Princess boarding time

I know this question is going to be a bit like "how long is a piece of string" but thought I'd ask anyway. @arxcardsĀ and @gbenjo, you both give excellent advice on procedures, so you may have some general, albeit Antipodean, knowledge that could be helpful.

Ā 

My query stems from a cruise Honolulu to NZ, originating in Canada, so Honolulu is both a port stop for those already on board and an embarkation day for those joining. Departure is 11pm. I intend to board in time for lunch, however my query is on behalf of another group.Ā 

Ā 

They have a private day trip organised for embarkation day, they can't take their luggage on the day trip so will be dropped back to their hotel around 6 or 6.30pm and taxi to the port, so won't get there until, say, 6.30 or 7pm.

Ā 

What's the procedure with check-in staff, do they stay on duty until the last embarking passengers arrive for boarding, ie check-in, medallion issue etc? That's my query.Ā Ā If you have any general insight on embarkation day procedure, in particular if there is usually a cut-off time to fit with employee shifts or the like, that would be helpful.

Ā 

Many thanksĀ  šŸ˜Š

Ā 

As an aside, the passengers phoned Princess with this query and were told emphatically, even on double-checking, that boarding will be from 10.30pmĀ (I'll pause a moment for general laughter), for an 11pm departure!Ā  On that info, it looks like I'll be in for a veryĀ  l o n gĀ  and hungry wait!

Ā 

• Haha 3

Have a great trip, Jean.Ā 
And maybe pack some sandwiches and a thermos for while youā€™re waiting for your 10:30pm boarding time. šŸ¤£

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

Have a great trip, Jean.Ā 
And maybe pack some sandwiches and a thermos for while youā€™re waiting for your 10:30pm boarding time. šŸ¤£

... and take my PJs in my carry-on bag šŸ˜“Ā 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Jean C said:

... and take my PJs in my carry-on bag šŸ˜“Ā 

Aw, come on. 11pm is early for party animals like you and me! šŸ¤£

Ā 

Iā€™m sure Iā€™d be snoring before sail away. šŸ„±šŸ›ŒšŸ˜“šŸ’¤

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jean C said:

I know this question is going to be a bit like "how long is a piece of string" but thought I'd ask anyway. @arxcardsĀ and @gbenjo, you both give excellent advice on procedures, so you may have some general, albeit Antipodean, knowledge that could be helpful.

Ā 

My query stems from a cruise Honolulu to NZ, originating in Canada, so Honolulu is both a port stop for those already on board and an embarkation day for those joining. Departure is 11pm. I intend to board in time for lunch, however my query is on behalf of another group.Ā 

Ā 

They have a private day trip organised for embarkation day, they can't take their luggage on the day trip so will be dropped back to their hotel around 6 or 6.30pm and taxi to the port, so won't get there until, say, 6.30 or 7pm.

Ā 

What's the procedure with check-in staff, do they stay on duty until the last embarking passengers arrive for boarding, ie check-in, medallion issue etc? That's my query.Ā Ā If you have any general insight on embarkation day procedure, in particular if there is usually a cut-off time to fit with employee shifts or the like, that would be helpful.

Ā 

Many thanksĀ  šŸ˜Š

Ā 

As an aside, the passengers phoned Princess with this query and were told emphatically, even on double-checking, that boarding will be from 10.30pmĀ (I'll pause a moment for general laughter), for an 11pm departure!Ā  On that info, it looks like I'll be in for a veryĀ  l o n gĀ  and hungry wait!

Ā 

Maybe the person who said boarding would be from 10.30pm didn't know the difference between morning and afternoon. I would be confident that boarding would be from 10.30am, but I am concerned that the cut-off time could be earlier than 6.30pm or 7pm. That needs checking.

• Like 3

Can your friends take their luggage to the port and drop it off there and then perhaps be picked up for their day trip from the port? Usually you can drop luggage off quite early and then go on to do other things until boarding.

• Like 3

We boarded the Royal Princess In Honolulu last year in October, besides from check-in staff there were also customs officers there to check and scan our passports in the first room we entered.

Your friends would have to find out what between what time the customs officers were there as well.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

I wonder if itā€™s treated as a cruise with an extra embarkation port or two cruises B2B. šŸ¤”

I believe that cruises departing Vancouver are handled as two separate B2B cruises. Those doing the full trip can essentially treat Honolulu as a day in port, but are doing it as "transit" passengers. Princess sell it both as two separate cruises and as a full crossing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jean C said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Many thanksĀ  šŸ˜Š

Ā 

Ā 

I can't offer much detail. Our Honolulu departures have been late night, and midnight departures are common. Yes, general information for the day in port is 7am till 11pm, so 10:30pm would be the all aboard time. We board much earlier, so I can't be certain of how long the terminal is staffed. Normally there will be some staff to handle the later arrivals, but I can be nowhere near sure about that.

Ā 

I would agree with the earlier comment, and wonder if it is possible to drop luggage early and pick-up their tour from the wharf instead of the hotel. I guess that would mean they would be carting their carry-on around on their tour. Alternatively, they could use @Jean CĀ as their luggage mule and have a carefree day.Ā šŸ˜

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, arxcards said:

IĀ would agree with the earlier comment, and wonder if it is possible to drop luggage early and pick-up their tour from the wharf instead of the hotel. I guess that would mean they would be carting their carry-on around on their tour. Alternatively, they could use @Jean CĀ as their luggage mule and have a carefree day.Ā 

Thank you all, I'll pass on the helpful suggestions. I don't know the people as such, I just saw from our roll call that they are on the same flight as us and they instigated a brief communication about possibly sharing a maxi taxi from the airport. We're staying at different hotels, so schlepping their luggage isn't an option šŸ¤” I haven't seen any posts from Mr Benjo for a while, hopefully he can add an insight into how Aus operates, as a bit of a clue.

Edited by Jean C
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Just remember that the cruise lines do not usually handle the check-ins themselves. That side of things is contracted to third party companies -Ā  at least that's how it works here and I'm guessing it's the same in the US.Ā  The times the check-in staff and the customs officers operate may not be for the full time the ship is in port. It may be better to ask this question in the main Princess forum or even in the appropriate Ports of Call forum.Ā 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Just remember that the cruise lines do not usually handle the check-ins themselves. That side of things is contracted to third party companies -Ā  at least that's how it works here and I'm guessing it's the same in the US.Ā  The times the check-in staff and the customs officers operate may not be for the full time the ship is in port. It may be better to ask this question in the main Princess forum or even in the appropriate Ports of Call forum.Ā 

It is largely the same the world over. Different lines share the terminals, which are staffed via the shipping agent by sub-contractors. When the cruise line advises check-in times, the terminal is appropriately staffed for those hours, including luggage drop, check-in staff & customs.

Ā 

I agree 100%, someone who cruises out of Honolulu regularly will be best able to advise on how the terminal operates. Late departures are common in Honolulu.

• Like 1

Agree about the all aboard time being 10.30pm for a 11pm departure.

I would think that checking in would be normal operating hours, I.e 11pm to 5pm. Maybe check with the Hawaii port of call boards

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Agree about the all aboard time being 10.30pm for a 11pm departure.

I would think that checking in would be normal operating hours, I.e 11pm to 5pm. Maybe check with the Hawaii port of call boards

Do you mean 11 am?Ā šŸ™„