Ship differences in a cold climate cruise?

We've always taken tropical based cruises. Lots to do on deck, swim, etc.

For the first time we're taking a Norway to Iceland cruise in a few days.

What can we expect in regard to not being able to do the things you'd do on a tropical cruise?

I assume the outside bars, pools, etc. are shut down so does the cruise line provide more indoor activities or something of that nature?

Or, is nothing really done differently?

Many years ago our Alaska cruise was cold and damp so we spent all of our time inside, bingo, trivia, games, reading and napping!

Plus the scenery was breath taking! So we hung out in the Observation Lounge at the front of the ship

During breaks of rain we did walk outside and some people where in the hot tubs!

But because we were in Alaska they had onboard experts on Alaska giving talks and presentations which was very informative and enjoyable.

The ship tours, thou not cheap are very interesting!

It depends on a # of variables, aside from looking at the maritime and weather forecast for the ports; and, which NCL ship you are sailing on.  Pool(s) might be closed while hot tubs might stay open, partially as long as sea state aren't rough.  

Outdoor dining options might be zero and not just partially limited, that hit our Prima TA crossing last month with respect to several specialty restaurants where NCL replied on 20% of the given seating to be outside in the evenings, NOT.   It extended to the ultra small Surfside Cafe a/k/a buffet, at a fraction (25%) of the mid-ship Dawn/Jewel/Gem class ships despite using Food Republic across the hallway.  

Indoor seating were harder to find or come by, the pool hogs moved inside to stalk prime space in the Observation Lounge, and the ship's inherent design to sail in warmer climate amplified & worsen the availability of some of the shared, public space while other prime retail shops took up, IMHO, valuable real estate that could've been multi-purposes.  And, with the latest "changes" (to not call it "reductions" and cutbacks for the cheerleading folks here) to onboard live entertainment and the absence of a library, just not the near ideal, full sea day experience on the ship.  

However, since you are sailing Norway & Iceland, ports should be your prime focus in terms of sights, sounds and things to do ... not necessary as important as using the ship as the destination.  

Enjoy your cruise. 

2 hours ago, marklyn said:

We've always taken tropical based cruises ... For the first time we're taking a Norway to Iceland cruise in a few days.  What can we expect so does the cruise line provide more indoor activities or something of that nature? 

• Like 2

I love doing cold weather cruising.

The pools are only shut if the weather is dangerous. I was only one of a few people using the NCL Sun's pool in late September, when the temperature on the deck was 30 degrees. I had a ball and there were no lounge chair hogs. NCL had thick blankets I could wrap in, after I swam or used the hot tub. 

It can get very blustery out on deck, but can be enjoyable if you dress for it.

On the Escape cruise, I had the non-smoking side of Spice H2O to myself, as well as the Grotto (which has cold waterfalls, but the water around my feet was warm.) There were one or two other people with me at times in that hot tub, except when it was pouring rain. Then I was alone. The temperature on deck was in the low 50s, so wasn't bad.

If you love or at least don't mind cold and rain, you'll have many outdoor places to yourself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ellis1138 said:

I love doing cold weather cruising.

The pools are only shut if the weather is dangerous. I was only one of a few people using the NCL Sun's pool in late September, when the temperature on the deck was 30 degrees. I had a ball and there were no lounge chair hogs. NCL had thick blankets I could wrap in, after I swam or used the hot tub. 

It can get very blustery out on deck, but can be enjoyable if you dress for it.

On the Escape cruise, I had the non-smoking side of Spice H2O to myself, as well as the Grotto (which has cold waterfalls, but the water around my feet was warm.) There were one or two other people with me at times in that hot tub, except when it was pouring rain. Then I was alone. The temperature on deck was in the low 50s, so wasn't bad.

If you love or at least don't mind cold and rain, you'll have many outdoor places to yourself.

The swimming part sounds like my DW. We once had a cruise impacted by a hurricane not allowing us back to Fort Lauderdale for 2 extra days. The captain brought us closer so passengers would have cell reception to call family, airlines, TAs, etc, DW swam in the morning despite great waves in the pool. She of course had it to herself. They drained it by the afternoon.

On our cruise to Iceland this past summer on the Prima at one point when the main pool was closed she managed to get into one of the small infinity pools.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PhillyTravelBug said:

We did this sailing last August and the outdoors were closed on most of the sea day from Iceland to Norway. 

We sailed the Star from Reykjavik to Tromsø from July 23 to August 4 last year, and the outside decks were open every day. Around Iceland and up to Spitsbergen, it was cold but very smooth. The sail away from Longyearbyen and down to northern Norway was still cool but warming up. Northern Norway was over 20°C.

22 hours ago, marklyn said:

We've always taken tropical based cruises. Lots to do on deck, swim, etc.

For the first time we're taking a Norway to Iceland cruise in a few days.

What can we expect in regard to not being able to do the things you'd do on a tropical cruise?

I assume the outside bars, pools, etc. are shut down so does the cruise line provide more indoor activities or something of that nature?

Or, is nothing really done differently?

You never know what the weather will be, but I'm sure it will be cold. It was around 40-50°F when we were cruising around Iceland, and everything was open on the pool deck. We dressed warmly and sat by the pool bar, while others sat by the pool covered with towels. Mostly, the hot tubs were used, but some did go in the pool. I am sure the pool was heated, but I did not really pay that much attention. We also enjoyed Spice H2O in the back. It was a little breezy, but the two hot tubs were always in use. I hate to be cold and generally wore jeans, a t-shirt, wool socks, a beanie, and a bubble jacket.

• Like 1