Must See in Each Port

I will be doing a Baltic Sea cruise and as I look at many of the ports, it seems there's so much to do in each, I don't know how to decide. What would you say is the Must See/Do in each of the following:

• Oslo, Norway
  • Warnemunde (Berlin), Germany - is it worth the time to go to Berlin - I was there in 1990 or 1991 (just after the wall came down) or is there something closer to the port worth visiting/doing?
  • Tallinn, Estonia
  • Helsinki, Finland
  • Stockholm, Sweden
  • Kiel (Hamburg), Germany

In Oslo, I would say the sculpture garden and the Munch Museum.

In Stockholm.  I remember there was a lot more to see than we ever had time for. I would heartily recommend the Vasa Museum.

In Tallinn, we walked through the old town using a Rick Steves guide from one of his books.

We have not been to Germany.

You must see what interests you.

If you, and your traveling companions have seen Berlin, I am not sure I would go again, given the effort required to get there.

If you look around this board, every one of those ports is discussed in great detail. A lot of good info that will help you make decisions.

Germany: a long time on the bus to get to Berlin. We stayed visited Rostock (interesting city!) and in the afternoon enjoyed the beach town experience of Warnemunde.

Helsinki: the  Temppeliaukion Church, Ateneum (if you enjoy art museums), Market Square, Suomenlinna and Esplanadi.

Oslo.  We took the metro to the Holmenkollen ski slope and museum high on the edge of the city, great views.

Warnemunde.  A morning on the beachfront, afternoon a trip on the Molli train and coach tour along the coast.  Very interesting history as it was all once East Germany.

Tallinn, wander around the old town, climb one of the church towers for views across the city.

Stockholm.  Vasa Museum.  Get there early.  Afternoon wander around the city.

Posted (edited)

In Germany, you might want to consider the Schwerin castle if you are there on a. day other than Monday (we were there on a Monday so I can't personally recommend the Schwerin castle but you can look into it).  Warnemunde is a lovely town to walk around.   We had a 3 year old so didn't even consider making it to Berlin.

Talinn.  If you have mobility issues or kids, take a cab to the top of Tompea hill and wander around.  Otherwise you can walk to the top of Tomepea hill and then wander around the beautiful historic town.  Really an unexpected highlight for me.

Stockholm.  Get to the Vasa asap.  If you dock in the city, the HOHO boats might take you directly there prior to 10 am  (you'd need to check their schedule).  After the Vasa, there are a lot of lovely museums and interesting sites  in Stockholm.  You'll need to research what you are most interested in and make a plan to see that.   

Helsinki there's a public tram (used to be 2/3) that can take you to the rock church (Temppeliaukion ) and is a lovely ride around the historic parts of Helsinki.   You can pick it up near Market Square.  In Market Square, you should visit the stalls selling food and souvenirs and can take a ferry to Suomenlinna.  Nice ferry ride, nice fort/park to wander around.  I think there might be a feed reindeer experience near Helsinki but it might not have been around when I visited 10 years ago or I just missed it.  

Edited by kitkat343

There is no single must-see in Oslo, and it very much depends on your tastes.

Vigelands sculpture park often makes it onto people’s top suggestions. It is an astonishing collection of sculptures celebrating the human form through all walks of life. If it’s a concern, be aware that they are all nude (to preserve their timelessness and to focus on the human form itself).

• The Norwegian Folk Museum is an open-air park with historic buildings relocated from all over Norway. If you are only visiting Oslo, this is a chance to see more of the architecture from around the country, including an iconic wooden stave church. There are also re-enactors demonstrating traditional activities and displays about the country’s cultural history.

• The Fram Museum is often a surprise favorite of visitors. It’s not as famous as many others, but it is an interesting museum about Norwegian polar exploration and houses Fran, the ship Amundsen used on his expedition to first reach the South Pole. The ship is open for visitors to explore inside.

• If you prefer a scenic view, take the T-bane (subway) up to Holmenkollen, where you can visit the Holmenkollen ski jump (and its small ski museum) and admire the view from the top of the jump tower. If you’re looking for adrenaline, book a ride on the zip line down the ski jump.

• For modern architecture, or just to experience a unique public space, take a stroll up the roof of the Opera House. The building is constructed with a gentle slope that lets visitors walk right up to the roof for a view over the Oslofjord and a dose of Vitamin D on sunny days. If you’re especially keen on modern architecture, also stop in to the Deichmanske central library across the street. It’s an interesting place to explore with a large waterfront view seating area and the Library of the Future project.

• The Viking ship museum is unfortunately still closed for renovations and restoration. It is the home of the iconic Viking burial ships.

