norweigan cruise line

kids1stcruise

Based on your last couple posts, I have one word for you: RELAX. There are several cliches that come to mind - "Variety is the spice of life." "To each his own." "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." "One man's ceiling is another man's floor." You get the idea.

Every cruise line has its devotees and detractors. You'll find tons of threads that start out with "Never again" on pretty much every line. You'll find plenty of negative comments about customer service, food, service, entertainment, etc., on all the message boards.

On the other hand, there are plenty of positives, too. I'm not sure what you've been reading, but it appears that you only recall the negative. Trust me, there are plenty of positive comments on the NCL board.

Please don't allow other people's opinions to make up your mind. These boards are incredibly valuable, but (to me) their primary value lies in objective information, information that doesn't rely on opinion - embarkation procedures, number of dining rooms, surcharge fees, types of cuisine offered, number of pools, Kids Club activities offered, size of cabins, etc. Take advantage of others' experience, but not at the expense of depriving yourself of what could be a wonderful cruise experience.

As you pondered, how can 2000 people per ship all be wrong?

What makes you think NCL is bad??? Many people LOVE NCL. If you do some homework and read through the boards, you will find that, like any other cruiseline, there are those that love it and those that don't.

I think a lot has to do with what your expectations are. It is usually less expensive than other cruiselines, so you don't get as much frill, but if that is not important to you then you will probably love NCL. As my TA says, as far as cruises go, it is the least expensive way to get from point a to point b, if you consider your destination to be the focal point of your vacation and not the ride there. You will be pampered, but not as completely as on the high priced lines.

if this line is sooo bad why does each sailing have 2000 passangers?

:cool:

Who says that NCL is sooo bad??? I have been reading this board for a few weeks now, looking forward to my trip on the Spirit in may, and I have read so many positive reviews about this ship, and also NCL. I have seen a few bad posts, but IMHO, they are few and far between and the majority of posts are positive, overall. And many of the positive reviewers seem to have sailed with other cruise lines, and also many are repeat NCL customers.

I am really looking forward to my cruise due in large part to what I have read here. Keep reading, then report back to us after your cruise.

I've been on 6 NCL cruises and before each one I start reading all the negative things that get posted about the ships.....it gets overwhelming and I wonder if I made the right decision. While on the cruise I wonder if the people who posted the negative things were actually on the same ships as I was. Go on your cruise with a postive attitude, and your vacation is what you make of it. Your the only one who can decide if cruising is for you, don't let others cloud your decision.

I've always been ready to book my next cruise before I get off the one I'm on. Unfortunately this time I didn't do it so I'm scrambling now to make a decision on what NCL ship to take next time, and how soon before I can cruise again.

Relax, enjoy.....

:)

thanks for settling my mind.

in aug dh, ds10 ds 13 will be on spirit--i am nervous since we usually go to the beach or disney for a week vaca.

i have a timeshare so usually our vaca is minimal as far as $$$ goes.

seeing my price in full is making me panic--hoping i am doing the right thing

we were just on the spirit. Like you, i read many negative posts and got myself all worked up. It was our first cruise and we had a blast! Remember that any vacation is what you make of it. We are ready to book another!! Hang in there...it will be over and done with soon enough!

I just came back from my first NCL cruise on the Spirit. I loved it and will definately sail with them again. I read all the same stuff you did. Go with an open mind and expect to have a good time. Don't expect the opposite.

Mike

Hi kids1stcruise,

NCL was my kids 3rd cruise and my 4th. We sailed on the Sun Feb. 25th, booked originaly to leave from New Orleans but ended up out of Miami. We all loved it. We are already looking forward to another NCL cruise for Feb of 2007, haven't booked yet as we are waiting to see what the Pearl is going to do. The teens program was amazing, that combined with Freestyle will keep us as loyal NCL clients.

As previous posters have mentioned it is all a matter of opinion and expectations. Wait, and make up your own mind.

Do continue to read all the NCL threads as that will help answer many of your questions in advance. Do plan your shore excursions in advance as kids like to know before hand what they are doing in each port (see the boards for ideas).

Don't let yourself worry about any negative posts, it is supposed to be a holiday!!!!!

M.

kidsfirstcruise,

All the previous posters have put it so well. We've cruised NCL, Carnival, Princess, and Royal Caribbean. I have seen enough negative posts on all these cruises to discourage even those who aren't easlily discouraged. However, all of our cruises were wonderful!

My philosphy and advice is simple - Soak in the positive posts and ignore the negative ones. I swore we would never cruise Carnival, however, friends of ours got a great deal and talked us into it. The positive posts posts ran about 50-50 with the positive posts. I'll admit, I becam concerned and didn't even tell my wife about all the bad posts. Bottom line - we enjoyed this cruise as much as any of the others.

Have a great cruise.

Here are all the negatives you need to worry about:

1. The kids are never going to let you cruise without them after this trip.

2. Addiction starts on the very first night.

3. The cruise you scheduled is not long enough. (even if its a 17 day)

4. Which cruise to book for next trip?

5. 3 words--- POST CRUISE DEPRESSION

Relax and you will have a great time!

Your observation that there are over 2000 passengers per cruise is crucial. If you watch the boards, there are usually only a couple of negative reviews per cruise per week (and sometimes less than that). It seems to be human nature that we like to share the dissapointments and skip over the things that live up to or go beyond our expectations.

I prefer to listen to the "deafening silence" of the 1,998 people whose cruise experience lived up to their expectations than the 2 who were disappointed. The twist on the old saying about not being to please all the people all the time holds true for everything, especially on a cruise when you have all different walks of people living together for a week.

