Current Norovirus on some P&O ships

1 hour ago, 9265359 said:

What will kill norovirus is Hypochlorous Acid (HOCL) 

I am surprised this product has not had better press, especially since covid. It is considerably better than bleach for many uses and is classified as non toxic in its more dilute forms, it is much more expensive than bleach. I used a dilute solution in my bath when my eczema was bad. I still have hand wipes which go on cruises with us. However it is still not a replacement for hand washing and doesn't have any magical properties, but every little helps.

• Like 3

On Arvia now and not heard of any illnesses yet. Hopefully that continues.

Still seeing lots of people entering the ship and restaurants and leaving the toilets without washing their hands. It's unbelievable really!!

We tend to avoild the buffet and Quays for this reason which is a shame as we like the Quays. We did however go to the Quays just now as back on board from a trip ashore. I was surprised to see no hand gel at either entry point??? Has something  changed??? We washed our hands and as we were at least 10 people joined the queue for the fish and chips and didn't. 

The staff are keen entering the MDR to ensure use of the gel but it doesn't make sense to not be keen elsewhere. 

Oh well, hopefully we will be ok with the precautions we take.

It its an airborne disease, its impossible to protect against with hygiene.

Spread through touch, then the only hygiene that really matters is your own.

People can be less than hygienic but it wont affect anyone unless you put your own fingers in your own mouth.
So go ahead and use the salt and pepper shakers, but dont then put your hands in your mouth.
You cant catch it unless you do.

Of course that doesn't protect you from someone touching a bread roll, then putting it back but it would take a very weakened immune system for that to floor you.
And what weakens immune systems?
Over zealous hand washing, sanitising and avoidance of bugs and germs,

The problem with cruises.....and many land based hotel packages at Christmas etc.....is that there is a large population of elderly people many of which are very lax when it comes to hygiene due to various difficulties they have. Seen it many times caring for elderly in hospital.  (former nurse) and as much as we voice our interest in better hygiene, it falls on deaf ears with the people the most responsible.

The single best way to protect yourselves from Norovirus is not to be over zealous with sanitiser and hand washing in general, put finger in your mouth at home when they aren't scrubbed clean to build resistance to bugs but don't put fingers in your mouth on the cruise. (its amazing how many times we inadvertently do this)

And most of all, enjoy your cruise without worrying what other people are doing.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, LittleTinker said:

People can be less than hygienic but it wont affect anyone unless you put your own fingers in your own mouth.
So go ahead and use the salt and pepper shakers, but dont then put your hands in your mouth.

Of course that doesn't protect you from someone touching a bread roll, then putting it back but it would take a very weakened immune system for that to floor you.
And what weakens immune systems?
Over zealous hand washing, sanitising and avoidance of bugs and germs,

The problem with cruises.....and many land based hotel packages at Christmas etc.....is that there is a large population of elderly people many of which are very lax when it comes to hygiene due to various difficulties they have. Seen it many times caring for elderly in hospital.  (former nurse) and as much as we voice our interest in better hygiene, it falls on deaf ears with the people the most responsible.

The single best way to protect yourselves from Norovirus is not to be over zealous with sanitiser and hand washing in general, put finger in your mouth at home when they aren't scrubbed clean to build resistance to bugs but don't put fingers in your mouth on the cruise. (its amazing how many times we inadvertently do this)

And most of all, enjoy your cruise without worrying what other people are doing.

Sadly I think you do have to worry about other people's lack of hygiene. 

Coughing and sneezing is a whole different story that I won't go into though today.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Sawdan said:

Sadly I think you do have to worry about other people's lack of hygiene. 

Coughing and sneezing is a whole different story that I won't go into though today.

Sometimes it's others actions that can cause lack of hygiene that has the knock on effect .

This morning whilst having breakfast a man sat alone on a table set for two had a coughing and sneezing fit spluttering  all over his table .Not a problem these things happen.

