Comparing Avalon and Viking - Danube

Tedferg

First time river cruiser and trying to ballpark options. Among posts here on CC Avalon and Viking seem to be comparable, Viking often referred to as slightly more expensive. Looking at 7-day Danube in July 2025, 'Aquarium' class Viking is ~ $5700 Avalon ~ &7700 for two. I tried no air fare and no insurance etc. just to get a ballpark number.

Am I missing something?

Same number of days? Same route? Viking have 7 different cruises on the Danube plus 2 Christmas cruises.

I've not travelled with Avalon. But my advice is to draw up a list of what each includes: drinks with meals/at any time, excursions etc. then decide what you want. If you enjoy cocktails before and spirits after then that would be important to you, though $2000 would buy a lot of drinks. But if you don't drink alcohol then  you won't want to pay extra.

The Danube is one of the most popular rivers and there is a tremendous amount of competition. You've narrowed it down to two - so they must each have something that took your fancy.

I am certain that whichever you pick you will enjoy it. But if it is your first river cruise then if you go for the cheapest you can find out if river cruising is for you and if so whether you are happy to stay with the first line you booked with - most people are - or if there was something lacking then find another line that offers it

The pricing situation becomes even more muddled as companies offer discounts and incentives. As I say, there's a lot of competition on Danube cruises

Everyone will have their preferred line. I think you should look at the itineraries and dates available. Then look at the cabins that will fit in with your budget.

If you are going with Viking, they shifted the aisle to one side to give the balcony cabins more room than those with French balconies. Avalon (except for the two suites and the lower level) ONLY have French balconies. I'm not sure with Viking, but Avalon has virtual tours of each cabin to let you know how they are space wise - cabins are small on river ships, so be prepared if you are used to a larger ocean one. Although most don't spend much time other than sleeping and getting ready in their cabin, some like a bit of quiet time, so having a bit of space helps. Don't expect to sit on your balcony on Viking much as most sailing is done at night, and during the day, you could be rafted up against another ship....mind you, it's a good way to meet fellow cruisers who are rafted up against you. 😉 

Food is subjective, I think I've heard that Viking is buffet breakfast, and dinner & lunch from a menu. Avalon is buffet breakfast and lunch, with dinner from a menu. Don't worry about the buffet, they are well spaced out (at least on Avalon, haven't sailed with Viking) and it's not a rush or crowded space. Both have beer & wine available for lunch & dinner, Avalon has sparkling wine if you wish to start your day off with a Mimosa at breakfast, but once again, can't say for Viking as we haven't sailed with them. Avalon has a "happy hour" usually from 5-7 where drinks are free from a select menu, but you can also order off menu if you wish. I know Avalon's drinks off menu aren't over priced (at least for where I am), but I don't know what Viking charges. Avalon doesn't have a "drinks package" per say like Viking, but their wines change daily and are usually local.

Tours with Avalon are usually limited to 13-15 people and I've been on ones that were only 4. When we see Viking groups out, they seem a lot larger, but once again, this is only from seeing them touring, I don't know what their average size is. One main difference is Avalon has Active & Discovery tours where you can go biking, hiking, kayaking, canoeing etc. I believe the "discovery" part is similar to Viking where you do food tours, or visit special places. Avalon also has a small "gym" and bikes onboard that you can take out to cycle in free time.

Spend time looking at YouTube videos done by passengers - stay away from the ones done by tour companies or the actual lines themselves as they are done with actors. Avalon are few and far between, however you can get a good idea as to space in the rooms, and other areas on the ship, as well as some tours. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Tanks @Pontac and Daisi. I did a little research a couple of years ago and Avalon and Viking were my choices. Other lines seemed more 'plush' and more expensive, and the differences seemed mostly related to the ship.

Avalon seemed to stand out over Viking in my analysis at the time, better cabins, smaller passenger size etc. And prices were comparable. So I was surprised when I started looking again for 2025 that there is a big price difference.

It did not seem to be just one cruise itinerary / date. There were offers of free or low-cost air etc. but I tried to stick with just the basics.

Edited by Tedferg

I guess I was mistaken that they were similarly priced. I saw early references in CC under First Time Cruisers that implied they were similarly priced and 'sometimes Viking was a little more expensive'

Avalon might be a good choice, just that I was surprised at the price difference.

Regarding 'Avalon  ONLY have French balconies.', their Deluxe Stateroom is an Aquarium level just like Viking.

• Haha 1

Avalon does offer more included tour options - minimum of two, sometimes 3 or 4 per port including hiking and biking tours (which Viking charges for).  As long as tour times don't overlap you can do as many included tours on Avalon as you wish.  Avalon's non-included tours are significantly less than Viking in general.  For example a Salzburg tour from Passau on Avalon is costing me $127pp when I sail this October, the same tour from Viking $309pp.  Want to go to Rothenberg?  With Avalon it's $65, Viking $189pp - now mind you that the Avalon tour is several hours shorter, but I think that has more to do with amount of free time not the actual guided tour component.  Fancy a guided tour of Schonbrunn Palace in Vienna?  Through Avalon it's $79pp and with Viking it's $119pp.  And the list goes on.  

