NCL Prima from Southampton UK Q

Departure time is 5pm. What is the earliest they will start boarding passengers? We are Haven so we’ll be in the first group and we like to be there waiting for the earliest possible boarding call. (Very exciting for us)

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Ellis1138 said:

On my check in (non-Haven), they had 9:30 am as the earliest time for a Southampton to Reykjavik itinerary.

That seems really early. What time did they start actual boarding? 11-ish? 

Tips for this cruise? Did you love it? I am a little worried about rough seas. 

Edited by conandrob240

I don't sail for 2 weeks, but based on my previous NCL cruises, I'm betting that it will start around 10 am. I usually go for the 3rd or 4th slot, since by that time, things are moving.

On 6/6/2024 at 9:26 PM, Ellis1138 said:

I don't sail for 2 weeks, but based on my previous NCL cruises, I'm betting that it will start around 10 am. I usually go for the 3rd or 4th slot, since by that time, things are moving.

Boarding starts at 10am?!?

25 minutes ago, conandrob240 said:

Ditto ???????

Usually (not NCL-specific) starts between 11 & 12 in Southampton.

And usually passengers advised in due course of their allocated boarding time, before which they might not be permitted to register. 

Later than the allocated boarding time isn't problematic, provided it's by the latest registration time.

JB 🙂

Posted (edited)

Agreed. I didn’t think any ship boards at 10am. We want to be there waiting for the ship to open to boarding. So I’m just trying to figure out the best arrival time. I’m thinking 10am or 10:30am arrival time. We are perfectly content to sit and wait for an hour or two.

Edited by conandrob240

54 minutes ago, conandrob240 said:

Nothing yet.

In all my NCL cruises around the world, you can usually get into the building between 9:30 and 10:30 am.  But conditions can vary on all sorts of things. There is never an official "open the doors time".  I've arrived a few times and had to sit (or stand) around outside the building while they wrap things up with the ship full of passengers that just disembarked that morning.  Boarding usually starts between 11:15 and Noon.

On my one NCL cruise out of Southampton, I arrived in Southampton via train at 9:50.  Adding 15 minutes to get to the terminal via taxi, I was there about 10:10 or so.  But the porters taking the luggage from arriving passengers were still on their break after working to unload all the disembarking luggage.  At about 10:30, they started to accept luggage from arriving passengers who had queued up at the luggage drop-off door and that is when we could get inside the building to start the check-in process.  I was on board by 11:15 or so, if I recall.

Posted (edited)

I wasn’t asking what time the building opened. I was asking what time they start boarding Prima in Southampton for a 5pm sail time. 

so you walked right on after checking luggage and checking in? They boarded before 11am?

Edited by conandrob240

2 hours ago, conandrob240 said:

Oh sorry. I thought you asked about the times given for check in. I doubt that actual boarding begins at 10 am. They will probably start around 10:30 am with disabled, priority, Haven and by 11:30 am be on general.

No boarding. I’m surprised they board that early. 10:30 am is great! And this helps a lot. We’re going to order the car to get us there around 10am.

If we’re leaving the Heathrow airport area on a weekday around rush hour, how long can we expect the drive to take in a private taxi?

On 6/6/2024 at 9:26 PM, Ellis1138 said:

Please come back and let us know. I don’t want the 3rd or 4th slot, I want to be waiting for them to call boarding!

1 minute ago, conandrob240 said:

Please come back and let us know. I don’t want the 3rd or 4th slot, I want to be waiting for them to call boarding!

I won't know for sure, because we'll be going on June 23, 2024 and I picked 10:30 am because while there is a rush to be the first on the ship, nobody tries to be fourth. 

On 6/6/2024 at 9:23 PM, conandrob240 said:

We were on that cruise last summer. I can't say what time boarding started. I can say I estimated what time we would be there and we got there about 1/2 hour earlier. They just put everyone from the cruise transfer on the line with no checking of what time you were scheduled for.

We did not have rough seas, or at least did not feel them. 

And we loved the cruise.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

We were on that cruise last summer. I can't say what time boarding started. I can say I estimated what time we would be there and we got there about 1/2 hour earlier. They just put everyone from the cruise transfer on the line with no checking of what time you were scheduled for.

We did not have rough seas, or at least did not feel them. 

And we loved the cruise.

Thank you! We are doing a private taxi not the cruise transfers. We are going to plan to arrive at 10am. Getting excited!!!

5 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Are you sure? Only asking as it appears to me that it was replied to a mere 16 minutes after you posted it. Check the timings here

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3012500-ncl-prima-embarkation-qs/#comment-67487259

Oh my goodness, correct. I didn’t have any notifications so I thought no one replied. Thank you!

On 6/6/2024 at 9:23 PM, conandrob240 said:

Although I said earlier that we did not have rough seas, we may have had at least at one point, but did not feel them which is what I really think you are interested in.

We missed our first port in Belgium because of an extremely low tide. We were told on that day we would port in Amsterdam (the next day's port) late that afternoon, but did not and the reason given was "rough seas". But again, we never felt them. 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, conandrob240 said:

Oh my goodness, correct. I didn’t have any notifications so I thought no one replied. Thank you!

I think the issue was one of two things, possibly three..

The member who replied didn't "quote" you so no notification.

You forgot or didn't know you could "follow" your thread. Without either,

you need to keep an eye on it by checking for any replies.😀

Edited by edinburgher