Don

Here are all the negatives you need to worry about:

1. The kids are never going to let you cruise without them after this trip.

2. Addiction starts on the very first night.

3. The cruise you scheduled is not long enough. (even if its a 17 day)

4. Which cruise to book for next trip?

5. 3 words--- POST CRUISE DEPRESSION

Relax and you will have a great time!

Ha!:) We have some friends we've cruised with the last couple years. Their kids had to stay home this time. It was not pretty:rolleyes:

It's not an addiction, it's a mission:cool:

#3 is a truism. No matter the length it isn't long enough.

We cruise wehere the Packer players cruise--- no worrys ;)

Kids1st-When my wife & I booked the (at that time) new NCL Sun,I was nervous,seeing a fair amount of negative posts..when we got on,almost immediately we loved NCL..we ate 4 nights in the pay restaurants and LOVED all of them especially Le Bistro,till this day the BEST meals we've ever had at sea.....you can't please 2000 people..NEVER..there are always complainers....we sailed HAL's Westerdam at Thanksgiving and when I posted some negative experiences or observations,I got blasted on the HAL cc threads..I never exaggerated or lied-just told what happened..we had a good time(not great-good) and a cruise is always better than working at home.......since I'm a PT cruise home agent,I actually looked for problems on the Sun,from service to food,to entertainment,to cabin problems,BUT NO.......everything was terrific!! I was furious!!! Where was all the "Oh,NCL stinks" stuff??? What happened was before NCL's new ships started appearing in '98-99,yes,some of their older ships were dated,cabins tiny,staff problems,etc....but that all changed when the Sun,Star,Dawn came out and now the Jewel and soon to be Pearl...We love freestyle cruising and dining and that's one reason we booked the Jewel for Thanksgiving..we also like Princess.RCL and yes,Carnival..we didn't like AS MUCH-HAL and Celebrity..though we did have a good time.....DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS!!!! Don't worry,you'll love the Jewel!!!!

Big Al

you will always find the negatives out there: you will also find some on the ship that would rather gripe and bring everyone else down with them. If you let these people influence you your week will be miserable. No one is going to tell you your cabin will be like a palace, every single bite of food will be 5 star or that you won't find one single thing to complain about. That being said, you hit the nail on the head, why do so many people cruise NCL or any line for that matter and why do some of us keep coming back? Is it because we think it's fun to throw our money away expecting a bad experience. Every line has those who would wished they had chosen another cruise or another vacation, but these people are few and far between. Your kids will have a blast expecially with the choices of places to eat and with activities that will get them involved with others their age. Stop worrying before you talk yourself into having a bad time and smile!!!!! NMNita

Last year we sailed on the Pride of Aloha, while I agree it wasn't five star service, we didn't think it was bad and really was pleased with the kids club. We just got back from a Disney cruise this Christmas, while the service is definitely better then on NCL, we were disappointed with the kids programs.

Even the best company misses the ball sometimes and people who had a bad experience are more likey to complain on a board like this then the 99% who had a great time. So read these boards with a grain of salt.

We've been on 5 or 6 NCL cruises, as well as cruising on several other lines. Every cruise has been different even when we have cruised on the same ship for the second time...and none of them have flawless. But a cruise vacation is mindless...you eat, sleep and be merry. Like they said on the Apprentice commercial tonight...freestyling, anywhere, anytime. Unfortunately there are too many out there that seem to only find pleasure in finding fault. Life is too short to go through it looking for fault. We will be on the Dream in September...I'm going to have a great time and hope everybody else will too!

We have been on many, many cruises. We sailed NCL in the 80's and it was horrible. After that we sailed Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Holland America and most of all Celebrity.

Last May we went on the NCL Star to Alaska. We had an AF mini-suite and we had an absolutely wonderful vacation. I love the Freestyle cruising and I can't wait to go to Alaska next year on NCL again. Was the cruise perfect? Was any cruise we have been on perfect? No. That doesn't mean we didn't enjoy it and want to go again.

Don't let people's opinions set you up for disappointment. Most of cruising is what you make it, so go with an open mind, forget the negatives you have heard, and just totally enjoy. You will be hooked.

Was the cruise perfect? Was any cruise we have been on perfect? No. That doesn't mean we didn't enjoy it and want to go again.

All of the NCL cruises we've been on have been pretty darn near perfect. And the main source of the problems that came up? The passengers! Those who are not thoughtful of their fellow passengers, or don't treat the staff with any kind of dignity.

We love NCL and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time!

Hikini:D

I love cruising on Holland America. That being said, I love cruising with my wife on HAL, however, as you can see from my signature block, I've been on NCL numerous times, usually with my kids, and now grandsons. It's a better deal economically, the kids programs are the best at sea, IMHO, and NCL goes to more interesting ports. To me, family is everything, and NCL gives my familiy the best bang for the bucks!;) If I need the elegance, HAL's the line. If I'm looking for first class food and service, I'll book HAL.:) For fun for the family, NCL's the ticket!:D

I love cruising on Holland America. That being said, I love cruising with my wife on HAL, however, as you can see from my signature block, I've been on NCL numerous times, usually with my kids, and now grandsons. It's a better deal economically, the kids programs are the best at sea, IMHO, and NCL goes to more interesting ports. To me, family is everything, and NCL gives my familiy the best bang for the bucks!;) If I need the elegance, HAL's the line. If I'm looking for first class food and service, I'll book HAL.:) For fun for the family, NCL's the ticket!:D

Archived