Royal Newbie asks when cabins are ready on embarkation day?

On 7/9/2024 at 8:01 AM, little britain said:

The doors are shut for a reason, to enable the crew to turn and prepare the cabins.
Board at 1:30 and you’ll be able to go straight to your cabin. 
Problem solved. 

This ^. The amount of comments saying “well I’ve done it” are gross.  The doors are shut for a reason.  Turnaround day is stressful enough for the crew to get everything done on time, stay out of their way until they release the rooms, it’s not like there’s nothing else to do on a cruise ship.

• Like 5

On 7/7/2024 at 5:02 PM, joepeka said:

The door from the stairway area leading to our cabin hallway was definitely locked on Harmony a few weeks ago. Maybe it's just not consistent from ship to ship, floor to floor.

It's against maritime regulations.

1 hour ago, Malamel said:

stay out of their way until they release the rooms,

Exactly. I've accidentally wandered down a hallway on a top deck (was wondering the outdoor areas at the front of the ship and couldn't enter anywhere else) on turnaround day and it's chaos for the housekeeping staff. Stay out of their way is the best advice one can give, or board after 1pm and your room will very likely be ready to go.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, steveru621 said:

It's against maritime regulations.

Then I guess I do not understand why I could not turn the handles on both the deck 12 doors I tried. And please no speculation about a lack of arm and hand strength. ☺️

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, joepeka said:

Then I guess I do not understand why I could not turn the handles on both the deck 12 doors I tried.

Someone may have locked them when they were not supposed to. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Thank you. I was beginning to feel a bit gaslighted over this door situation. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, joepeka said:

Then I guess I do not understand why I could not turn the handles on both the deck 12 doors I tried. And please no speculation about a lack of arm and hand strength. ☺️

B2B consecutive cruisers are allowed to return to their cabins.

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

That's interesting. Locking the doors, because it's against maritime regulations, reminds me of the Titanic.  It should not be possible.

31 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

B2B consecutive cruisers are allowed to return to their cabins.

Again, that does not explain why the doors were locked on deck 12 on Harmony a month ago.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

That's interesting. Locking the doors, because it's against maritime regulations, reminds me of the Titanic.  It should not be possible.

The ship was docked in Galveston, not at sea. The only people who should have access to the passenger hallways in that instance were crew who have other means of egress in a dock side emergency. Regardless, the locks were on the passenger hallway side and crew could easily unlock and leave if necessary.

Edited by joepeka

12 minutes ago, joepeka said:

The ship was docked in Galveston, not at sea. The only people who should have access to the passenger hallways in that instance were crew who have other means of egress in a dock side emergency. 

I never said you were wrong! It's against maritime law. There very well could have been B2B consecutive cruisers in their cabins.  It doesn't matter why or when the doors were closed.  It's against human dignity to lock passengers on deck.  Titanic?

Have a great next cruise.

15 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

I never said you were wrong! It's against maritime law. There very well could have been B2B consecutive cruisers in their cabins.  It doesn't matter why or when the doors were closed.  It's against human dignity to lock passengers on deck.  Titanic?

Have a great next cruise.

Thank you Steve. As I mention above, I have been feeling a bit like my experience a month ago was in doubt by some.  My apologies if I came across as confrontational. 

Just now, joepeka said:

Thank you Steve. As I mention above, I have been feeling a bit like my experience a month ago was in doubt by some.  My apologies if I came across as confrontational. 

There are also plenty of doors / locks that are locked from one side yet can be opened from the other.  Not sure why so many want to doubt your experience.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

There are also plenty of doors / locks that are locked from one side yet can be opened from the other.  Not sure why so many want to doubt your experience.

This is true.  But people want to argue and be right.   

Another fact to consider is any door is technically a “fire door”.  It would be a barrier between you and a fire on the other side, but it can open so it is not a fire wall.  All doors usually have a fire rating, most commonly 1 hour or 2 hour, and that is how long it should resist and keep the occupants behind it safe.  

One more factor is that there are compartment or zones within a building or ship, which is what most people think of as fire doors.  Those doors are usually a two hour fire rated door and allow for horizontal evacuation.  

My guess is that people are descending into an internet fight so that they can be right about those doors being “locked”.  On each side of those “locked” doors there would be possible horizontal egress and definitely vertical egress.  If you do have the chance to walk down one of those hallways during turnaround, for Star class room access or other reason, there are many doors that are not normally open, including the crew access and stairwells.  It is possible that there is some sort of plan/design for alternate evacuation routes when certain doors  are “locked” to comply with regulations and should there be an actual need to evacuate.  Without knowing which areas are the actual horizontal evacuation zones on each deck, which doors are possible one way doors, or the operational plans might be in place on such large ships, this discussion is moot except for if you should bother the crew during turn around cleaning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/7/2024 at 8:05 AM, kevingastreich said:

Hi, our boarding time is 11:30.  Any idea when we can expect the cabin to be ready?  Can we drop off hand held luggage in the cabin before that time?  Thanks,

UPDATE from OP:

We boarded Quantum at 11:30 pretty painlessly.  Cabins were ready at 1:30. Several people in our large group did go into their cabins early and drop off luggage although we did not do that.