Ocean Cay reopening?

I’m surprised I haven’t seen a recent thread on the reopening. Can anyone on board in the next week or two confirm that Ocean Cay is actually open again?

also on an unrelated topic, does anyone know which side I have to be on to view the lighthouse from a balcony cabin on board?

Posted (edited)

Heard May 22 opening. Nine out of ten times, more often than not, as a rule, almost always, by and large, and most commonly the lighthouse can be viewed from ones balcony from the starboard side (even numbered cabins). But who knows now with the new dredging what surprises are in store for us.

P.S. We hope to be onboard 6/15 and will report the changes.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
P.S.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Heard May 22 opening. Nine out of ten times, more often than not, as a rule, almost always, by and large, and most commonly the lighthouse can be viewed from ones balcony from the starboard side (even numbered cabins). But who knows now with the new dredging what surprises are in store for us.

I know I don't have to ask....as I'm expecting a full report....but maybe you have advance info: will YC beach still be the worst beach on the island?

11 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

.but maybe you have advance info: will YC beach still be the worst beach on the island?

No advanced info. The last time there was renovation (addition at Ocean House of the kitchen) we were riding with the trolley driver asking him about the upcoming additions and he told us he was sworn to secrecy. That MSC wanted everything to be a surprise.

• Like 1

Although the ships have always been able to dock facing either direction, the vast majority of the time, starboard side faces the island.

16 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I know I don't have to ask....as I'm expecting a full report....but maybe you have advance info: will YC beach still be the worst beach on the island?

I know that it won't happen but it would be cool if the Yacht Club took over the peninsula where the (unused) wedding pavilion is. It's far but that can be a positive thing, too.

9 minutes ago, hunter68 said:

We are going next week and will be the first ship back. I will send out an update the night we are there

We’re counting on you chief!!! Don’t let us down. I am on the sailing after that one so people will be askin’

• Like 1

I will be on the Meraviglia next week and we are supposed to be the first ship to visit after the renovation.  I am planning to post periodically about the trip during the voyage and will do my best to give a quick summary of what appears to have changed.

Between @hunter68 and me, I’m sure we won’t disappoint.  (No guarantees that the weather might disappoint though, if it prevents us from docking.)

Jim

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

You can do a mock booking leaving may 18th right now on seascape and it shows Ocean Cay. Maybe it isn't the first ship back but i'd be mad as heck if i booked it today and OC wasn't ready.

Any time you have a cruise change to deal with and MSC.

Make

Sure

fingers are

Crossed

Edited by If_this_is_tuesday
spelling

4 minutes ago, If_this_is_tuesday said:

You can do a mock booking leaving may 18th right now on seascape and it shows Ocean Cay. Maybe it isn't the first ship back but i'd be mad as heck if i booked it today and OC wasn't ready.

Any time you have a cruise change to deal with and MSC.

Make

Sure

fingers

Crossed

Ports can and do change all the time on cruises..I never count on any particular port stop on a particular day on any cruise..usually they stay on schedule, but ship happens. 

• Like 2

I agree to disagree. If i book a cruise on may 15th  and they were supposed to have the upgrades on the island done on may 22 and they weren't done by may 24th on my visit i'd be mad because i feel they knew they weren't going to be ready in time and should have stopped advertising the port to new bookings. This isn't unexpected weather or world events and so on. 

TLDR Don't open OC to new bookings until it is 100% finished.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, If_this_is_tuesday said:

I agree to disagree. If i book a cruise on may 15th  and they were supposed to have the upgrades on the island done on may 22 and they weren't done by may 24th on my visit i'd be mad because i feel they knew they weren't going to be ready in time and should have stopped advertising the port to new bookings. This isn't unexpected weather or world events and so on. 

Me personally… I’m not going to lose sleep over possible cancellations or changes.  If we stop, I’ll let the group know what I learn (if ship Wi-Fi cooperates.). We’re supposed to be there on May 22.

Regardless, I’m going to enjoy my cruise.

Jim

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We cruise next in September. I was concerned that Ocean Cay would not be finished for our cruise even though it was scheduled to be finished in May. Italian time plus Island time? Not a guarantee, not even close. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 hours ago, Notch8 said:

I will be on the Meraviglia next week and we are supposed to be the first ship to visit after the renovation.  I am planning to post periodically about the trip during the voyage and will do my best to give a quick summary of what appears to have changed.

Between @hunter68 and me, I’m sure we won’t disappoint.  (No guarantees that the weather might disappoint though, if it prevents us from docking.)

Jim

See you there! Fingers crossed the island is open. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Best Cat Mom said:

"Italian time plus Island time? Not a guarantee, not even close. LOL"

That could result in a delay so long that Doc Brown will be the returning captain!

Doc-Brown-Azipods.gif.e832cef3f7819b0b7ba3629430d69057.gif

Edited by no1talks
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, no1talks said:

That could result in a delay so long that Doc Brown will be the returning captain!

Just like Moctezuma's thinking that Captain Cortez was the returning God Quetzalcoatl.

P.S. A real long time.

P.S.
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, If_this_is_tuesday said:

That's just a chance you take- just like booking a brand new ship or booking the week after a dry dock is scheduled to be done. There's ALWAYS a possibility of a delay, so always wait a few weeks after a repair or renovation is scheduled to be complete to book. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

That's just a chance you take- just like booking a brand new ship or booking the week after a dry dock is scheduled to be done. There's ALWAYS a possibility of a delay, so always wait a few weeks after a repair or renovation is scheduled to be complete to book. 

Yup.  Itineraries are set months in advance.  There is no way to "hold off" on booking it as a stop until it is 100% finished.

• Like 1

I will be on the YC Seashore June 2 sailing with my daughter.  We have an overnight in Ocean Cay.  Scheduled a lot of activities for us (hopefully none get canceled) such as wave runners, Shipwreck Snorkeling getaway, and Twilight Scenic Island cruise plus Light show.  I plan to share our experience as it will be a lot of 1sts for her (First class plane ticket, MSC, A Butler, swimming pigs 🐖😀).  I'll definitely take a lot of pictures of Ocean Cay.  I plan on (if I can) running around island in the morning of day 2.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I wonder what they will substitute if Ocean Cay isn't ready? I'm not cruising until August, so it'll probably be open by then, but I love hypotheticals.

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2024 at 6:01 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

Here the ship is docked with port side getting the island/lighthouse view. Compared with Starboardside photo

PORTLEFT.jpg

309148141_10221649620444914_7682807996937788300_n.jpg