning basin just beyond the island and docked with the starboard side facing the island. You can see our approach in this video.  Ocean Cay Approach by Meraviglia 

This video doesn't show the ship rotating, just sailing through the channel towards the dock. Are you saying it rotates 180 degrees AFTER this video?

When I was on Divina (which is a smaller ship) they came in nose first and spun around 180 degrees to put the starboard side of the ship against the dock.   It may be that Seashore, being bigger, cannot rotate, and has to back in.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RichYak said:

This video doesn't show the ship rotating, just sailing through the channel towards the dock. Are you saying it rotates 180 degrees AFTER this video?

Correct. We turned 180 degrees in the basin just past the dock and docked with my forward-facing YC Deluxe Suite facing the lighthouse. 

2 hours ago, cue881 said:

When I was on Divina (which is a smaller ship) they came in nose first and spun around 180 degrees to put the starboard side of the ship against the dock.   It may be that Seashore, being bigger, cannot rotate, and has to back in.

This is the case. The Seaside is longer than the Meraviglia. Seaside is 1060' in length while Mera is 1037' in length. Seashore and Seascape are 1112' in length.

• Like 2

I am on the Meraviglia now!!  WE HAVE ARRIVED!  Weather is great!

Docked with the starboard side to the dock.

Still waiting for the announcement that we can get off.

Jim

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Notch8 said:

Hard to tell what’s different from up on the ship…

IMG_7854.jpeg

IMG_7853.jpeg

Looks like they still have some heavy construction equipment out by the crew and Yacht Club beaches.

• Like 3

I was just comparing some of the pictures posted today on this board with some I took in January of this year.   It looks like they might have planted more trees as it looks a little more filled in.

2 hours ago, GA Dave said:

Looks like they still have some heavy construction equipment out by the crew and Yacht Club beaches.

That equipment looks to be more like it’s by the children’s beach.   I know there was talk of them working on that area to reopen it again.  

Seascape captain announced that he intends to get us to the island earlier than planned and hopes to be docked by 4.45am to prevent currents/wind from affecting our arrival tomorrow. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, GA Dave said:

Thank you so much! Post a video if you can! I'm visiting for the first time in a few weeks on Seashore. 

4 hours ago, GA Dave said:

You are correct.  Lots of construction fences.  Looks like the living quarters for the staff is getting the bulk of the improvements.

Other than general maintenance and rearranging of bars/food trucks, it didn’t feel like there was any meaningful change.  Having said that, I am glad to say that they are maintaining the island to world-class standards, with the exception of the lunch buffet, which keeps its “worst-in-class” spot.  (Heaven help the passengers off World America during high season.  Two buffet lines isn’t enough for MSC Meraviglia, let alone another thousand passengers that World America will bring…)

2 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Seascape captain announced that he intends to get us to the island earlier than planned and hopes to be docked by 4.45am to prevent currents/wind from affecting our arrival tomorrow. 

@Beamafar : I am sure that you’ll have a different take on the island than I did.  I am eager to hear your observations!

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Notch8 said:

Anyone know if these shades are new or were they there before?

IMG_7859.jpeg

Yes there were there before,  I looked at pictures from 2021 and 2022

Edited by GPPhilly
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Notch8 said:

@Beamafar : I am sure that you’ll have a different take on the island than I did.  I am eager to hear your observations!

It’ll be our first time there.  We were on Meraviglia when she was the first scheduled ship to visit the ‘new’ island but it wasn’t ready til a couple of weeks later, so when I heard that works were to be completed only 2 days before this visit, I prepared myself for a call to Nassau (we haven’t been, so it wouldn’t have been too much of a hardship for us 😆)

Just now, Beamafar said:

It’ll be our first time there.  We were on Meraviglia when she was the first scheduled ship to visit the ‘new’ island but it wasn’t ready til a couple of weeks later, so when I heard that works were to be completed only 2 days before this visit, I prepared myself for a call to Nassau (we haven’t been, so it wouldn’t have been too much of a hardship for us 😆)

You’ll have a great time here.  Except for the buffet.  Unless you’re Yacht Club!  🙂

Jim

Just now, Notch8 said:

You’ll have a great time here.  Except for the buffet.  Unless you’re Yacht Club!  🙂

Jim

It's our first time and we have YC. Should we eat there for lunch? Do they serve breakfast or dinner too? I heard the YC beaches weren't great.