NCL won't sell Essentials Travel Protection to Canadians

I talked to a NCL representative after failing to pay insurance from my shopping cart and was told I needed to find a 3rd party insurer because I am from Canada.  I am OK with this but when I started looking (in Canada) many have an upper age restriction.  Only found one that would do 65+.  With no pre-existing conditions, it was expensive.($33+ per day).  I know packages and ailments can vary but has any Canadian senior found a reasonable policy? 

You might want to go to the Insurance board here on CruiseCritic.

I'll also put out a call to @CDNPolar who may be of some help.

One of the problems that you "may" be running into is that cruise line policies include CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason) coverage. I know at one time, there was a certain Province in Canada (and a couple of States in the US) that did not allow policies with CFAR to be included because they didn't feel that CFAR coverage fit their definition of insurance.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Joyriderbc said:

I talked to a NCL representative after failing to pay insurance from my shopping cart and was told I needed to find a 3rd party insurer because I am from Canada.  I am OK with this but when I started looking (in Canada) many have an upper age restriction.  Only found one that would do 65+.  With no pre-existing conditions, it was expensive.($33+ per day).  I know packages and ailments can vary but has any Canadian senior found a reasonable policy? 

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

First, many cruise companies that offer insurance do NOT cover Canadians. Insurance sold in the USA and other countries does not necessarily cross over to Canada.  Different regulations and requirements.

We have to buy insurance independently of our cruise line and we cruise 2-3 times per year.

I am a Canadian that is over 60 and also has what I call "wandering pre-existing conditions" meaning that they are not in my eyes "unstable" but because of a medication change they become unstable in the insurance companies eyes.  I have no problem finding insurance.

There are many options for Canadians over 60 and over 65.  

The situation is however that you likely will NOT get approved online without doing a medical questionnaire. Some even require you to do a paper based questionnaire and mail it in. (Medipac for one)

I personally am not aware of any company that will turn you down because you are 65+.  There is a travel insurance product out there for everyone, but you may pay more for it as you age.

Questions:

1) Do you want medical coverage?

2) Do you want cancellation/interruption insurance?

3) Do you have any pre-existing conditions which can be anything that you are taking medication for?  Are these stable or unstable by the insurance company definition? (This definition changes with each company)

We currently have an annual policy with Blue Cross that has 5MM for medical and up to 5K per person for cancellation and/or interruption.

You can go to:

Manulife

TD

TuGo

All will require a medical questionnaire if you are 60 or over.  Some of these have options for pre-existing conditions with a stable period of only 7 days prior to departure.  My Blue Cross annual plan is stability of 180 days for medical prior to each departure and 90 days stability before each departure for cancellation or interruption.

$33 per day?  Is that all?  That is a good rate.

For me, for a single trip coverage of say $8K, I would expect to pay $600-$800 bucks.

Edited by CDNPolar
  • Like 2

Just to reiterate, many cruise lines do NOT sell insurance to Canadians.

Look into what I have provided in information and if you are still looking for answers go to one or both of the following forums:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2510-canadian-cruisers/

Best place is the travel insurance forum, but sometimes with specific questions about Canadian travel insurance you can get great answers from the Canadian Cruisers forum.

• Like 2