Questions regarding NCL air

We have a cruise booked using NCL air.  The flights are booked with Iberia operated by American Airlines.   My question is, do we check in thru Iberia or thru American Airlines?  Second question, who do we pay for our luggage?  The luggage question is due to a cheaper cost if you pay on line vs at the airport.

check your confirmation number.  Usually it will give you Iberian Air confirmation number, or AA confirmation number.  You pay for your luggage on line.  Also, keep in mind the carry on fee and personal item sizes.  I was on an NCL BOGO flight coming back from Athens to Los Angeles.  The Greek airlines charged for carry on ( if you did pay, you could not put it in the overhead bin), and they would not allow anything larger than purse/small backpack as a personal item.  The second leg was from London back to LA.  No problem with carry on or personal item. You can also pay for seat upgrades with airline as well on line.

• Like 1

So when checking in at airport, you always check in with the operating carrier, in this case AA. It also is the operating carrier that usually collects the baggage fee, as they are the ones actually handling the bags.

You save $5 on AA flights when prepaying baggage online, so I would recommend pre-paying on AA's website. If not they will happily collect at the desk.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MathMusic said:

So when checking in at airport, you always check in with the operating carrier, in this case AA.

Are you sure? We are flying Delta operated by Endeavor Air. There is no Endeavor Air at our airport. They should check in with Iberia, unless there is no Iberia at their airport.

For a codeshare flight it would usually be operating carrier. For the pair of Iberia/AA it would be AA. There may or may not be an actual Iberia desk at their airport.

When a regional partner operates a delta flight like Endeavor that flight is still basically a delta flight. If you look on the side of the plane it will say Delta, not Endeavor.

The Delta Connection program and American Eagle etc are functionally the same as any other Delta or American flights. But Iberia is a full parter airline with AA, not a small regional subsidiary.

24 minutes ago, MathMusic said:

But Iberia is a full parter airline with AA, not a small regional subsidiary.

So, if I'm in Amsterdam on a KLM flight to the US operated by Delta, I should check-in at Delta?  That doesn't sound right, but I've never had to do it yet.

28 minutes ago, MathMusic said:

For a codeshare flight it would usually be operating carrier. For the pair of Iberia/AA it would be AA. There may or may not be an actual Iberia desk at their airport.

When a regional partner operates a delta flight like Endeavor that flight is still basically a delta flight. If you look on the side of the plane it will say Delta, not Endeavor.

The Delta Connection program and American Eagle etc are functionally the same as any other Delta or American flights. But Iberia is a full parter airline with AA, not a small regional subsidiary.

This is correct.  The OP should check in at the American desk at the airport.  

4 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

So, if I'm in Amsterdam on a KLM flight to the US operated by Delta, I should check-in at Delta?  That doesn't sound right, but I've never had to do it yet.

Yes that's correct, KLM is selling you the same delta flight that you could book directly through Delta. Delta is the one that needs your bags, etc and to check you in.

8 minutes ago, MathMusic said:

Yes that's correct, KLM is selling you the same delta flight that you could book directly through Delta. Delta is the one that needs your bags, etc and to check you in.

As a not-yet-savvy international traveler, that is good to know. For future reference, how would one know that? I can picture myself waiting through a long queue at KLM, only to be told at the desk that I need to go to the (equally long) Delta queue. 😩

I can see that being confusing for sure, a lot of people probably learn the hard way the first time. I've been a corporate traveller long before becoming a cruiser so I have spent a lot of time on Flyertalk. Codeshare flights are a bit complicated, but quite often when they happen the first leg is market and operated by the same airline which simplifies things

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

As a not-yet-savvy international traveler, that is good to know. For future reference, how would one know that? I can picture myself waiting through a long queue at KLM, only to be told at the desk that I need to go to the (equally long) Delta queue. 😩

How would one know that?

Thats a very good question. Most of us know that because the first time we ran across the problem, we stood in the wrong line at the wrong counter and found out the hard way.

Then, we shared our experience and newfound knowledge with others such as this forum.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the responses.  So here’s another question/ issue.   When we check in on line, do we check in with Iberia or American.  I have downloaded the apps for both airlines and can log in and see my flights on both websites, so which one ?   The issue is that the two airlines don’t have matching flight information.   For some reason American has us on two flights out of our home city.  One flight matches Iberias.

any ideas on this?

2 hours ago, BeinKc said:

Thanks for all the responses.  So here’s another question/ issue.   When we check in on line, do we check in with Iberia or American.  I have downloaded the apps for both airlines and can log in and see my flights on both websites, so which one ?   The issue is that the two airlines don’t have matching flight information.   For some reason American has us on two flights out of our home city.  One flight matches Iberias.

any ideas on this?

Same here on flights “to and from” Rome this fall out of Atlanta. Spent 2 days on the phone trying to get seat assignments. Got a different story from each person I talked to. I was dealing with United, Air Canada and Lufthansa. 

Untied said to get seats through Air Canada. Air Canada said to go through United. Then United said to go through Lufthansa. Lufthansa said I could only get seat assignments when I arrived at the airport. Do what???

Who’s on first? 😂

7 hours ago, BeinKc said:

Thanks for all the responses.  So here’s another question/ issue.   When we check in on line, do we check in with Iberia or American.  I have downloaded the apps for both airlines and can log in and see my flights on both websites, so which one ?

Just go to one of of them and if it's the wrong one it will tell. you.

Usually your check in email 24 hours before will tell you who to check in with. You’ll usually have a link to the airline and check in online. When you get to the airport you go to that same airline.

Because an airport doesn’t have a dedicated desk for a specific airline doesn’t mean they won’t have a temporary one. Often it’s only 3 hours before your flight that the desk will open but there should be one. 

Now the harder part is figuring out luggage rules for codeshare flights. When in doubt be conservative. Air Canada uses smaller carry on dimensions that other airlines for example so if you had a flight operated by AC you should follow their rules even though you bought through let’s say American.

Go to the AA Site and search using the confirmation code next to the flight information. If you cannot find it there then do the same with IBERIA.

Baggage and seat fees are paid to the airline that has your reservation.