The restaurant manager walking by gave him a reassuring "Bless you"  .

The guy later finished his meal and left , and a young lady cleared his side of the table and wiped the table top with a cloth .

As we left some ten minutes later the manager was near our table and wished us farewell.

I pointed to the mans table still set with knife fork spoon and serviette for someone to use

and reminded him of the events that had taken place ?

He thanked me for reminding him and got the young lady to clear the table fully.

We can all do our little bit if we know somethings wrong .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, LittleTinker said:

Norovirus is transmitted both airborne and touch, for example touching that table or chair that hasn't been cleaned properly after use by the previous occupant and then picking up a bread roll to eat.

9 hours ago, LittleTinker said:

Utter utter nonsense that only those with a weakened immune system are susceptible to norovirus. Utter utter nonsense.

9 hours ago, LittleTinker said:

The single best way to protect yourselves from Norovirus is not to be over zealous with sanitiser and hand washing in general,

And yet more nonsense.

The best way to protect yourself is to be zealous with handwashing and the best way for the cruise line to protect its customers is to properly clean and making sure people are washing their hands.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

Utter utter nonsense that only those with a weakened immune system are susceptible to norovirus. Utter utter nonsense.

And yet more nonsense.

The best way to protect yourself is to be zealous with handwashing and the best way for the cruise line to protect its customers is to properly clean and making sure people are washing their hands.

You may think its nonesense but my immune system has served me well on over 40 cruises. Where for most of them we have used the buffet for breakfasts regularly, and not gone out of our way to ensure our table was sterilised  before use. 

I don't have any stats, but I suspect that passengers with a healthy immune system are far less likely to succumb to noro,  than those who go over the top to avoid any germs or bugs.

• Like 11

Norovirus is transmitted both airborne and touch, for example touching that table or chair that hasn't been cleaned properly after use by the previous occupant and then picking up a bread roll to eat.

And yet more nonsense.

Ill give you that norovirus COULD be airborne if you happen to be stood extremely close to someone who is vomiting. Otherwise, no, you cant catch norovirus by standing next to someone who has it.

But the rest isn't nonsense.
Your immune system will improve and grow stronger if you allow bugs into your system. Over zealously washing and sanitising kills any chance you have of ingesting anything that will help you develop antibodies. You know, just like how a vaccine works. (except for one)

And we really dont need 'teacher' telling us to go wash our hands before din dins.

• Like 4

Hmmm...

It certainly seems that some people do.

You feel some people need a crew member to tell them to go wash their hands before entering the buffet/dining room?

"I have done over 30 cruises and never caught noro, neither has my husband.  We don't spend our time running round with antibac cleaners at home and we have a dog.  Maybe our immune systems are just very good".  

Not quite as many but I had done over 20 cruises with no issues - until the last one on Arcadia.   I believe my own immune system and hygiene standards are good but I did notice a number of (older) passengers failing to take any care whatsoever.  Simply would not listen to / abide by the rules !   Seem to think they know best ! 

Sadly I picked up Noro - lasted less than 24 hours - but confined to cabin and the symptoms are extremely unpleasant.  I wouldn't wish this on others - so would ask you all to be careful and take whatever precautions you can.   

4 hours ago, LittleTinker said:

You feel some people need a crew member to tell them to go wash their hands before entering the buffet/dining room?

They definitely do. Some people are slobs when it comes to hygiene.

• Like 3

Can one of the admins look back and see the last time a P&O ship was mentioned in this thread before all the WHO virologists took it over please 

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Mollag said:

Can one of the admins look back and see the last time a P&O ship was mentioned in this thread before all the WHO virologists took it over please 

The tread us about P&O. In the post before yours, when I said they, in reference to the crew, I obviously meant P&O...simples.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LittleTinker said:

No, because I would hope that they had been sufficiently well trained so that they did without needing to be told.

