British Isles Hop on/Hop off Tours

Hello! I had posted this on the British Isles board but didn’t receive any responses so I thought I’d try posting it here …

Could someone please recommend a hop on hop off bus service in Dublin, Belfast and Glasgow. We will be on the Carnival Legend in July and we’re trying to figure out how to best see the sights without booking an actual tour. Any help you’re able to offer will be greatly appreciated! Thank you! 

Have done the HOHO in Belfast & Dublin.

In Belfast I asked a cabbie at the pier to drop me where the HOHO bus picks up. I LOVED LOVED LOVED this tour. Got to see so many murals. It is an all day pass...so I did the full tour, then started it again & got off at the Titanic museum.

In Dublin, we bought train/HOHO bus tickets from reps standing right outside the port area. Took the train in & the bus picks up right outside the train station (I think it was the Pearse stop--the reps told us). It was a good overview of the city. Started at 9:15 9 (we were on 1st tender at 730), and since most things weren't open yet, it was a good starter. Dublin isn't very big, could have seen most of it on a good walkabout, but with a tender to port & a train into the city, that cuts a bit of time off your day so this was a good way to see a bit. We then wandered down to Temple Bar area, had lunch, shopped just a bit & got tickets for 2PM at Irish Rock & Roll Museum (HIGHLY recommend). Then we walked quickly back to train station for 430 train as last tender was at 6PM. The day went quickly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@KKB Very helpful,  thank you so much! Will definitely follow your lead in Belfast. We know where we want to go in Dublin, just trying to figure out the logistics. Thank again! 

Did you purchase your Belfast tickets online ahead of time? 

Edited by VIFP1987
Added to post

On 6/18/2024 at 11:49 AM, staceyglow said:

I have done the London one and I recommend it.

We did the HOHO in London last July and you could be a wheelchair and move faster than the bus.  Pedestrian traffic was faster.

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

We did the HOHO in London last July and you could be a wheelchair and move faster than the bus.  Pedestrian traffic was faster.

Thanks for your input. We’ll have 3 days in London before our cruise. I very briefly considered the HOHO, but for the reasons you listed, we decided to see the sights on our own. 

12 hours ago, VIFP1987 said:

Thanks for your input. We’ll have 3 days in London before our cruise. I very briefly considered the HOHO, but for the reasons you listed, we decided to see the sights on our own. 

As a general rule, we love HOHO as an option.  This was our first time in London, and while we knew traffic was an issue in advance, we decided to do the HOHO for several reasons, including the mobility issues of one of our party traveling.  In a different time of year, we would try it again.  

I got off on one stop and decide to walk to the next, maybe 1/2 mile away (total guess on distance).  I beat the bus…….  There are advantages to doing HOHO, but if time is an issue (in terms of what you want to see and the time needed to do that is limited, it is a decision wher you you weigh the options.  

Let us know how your trip goes.

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

As a general rule, we love HOHO as an option.  This was our first time in London, and while we knew traffic was an issue in advance, we decided to do the HOHO for several reasons, including the mobility issues of one of our party traveling.  In a different time of year, we would try it again.  

I got off on one stop and decide to walk to the next, maybe 1/2 mile away (total guess on distance).  I beat the bus…….  There are advantages to doing HOHO, but if time is an issue (in terms of what you want to see and the time needed to do that is limited, it is a decision wher you you weigh the options.  

Let us know how your trip goes.

It was in fact our fully packed schedule that became the deciding factor to skip the HOHO.

Will do. 

9 hours ago, VIFP1987 said:

It was in fact our fully packed schedule that became the deciding factor to skip the HOHO.

Will do. 

This was our first time in London (it was pre cruise) and we LOVED it.

56 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

This was our first time in London (it was pre cruise) and we LOVED it.

It’s been 17 years since my last trip to London, looking forward to being there again! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VIFP1987 said:

It’s been 17 years since my last trip to London, looking forward to being there again! 

Enjoy, and let us know about it when you return.

• Thanks 1

We're going in August and opted to book tours through Guru Walk instead. They're walking tours that are guided by locals, and you pay by tipping at the end instead of buying a ticket of any kind. We booked one in Dublin and one in Glasgow, and there are a ton of options to choose from. Unless of course you or someone in your party can't do that much walking, in which case bus tours are always the fun way to go to see most everything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Sammah said:

We're going in August and opted to book tours through Guru Walk instead. They're walking tours that are guided by locals, and you pay by tipping at the end instead of buying a ticket of any kind. We booked one in Dublin and one in Glasgow, and there are a ton of options to choose from. Unless of course you or someone in your party can't do that much walking, in which case bus tours are always the fun way to go to see most everything.

Thank you so much for sharing this information! I’ll definitely look into this. 

There are a couple of different outfits in Dublin.  They are equivalent but they do have different routes to purchase.  You can find them online by searching  

They all pick up at the park (St Stephen Green). Cruise shuttles from the port drop you off at the same spot 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mary229 said:

There are a couple of different outfits in Dublin.  They are equivalent but they do have different routes to purchase.  You can find them online by searching  

They all pick up at the park (St Stephen Green). Cruise shuttles from the port drop you off at the same spot 

Thank you! I didn’t realize there were cruise shuttles from the port. 

37 minutes ago, VIFP1987 said:

Thank you! I didn’t realize there were cruise shuttles from the port. 

The port is quite industrial. A shuttle is usually required 

• Thanks 1

We've done the HOHO in both Glasgow and Belfast. Can highly recommend both. Belfast is terrific but I'd recommend reading up about 'The Troubles' beforehand to fully appreciate the tour. Absolutely fascinating to drive through the streets where so much horror unfolded in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

4 hours ago, backbiter said:

We've done the HOHO in both Glasgow and Belfast. Can highly recommend both. Belfast is terrific but I'd recommend reading up about 'The Troubles' beforehand to fully appreciate the tour. Absolutely fascinating to drive through the streets where so much horror unfolded in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Thank you so much! I’ll start researching “The troubles”.