Any knitters out there?

Posted (edited)

I have a couple of longer cruises coming up one with several sea days in a row and like to take my knitting. Carnivals prohibited items include scissors of any kind. I called Carnival and after a significant hold where the rep checked with the “resolutions” department was told no exceptions. What do you all do?  Shall I go to guest services each time I need to cut my yarn?  I understand large scissors with large pointy blades I guess however the only damage I can do with my blunt tipped 1 inch blade scissors is tear up some yarn.  Any suggestions?  

Edited by tha sista
Typo

I've taken my small (3" blade) in my notions bag and had no issues.  Never even knew that rule existed.  Like everything, I guess it depends who does your security check.  

Hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On one of my more recent cruises, one of the variety show performers remarked during the show that he had to check out his scissors for the act from security. They found them in his bag during embarkation.

Scissors are pretty easy to see in a metal detector, after all.

• Like 2

I have small (maybe 2 inch blade) scissors in my toiletry bag, never had them questioned or confiscated.  

When I was a child, most men carried small pocket knives.  I have done so since I got my first Boy Scout pocket knife when I was about 11 years old.  I've had three pocket knives confiscated by Security during embarkations.  But I did not have my knife confiscated far more times!  My suggestion is that you bring a small pair of scissors that you won't mind terribly if they get confiscated.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

I have small (maybe 2 inch blade) scissors in my toiletry bag, never had them questioned or confiscated.  

When I was a child, most men carried small pocket knives.  I have done so since I got my first Boy Scout pocket knife when I was about 11 years old.  I've had three pocket knives confiscated by Security during embarkations.  But I did not have my knife confiscated far more times!  My suggestion is that you bring a small pair of scissors that you won't mind terribly if they get confiscated.

Thanks for all the replies. I will certainly bring a cheap pair of scissors I just can’t imagine having to go ask someone to cut my yarn. We have certainly gone backwards. 🤦🏼‍♀️

• Like 1

I always bring a pair of blunt tipped childrens scissors with me for my yarn. I never knew there was a rule against it. Also, I usually carry a manicure kit with me so I have cuticle scissors as well. No one has ever confiscated them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always have a small pocketknife (the kind you can get by the register at Bass Pro or the WalMart sporting goods counter for a buck, so no loss if you lose it) in my checked luggage and have never had a question about it.  Also have never had questions about embroidery scissors or a seam ripper in my crochet bag, but as always YMMV.  Just carry something that you won't mind having confiscated in the worst case. My preference is the little throw away scissors that are always left over from disposable suture/removal kits, but it does rely on you having an inside contact in the medical profession :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GalaxyJane said:

I always have a small pocketknife (the kind you can get by the register at Bass Pro or the WalMart sporting goods counter for a buck, so no loss if you lose it) in my checked luggage and have never had a question about it.  Also have never had questions about embroidery scissors or a seam ripper in my crochet bag, but as always YMMV.  Just carry something that you won't mind having confiscated in the worst case. My preference is the little throw away scissors that are always left over from disposable suture/removal kits, but it does rely on you having an inside contact in the medical profession :classic_biggrin:

I like that!  I am the contact in the medical profession lol!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Google folding scissors.

i carry the small fiskars folding scissors, others show they carry the silver one.  Pictures below are from Amazon 

IMG_3529.png

IMG_3531.jpeg

IMG_3530.jpeg

IMG_3532.jpeg

I’ve never used the foldables but that would sure work. 

• Like 1

I am an avid knitter and bring two or three projects with me every cruise. I always pack a small pair of folding scissors with me, and they have never been a problem.

• Thanks 1

After having my expensive scissors confiscated by port security one time (I forgot they were in my bag), I now just use nail clippers. My scissors are so much more dangerous than the steak knife they have at the Steakhouse or the ones we're given at dinner, right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, PayneAS said:

After having my expensive scissors confiscated by port security one time (I forgot they were in my bag), I now just use nail clippers. My scissors are so much more dangerous than the steak knife they have at the Steakhouse or the ones we're given at dinner, right?

Exactly 

8 hours ago, PayneAS said:

They certainly are because scissors are actually sharp. I have never been given a sharp steak knife on a Carnival cruise. But the scissors I use when sewing are sharp enough to cut to the bone no problem.

• Like 2

https://www.carnival.com/help?topicid=1202

All scissors are prohibited. So all the ones people are saying should work, if port security finds them be prepared to leave them at the dock...

"Large scissors used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department but are held on board in the same manner as dive knives."

On a cruise long long ago one of the gifts I received in the gift exchange was an inexpensive small pair of folding scissors like in the picture above. I still think they are one of the best gifts ever! They have been on many cruises with me since and even use at home in a pinch and recommend them highly, even if not a yarn artist. 

• Like 1

I have never had any issues, but I may purchase the pendants that @Essiesmomposted. I have a 25 nighter coming up on Panorama in Oct. I’m flying Singapore Air to Singapore and they even have knitting/crochet hooks prohibited on flights. I may stick a cheap plastic crochet hook in carryon and leave good ones in checked bag. 

1 minute ago, crzndeb said:

I have never had any issues, but I may purchase the pendants that @Essiesmomposted. I have a 25 nighter coming up on Panorama in Oct. I’m flying Singapore Air to Singapore and they even have knitting/crochet hooks prohibited on flights. I may stick a cheap plastic crochet hook in carryon and leave good ones in checked bag. 

I'm going to change my chiao goo knitting needles to cheap wooden incase they don't like my metal ones.  That pendant is clever!  I've never seen it before!

4 minutes ago, tha sista said:

I'm going to change my chiao goo knitting needles to cheap wooden incase they don't like my metal ones.  That pendant is clever!  I've never seen it before!

You may have glanced over it, but not realized what it was for.  I think I’ve had one for 20 years.  I’ve never had my size 7&8 steel crochet hooks questioned by the airlines.  I crochet potholders from size 10 crochet thread.  EM

• Like 2

About the dinner knives on Carnival:  My last steak in the MDR was so tough that I asked for a chain saw to cut it.  They refused.  But the chain saw would not be good for cutting yarn neatly.

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, tha sista said:

I had that pendant before, and it’s handy. Another good hack is to bring  dental floss - that’s what I did on an international flight - the little cutter works great for yarn!

Changing out your chiao good sounds like a good plan! My chiao goos are also my go-to needles at home, but I travel with Clover bamboo needles. I also crochet, and it’s kinda funny that I never worry about bringing my crochet hooks because somehow they seem less threatening than my knitting needles!

• Like 1