How much time? Boston pier to Boston airport

I’m sailing out of Quebec to Boston on sept 7th on the emerald princess and was wondering how much time I should give myself to get from the Boston cruise port to the Boston airport by taxi?  Anyone who has done this I would appreciate your info.  Thanks!

53 minutes ago, Freckles1983 said:

I’m sailing out of Quebec to Boston on sept 7th on the emerald princess and was wondering how much time I should give myself to get from the Boston cruise port to the Boston airport by taxi?  Anyone who has done this I would appreciate your info.  Thanks!

It really depends on what day of the week you are in Boston.  NCL has  weekend scheduled sailings from Boston plus other cruise lines may just be stopping for a day visit.  Thus traffic congestion at the cruise terminal is a factor to be considered.  Normally it would take 10-15 minutes.  But, on a busy day I would allow at least an hour if you plan to schedule an Uber or private transportation. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nanatravel said:

Thus traffic congestion at the cruise terminal is a factor to be considered.  Normally it would take 10-15 minutes.  But, on a busy day I would allow at least an hour if you plan to schedule an Uber or private transportation. 

It's never going to take an hour. Its 4 miles. Half an hour on a weekday with rush hour traffic maybe. But on a weekend its going to be very quick. Boston's cruise terminal is small and can only handle I think 2 (maybe 3) ships at a time. Congestion is not going to be a big consideration at the pier. 

Boston taxis are few and far between these days. I would plan on using Uber or Lyft and don't schedule ahead-- there are plenty of them in the city. Booking ahead will most likely cost more and create unnecessary confusion getting picked up. 

• Like 1

I've done that drive a few hundred times.  10 minutes would be a goal in the middle of the night.  45 minutes is what I'd allow if I was a normal person, but I'm not and I remember one day it took a bit over an hour to get thru the tunnel and to Central Parking, so I always allow 75 minutes, just in case that happens again

• Like 1

2 hours ago, prekteacher1 said:

We will be coming into port on Sunday. Would taking an 11:35 am flight be cutting it too close? We plan on carrying our luggage off the ship.

I agree with nitemare. I guess Princeton hasn’t been at the terminal when two or more ships are off/on loading. It isn’t the travel time that takes long, it’s finding & getting into a correct vehicle. I would say you would make it for 11:35 with carry own luggage. 

1 hour ago, Nanatravel said:

I guess Princeton hasn’t been at the terminal when two or more ships are off/on loading.

I have but that’s why I suggested not prearranging a car. When you prebook a car service or an Uber you’re waiting for one car that you have to find. When you just use the app when you’re curbside you get a car that’s already there or nearby. 

18 hours ago, prekteacher1 said:

We will be coming into port on Sunday. Would taking an 11:35 am flight be cutting it too close? We plan on carrying our luggage off the ship.

I had an 11am flight booked and they told me to rebook it for later.  Apparently international flights you need to book at least 6 hrs after 7am (back at pier time) and 5 hrs after 7am if it’s within the country .  I figured getting off the boat by 8am and getting to the airport would leave me enough time but according to the call centre If there’s any delays you could have an issue so they told me to rebook.  

1 hour ago, Freckles1983 said:

had an 11am flight booked and they told me to rebook it for later.  Apparently international flights you need to book at least 6 hrs after 7am (back at pier time) and 5 hrs after 7am if it’s within the country .  I figured getting off the boat by 8am and getting to the airport would leave me enough time but according to the call centre If there’s any delays you could have an issue so they told me to rebook.  

They’re giving you very general advice that I would guess is not specific to Boston. Or it relates only to the cruise line run transfers which are totally unnecessary in Boston.

An 11am domestic flight would be quite easy to make at Boston Logan on your own. 

10 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

They’re giving you very general advice that I would guess is not specific to Boston. Or it relates only to the cruise line run transfers which are totally unnecessary in Boston.

An 11am domestic flight would be quite easy to make at Boston Logan on your own. 

That’s what I thought too but they insisted that it would be a bad idea for me to keep with that flight time 🤷🏻‍♀️. Either way it’s what you’re comfortable with.  Personally I can’t risk missing my flight so I opted to reschedule 

There are some scheduled tunnel closures coming up the next few months.  On dates a tunnel is closed traffic gets much worse.  You can look up Callahan, Sumner and Ted Williams tunnel closings on Google to see the schedules

I would give yourself an hour or so. That includes getting off the ship, getting your luggage, and finding your Uber/Taxi. 

However, with the tunnel closures, I'm not sure how bad it will be. I was flying back to Logan the very first tunnel closure a couple of years ago. It took me over an hour to get from Central Parking to the Williams tunnel (I was heading west on the Pike). Shouldn't have taken more than 10 minutes.