Horseshoe bay beach alone

grouchomarx

Taking a solo cruise next month with an excursion to this beach booked. I am unsure about safety.  I will leave my phone in the safe but I need to have a few things with me such as sunglasses, reading glasses, a paperback book, some water.  Cash and credit card will be in a waterproof pouch that I will take with me for swimming or walking.  Is it generally safe to leave my beach bag unattended just while I swim?  Like I said, nothing of value to anyone else will be inside but I’m concerned about the whole bag being swiped. I cannot afford to lose my glasses, they are essential and were very expensive.  I generally don’t go anywhere without them, I really need them. Any advice about somehow securing the bag to the chair and then locking it shut?    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grouchomarx said:

Taking a solo cruise next month with an excursion to this beach booked. I am unsure about safety.  I will leave my phone in the safe but I need to have a few things with me such as sunglasses, reading glasses, a paperback book, some water.  Cash and credit card will be in a waterproof pouch that I will take with me for swimming or walking.  Is it generally safe to leave my beach bag unattended just while I swim?  Like I said, nothing of value to anyone else will be inside but I’m concerned about the whole bag being swiped. I cannot afford to lose my glasses, they are essential and were very expensive.  I generally don’t go anywhere without them, I really need them. Any advice about somehow securing the bag to the chair and then locking it shut?    

No one is going to take the stuff you mention. If they are prescription glasses what value would they be to someone other than you? It is generally safe to leave your bag. I take a waterproof pouch like you are planning to take for my ID, a credit card and some cash. 

I wear glasses and never take my expensive glasses to the beach. Since glasses are essential to me I travel with backup glasses because glasses can break anywear and wear those to the beach. Backup sun glasses too. I get inexpensive glasses at Costco for backups. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

No one is going to take the stuff you mention. If they are prescription glasses what value would they be to someone other than you? It is generally safe to leave your bag. I take a waterproof pouch like you are planning to take for my ID, a credit card and some cash. 

I wear glasses and never take my expensive glasses to the beach. Since glasses are essential to me I travel with backup glasses because glasses can break anywear and wear those to the beach. Backup sun glasses too. I get inexpensive glasses at Costco for backups. 

I know nobody wants those things, I already said that. My worry is someone sees an unattended bag and assumes there is good stuff in there and just takes the whole bag rather than standing there rifling through it in plain view of everyone.  A quick grab and walk off would be much less likely to draw attention.  I don’t want to budget for extra glasses right now.  I wear progressives and they cost over $1300 a pair.  I don’t wear them enough to warrant two pair as most of my time is spent in contact lenses outside of the home but in water situations like beach and pool I must have the glasses with me otherwise risk going blind from an eye infection.

In your favorite browser, do a search for "anti theft beach bag".  The "LocTote" looks pretty impressive!  (Not affiliated with any of the products).

We will be visiting Horseshoe Bay beach in June.  Have a great trip.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, grouchomarx said:

I know nobody wants those things, I already said that. My worry is someone sees an unattended bag and assumes there is good stuff in there and just takes the whole bag rather than standing there rifling through it in plain view of everyone.  A quick grab and walk off would be much less likely to draw attention.  I don’t want to budget for extra glasses right now.  I wear progressives and they cost over $1300 a pair.  I don’t wear them enough to warrant two pair as most of my time is spent in contact lenses outside of the home but in water situations like beach and pool I must have the glasses with me otherwise risk going blind from an eye infection.

I can’t promise you that it could not happen but I have been to Horseshoe Bay beach about 25 times and no one bothered my stuff on the beach and I never felt like they would. I have been there solo but even not solo we all went into the water together. No one was left to guard the bags. I have left my e-reader and phone in my beach bag. Probably not the smartest thing to do but the vibe is pretty safe. Also there are no venders walking around trying to sell stuff. There are also lifeguards patrolling the beach. Bermuda is not in the Caribbean and is a lot safer but there has been an increase in petty crime in Bermuda the last few years so minor precautions are prudent. 

You mention an excursion. I go there on my own. There are $7 a ride shuttles that run back and forth all day and you can go and leave whenever you feel like it. 

Edited by Charles4515

7 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I can’t promise you that it could not happen but I have been to Horseshoe Bay beach about 25 times and no one bothered my stuff on the beach and I never felt like they would. I have been there solo but even not solo we all went into the water together. No one was left to guard the bags. I have left my e-reader and phone in my beach bag. Probably not the smartest thing to do but the vibe is pretty safe. Also there are no venders walking around trying to sell stuff. There are also lifeguards patrolling the beach. Bermuda is not in the Caribbean and is a lot safer but there has been an increase in petty crime in Bermuda the last few years so minor precautions are prudent. 

You mention an excursion. I go there on my own. There are $7 a ride shuttles that run back and forth all day and you can go and leave whenever you feel like it. 

Thank you so much, this exactly what I wanted to hear.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Thanks this is useful info.  I had an excursion credit so i think it only cost me like $9 to get there via NCL.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, grouchomarx said:

Thanks this is useful info.  I had an excursion credit so i think it only cost me like $9 to get there via NCL.

The $7 fare @Charles4515 quoted is one way, so $14 roundtrip. I have used NCL's excursion because with the shore excursion credit I didn't have to pay a dime. Last time i used it the excursion was $49 so it was fully paid by the $50 shore excursion credit. It's quite possible the price has increased since I last used their shore excursion.

10 hours ago, njhorseman said:

The $7 fare @Charles4515 quoted is one way, so $14 roundtrip. I have used NCL's excursion because with the shore excursion credit I didn't have to pay a dime. Last time i used it the excursion was $49 so it was fully paid by the $50 shore excursion credit. It's quite possible the price has increased since I last used their shore excursion.

Norwegian charges $59 now

If NCL charges $59 now, even with the NCL credit, I think it is worth the extra $5 for the mini bus transportation.   This allows you to leave the pier when you want and come back when you want.     

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, vacation44 said:

If NCL charges $59 now, even with the NCL credit, I think it is worth the extra $5 for the mini bus transportation.   This allows you to leave the pier when you want and come back when you want.     

Or they can take the excursion and if they feel like staying longer they can skip the excursion return time and take a $7 minibus back. 

Edited by Charles4515

5 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Or they can take the excursion and if they feel like staying longer they can skip the excursion return time and take a $7 minibus back. 

Yes, another great suggestion.

We personally prefer the taxis as we like to go and leave on our own timeline.      

4 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

Yes, another great suggestion.

We personally prefer the taxis as we like to go and leave on our own timeline.      

I prefer the taxis too but sometimes I end up at the beach myself because my travel companions are sun sensitive red heads who leave early the beach early or decide to skip the beach. When I end up solo I take the minibus. 

On 5/26/2024 at 3:23 PM, grouchomarx said:

You will fine, if you are really concerned do what I do. Bring a zip lock bag, put your valuables in the bag and bury them in the sand under your chair, leave the book on your chair

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that it is safe on Horseshoe Bay.  But if you want something to put your money, credit cards, phone, etc. in when you go to the beach, I recommend the Vaultz Money Bag with Lock (about $16 through Amazon).  We use it when we take our grandkids to waterparks and beaches, and it works really well.