Joy speedway

Can anyone who’s done it comment on how scary (or not) it is?  I’m a pretty big wimp when it comes to thrill rides and attractions and to me this looks like it might be scary with the hairpin turns. (I will be traveling alone so I will have to drive.)  I read that it’s very hard/impossible to pass people without crashing and I might go so slow I hold up the whole course and I don’t want to be that person. Is crashing common and how hard is the impact?  I’m just trying to assess if this is something I should try or leave it off my to do list.

not scary, but it does seem that some people, particularly kids, think these are bumper cars and the idea is to crash into every car they see!

most ships have an hour or two set aside for solo cars... where you go through the course on your own, with nobody else on the course. the idea there is that you do laps for timing and try to beat your own personal best time. but, obviously, a solo ride would allay most of your concerns. not sure if the joy has solo ride hours or not, but i assume they do.

43 minutes ago, UKstages said:

not scary, but it does seem that some people, particularly kids, think these are bumper cars and the idea is to crash into every car they see!

most ships have an hour or two set aside for solo cars... where you go through the course on your own, with nobody else on the course. the idea there is that you do laps for timing and try to beat your own personal best time. but, obviously, a solo ride would allay most of your concerns. not sure if the joy has solo ride hours or not, but i assume they do.

According to the dailies @BirdTravels is Live posting, the Joy has both beginner times and Solo times.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grouchomarx said:

Can anyone who’s done it comment on how scary (or not) it is?  I’m a pretty big wimp when it comes to thrill rides and attractions and to me this looks like it might be scary with the hairpin turns. (I will be traveling alone so I will have to drive.)  I read that it’s very hard/impossible to pass people without crashing and I might go so slow I hold up the whole course and I don’t want to be that person. Is crashing common and how hard is the impact?  I’m just trying to assess if this is something I should try or leave it off my to do list.

If you are wearing your Kevlar there is nothing to worry about.

Good luck!

Kids do not do “bumper cars”. If they are seen intentionally hitting anyone (I.e., damaging the cars) they are black flagged. 

When The Bird drives, the little kids that weigh 80 lbs soaking wet would lap us. The electric cars don’t have that much power. We grew up with gas powered go karts and you could easily spin out with those. 

Enjoy your go kart experience. 

Solo usually means “not double”. Not that you run by yourself. 

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Kids do not do “bumper cars”. If they are seen intentionally hitting anyone (I.e., damaging the cars) they are black flagged. 

can you accept that different people may have had different experiences onboard NCL ships?

3 hours ago, UKstages said:

it does seem that some people, particularly kids, think these are bumper cars and the idea is to crash into every car they see!

that has been my personal lived experience onboard NCL ships and i stand by my statement.

even assuming somebody gets "black flagged" on an NCL speedway. have you considered that until that happens, they can still hit other cars intentionally or otherwise?

• Like 1

I rode the carts on Bliss.  I think I came in last, or very close.  Just stay to the right, and the speedier ones will pass on the left.   I personally won't do it again.  Im not a speed racer on the freeways, so I didn't feel the need for speed on the track.  There is Booster button you can push if you want to speed up and pass.  I found it funny that the carts have racing engine sound effects. 

7 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I rode the carts on Bliss.  I think I came in last, or very close.  Just stay to the right, and the speedier ones will pass on the left.

I did them on the Bliss as well.  I got stuck behind someone that thought the entire width was theirs, and they were not going as fast as I wanted to.

11 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Solo usually means “not double”. Not that you run by yourself.

Agreed, I can't imagine the cost per ride if they let you run on the track by yourself!!

I did it on the Joy, and absolutely loved it. 

It was a lot more physical than I expected, we're all spoiled by power steering. 

There are places to pass on the course.  I had a couple of fast guys and my mom who brought up the rear. We all learned how to pass her.  

Just to note, maximum occupancy of the go karts is one.  If you want to do the course, you get to drive.  

1 hour ago, jules181 said:

maximum occupancy of the go karts is one.

Maximum occupancy of the SINGLE carts is one.  There are doubles for the doubles sessions so parents can bring a kid that isn't eligible to drive.

Posted (edited)

Done it on the Bliss.  Came in 1st on 2 "runs" (did it  3 times).  Great time.  Loved it.

Lanes are wide enough for passing. Didn't see any "bumper car" type of activity.  Slower cars tended to stay on the right.  Just remember to stay right.  But, that takes the fun out of it, in my estimation.  The goal is to get the best time around the track.  It's not just speed, it's going around the track a couple of times and finding the fastest "line" around the track.

You're wearing a tight fitting helmet and the cockpit is tight around you.  So, you're secure.

But, if they scare you, there is no getting out half way around the track and walking to safety.  If you believe it's scary, don't do it.

Same with the "drop zone".  I saw people turn around and leave while standing in line.  Again, if any of this scares you, don't do it.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

I have enjoyed watching my husband, and other people do the go carts on Prima and on Joy. Watching on Prima was more fun because you could shoot the light on the top of the carts to give people a speed boost. Not easy to do, but I think I helped out a couple of drivers. My bad back keeps me from doing them myself. I am afraid of getting hit by some one who is trying to get past me, so for me it is not worth it.

On 5/15/2024 at 9:33 PM, UKstages said:

can you accept that different people may have had different experiences onboard NCL ships?

Intentional bumping is strictly prohibited. 

Incidental/accidental bumping, especially when drivers are trying to pass can happen. But to alleviate the OPs concerns, this is not a full contact sport like being in a Royal Caribbean SeaPlex. 

We don’t all live in the world where the sky is always falling. And people cite obscure exceptions.