• If you want to see Munch’s famous painting The Scream, I generally recommend the National Museum over the Much Museum. There are multiple versions of the work, and each has one of the three painted varieties (the third is owned privately). At the Munch Museum, they exhibit the painting, a drawing, and a lithograph in a rotating display that automatically exposes them one at a time throughout the day. If you really want to see one of the paintings, the one at the National Museum is always on display, along with a small collection of Munch’s other works and several pieces by other Norwegian artists.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Jamietravelstheworld said:

Warnemunde (Berlin), Germany - is it worth the time to go to Berlin - I was there in 1990 or 1991 (just after the wall came down) or is there something closer to the port worth visiting/doing?

You will dock next to the small train station in Warnemunde.  Walk through it, cross the little bridge and you will be in town, but many cruise pax choose to spend the morning in Rostock and the afternoon in pretty little Warnemunbde which is a beach resort and a suburb of Rostock. Train to Rostock is I think, a little under 30 minutes, then go down to street level and take a tram along to the mostly pedestrianised historic area.  buyying a day ticket in the train station would be easieer than paying separately for two trains and two trams.

The other popular options has already been mentioned.  Schwerin castle and the Molli train.

You should look at past threads for all of your ports as they are full of info and ideas. Use the quick and easy SEARCH tool to find them.

Warnemunde.  Choose from these

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=warnemunde&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=116

And remember that there are no "must sees" in any port, only sights and activities which appeal to your own personal interests.😀

Edited by edinburgher

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Jamietravelstheworld said:

I don't know how to decide. What would you say is the Must See/Do in each of the following:

• Oslo, Norway
  • Warnemunde (Berlin), Germany - is it worth the time to go to Berlin - I was there in 1990 or 1991 (just after the wall came down) or is there something closer to the port worth visiting/doing?

As per post #3, remember that there is no "must see" anywhere, only sights and activities which appeal only to your own interests.😀

Many cruise pax have enjoyed their day between Rostock in the morning and Warnemunde in the afternoon.  You will dock next to the small train station. Walk through it, cross the little bridge and you will be in Warnemunde, a pleasant beach/holiday resort and actually a suburb of Rostock.  Other options already mentioned would be the Molli train and Schwerin Castle.

Rostock is maximum 30 minutes on the train from Warnemunde.  Once there go down to street level and take a tram along to the historic centre.  A day ticket is easier then faffing around with individual tickets for two trains and two trams.

And do read past threads for all of your ports as they are full of info and ideas.  Use the quick and easy SEARCH tool to find them.  To get you started,

Warnemunde

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=warnemunde&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=116

And also check the official Tourist Information websites for each, Tripadvisor, YouTube, frommer's, Fodors, Rick Steves and anything else which appears when you internet search "(name of town) tourist information"

Edited by edinburgher

We did a Baltic cruise 2 years ago and visited some of the same ports. 

Tallin

Just go and wander. No big museums as such but very pretty architecture. We paid to go up on the city walls. It was a minimal fee and gave a nice overview of the rooftops. 

Stockholm

We had an overnight here. First day we did a free walking tour then went to Gamla Stan followed by a tour inside the City Hall ( where the Nobel Prize Ceremony is held). I loved this. At night, me and my eldest daughter went to Fotografiska as it was very near to where we docked. While it was a nice way to spend the evening, unless you are really into photography, it’s not a must do. Next day we were at the Vasa Museum for opening. Amazing place but it does get busy. Then we just walked around the harbour area and soaked in the atmosphere. 

Helsinki

We walked to the harbour front from the ship - a really nice walk but factor in about 45 mins- then caught the ferry to Suomenlinna and spent the morning there. In the afternoon we visited the cathedrals and did a DIY walking tour. Our daughters loved the Chapel of Silence. A bit offbeat but the ground floor food hall in Stockmanns Department store has to be seen to be believed. You can stock up on some local foodie gifts there too. I’m not sure there is a must do in Helsinki but it has a real Scandi-cool atmosphere.

Warnemunde

My advice: you can never beat being in Berlin in the period just after the wall came down and in my opinion the journey is too long for a day trip. Stay local instead. I lived in Rostock 30 years ago and my daughter is currently studying there so we know the area well. I totally agree with Edinburgher. Spend the morning in Rostock.  Get tram 5 or 6 from the station and get off at Steintor or Neuer Markt to see the town hall and buildings in the square. From there the Kroepelinertor, 3 churches, main university building and old town are all very central. The buildings have been well restored - I remember what state they were in in the early 90s. My favourite one is the town library. 

Then head back to Warnemuende and have a stroll. Definitely get some herring rolls or prawns from the fishing boats which line the Alter Strom.

If you like castles then by all means go to Schwerin ( it’s an hour from Rostock by train)  but really there’s enough to keep you occupied between Warnemuende and Rostock. 

• Thanks 1