15 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Perhaps it falls on deaf ears because we all know the elderly demographic is unhygienic and deaf.....Wash your hands.....What !!....see I told you and I don't allow elderly people to put their grubby hands in my mouth. No elderly folk like to be patronised,  or like generalisations...🤪

I did say "many"...not all.

13 minutes ago, LittleTinker said:

I did say "many"...not all.

Oh, that's far less insulting.  As an expert, can you put some numbers to this theory, are are you just generalising.

On 6/9/2024 at 4:14 PM, carlanthony24 said:

Spot on. But asking another person for sore throat tablets could mean anything. IE down to air conditioning (Cruise Cough). Its annoying when people watching and they just walk past the hand sanitisers on boarding. 

Well said i come off the Iona on 15th June runny nose cough even in my chest but a row days later now i feel fine and i used the sanitizer every time of those stations not just when i was entering or leaving a certain place. But if you read the post asking people caught the Norovirus on Iona a lot of people will say they did without taking the test. It's like having a badge to some people must be Norovirus couldn't be anything like you say Cruise Cough. For me it was probably spending to much time in Air Conditioning  then returning to Fresh Air all the time.Yes people will have caught Norovirus but where from. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

Well said i come off the Iona on 15th June runny nose cough even in my chest but a row days later now i feel fine and i used the sanitizer every time of those stations not just when i was entering or leaving a certain place. But if you read the post asking people caught the Norovirus on Iona a lot of people will say they did without taking the test. It's like having a badge to some people must be Norovirus couldn't be anything like you say Cruise Cough. For me it was probably spending to much time in Air Conditioning  then returning to Fresh Air all the time.Yes people will have caught Norovirus but where from. 

Not quite sure anyone is mistaking norovirus for a cruise cough unless they’re coughing water out of their backsides. 

Edited by Breezy5631
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

I was on the same cruise as you and was not aware of many coughs around. I too used the sanitizers and did wash my hands frequently and thankfully stayed healthy. The air conditioning is often responsible for some of the respiratory issues when on board.

i did see the guys spraying the atrium area a couple of mornings whilst on my way to breakfast, but not sure if that was usual practice or if there was indeed an issue.

Loved the cruise and the scenery was stunning.

• Like 2

VENTURA... The Captain has asked anyone on a back to back cruise to 

leave the ship tomorrow ,so a deep clean can be carried out ,when it docks in Tenerife .

1 hour ago, kalos said:

VENTURA... The Captain has asked anyone on a back to back cruise to 

leave the ship tomorrow ,so a deep clean can be carried out ,when it docks in Tenerife .

Nice try to mention a P&O ship on the thread #Fakenews

4 hours ago, Breezy5631 said:

Not quite sure anyone is mistaking norovirus for a cruise cough unless they’re coughing water out of their backsides. 

There are more symptoms to Norovirus than what comes out your backside or did no one tell you that.?  

2 minutes ago, Mollag said:

Back to back on Ventura in Tenerife please explain that Bye

Seeing you said please without sniping at peoples posts

If you are on a two week cruise ,Ventura will dock in Tenerife and those on

a two week cruise as opposed  to a week or their two week is at an end .

The folk staying onboard have been asked to leave the ship for a few hours 

so deep cleaning can take place and will be offered credit for doing so .

No mention of this being mandatory as far as I know .

How this will impact on incoming /outgoing flights to and from the ship  is

anyone's guess ?

Hope that helps -Have a good evening .

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, kalos said:

Seeing you said please without sniping at peoples posts

If you are on a two week cruise ,Ventura will dock in Tenerife and those on

a two week cruise as opposed  to a week or their two week is at an end .

The folk staying onboard have been asked to leave the ship for a few hours 

so deep cleaning can take place and will be offered credit for doing so .

No mention of this being mandatory as far as I know .

How this will impact on incoming /outgoing flights to and from the ship  is

anyone's guess ?

Hope that helps -Have a good evening .

How long has Ventura being doing Canaries fly cruises?

• Thanks 1