For those who don't or wouldn't book the additional tours this is no big deal, but for those who would, the additional costs can really add up with Viking especially as Avalon includes more tour options upfront.

• Like 3

Viking breakfast is both buffet and/or order off of a menu.  Omelets and fried eggs are cooked to order, and one can order an Egg Benedict or french toast, for example off of a menu.

6 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Regarding 'Avalon  ONLY have French balconies.', their Deluxe Stateroom is an Aquarium level just like Viking.

Yes, I said that "(except for the two suites and the lower level)", which is the Aquarium class. All other cabins are French balcony only, while Viking has both regular balconies and French balconies.

Just to clarify on Sharkster's comment, there is a menu of limited choice as well for breakfast and lunch from Avalon. To tell the truth, I've never looked at it, but I do believe I remember someone ordering waffles one day, and saying they were really good. I tend to eat a more continental breakfast so enjoy the buffet where I can select what I wish.

3 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

Viking breakfast is both buffet and/or order off of a menu.  Omelets and fried eggs are cooked to order, and one can order an Egg Benedict or french toast, for example off of a menu.

Avalon is the same.

29 minutes ago, Daisi said:

Yes, I said that "(except for the two suites and the lower level)", which is the Aquarium class. All other cabins are French balcony only, while Viking has both regular balconies and French balconies.

Just to clarify on Sharkster's comment, there is a menu of limited choice as well for breakfast and lunch from Avalon. To tell the truth, I've never looked at it, but I do believe I remember someone ordering waffles one day, and saying they were really good. I tend to eat a more continental breakfast so enjoy the buffet where I can select what I wish.

The waffles are amazing.  My husband raved about them for literally YEARs after our trip

I have not sailed Avalon but read that they now offer an alternative buffet dinner for those who do not want to do a sit down multi course dinner in the dining room. Has anyone experienced this option? Trying to confirm if it is true.

We haven’t eaten in the lounge, but I know it’s been available for quite sometime. I heard it’s “tapas style “ version of the same dishes served in the dining room. I’ve eaten lunch in the lounge and it was fine. The day we ate there, they had the bbq on the deck, and the food served in the lounge was more local and varied. 

@Tedferg, the one major difference between Viking and Avalon is that if you are booking your cruise more than 6 months ahead, you will have to pay Viking sooner. I’m not sure exactly how long they allow from initial booking to final payment, but I know it’s early. Avalon is the standard 90 days before sailing to pay. Something to consider. I say 6 months, because even if you do have to pay shortly after booking, you would be paying Avalon 3 months later. If you’re planning your trip for next year, you might want to check with Viking before booking when final payment is due. I see another post here today with someone getting surprised that they have to pay so early.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Daisi said:

@Tedferg, the one major difference between Viking and Avalon is that if you are booking your cruise more than 6 months ahead, you will have to pay Viking sooner. I’m not sure exactly how long they allow from initial booking to final payment, but I know it’s early. Avalon is the standard 90 days before sailing to pay. Something to consider. I say 6 months, because even if you do have to pay shortly after booking, you would be paying Avalon 3 months later. If you’re planning your trip for next year, you might want to check with Viking before booking when final payment is due. I see another post here today with someone getting surprised that they have to pay so early.

That is the exact reason we chose Avalon over Viking.  We weren't willing to pay for a cruise in full 1.5 years in advance of sailing.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, edgee said:

I have not sailed Avalon but read that they now offer an alternative buffet dinner for those who do not want to do a sit down multi course dinner in the dining room. Has anyone experienced this option? Trying to confirm if it is true.

I've had their buffet dinner a few times and believe it is a good option for a quick dinner if you want to get off the ship in the evening to explore. It is the same food as in the dining room but smaller portions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daisi said:

If you are booking more than a year in advance with Viking, you can negotiate the final payment to one year in advance. If you have an existing sailing with Viking that you haven't traveled on yet and then decide to book a second cruise, the second cruise final payment date can be extended to six months prior to departure. It's still due a lot earlier than Avalon but those are some loop holes you can consider.

18 hours ago, Daisi said:

Aha, I see now. You are saying Avalon Balconies are all French. I thought you were saying all Avalon CABINS are French.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I took a look at Avalon's website to check on current sales, etc. Are you looking at the Danube Dreams cruise? If so, I notice that it does say that you can choose either free air OR save $1,250 per person if you arrange your own airfare. Without either of those deals, I am coming up with a cost for two persons at the same amount that you mentioned. I wonder if you have considered their cruise called Illuminations on the Danube. That cruise in July 2025 is a 10-day cruise, rather than Danube Dreams 8 days. The price is listed at $3,969 per person, whereas Dreams is listed at $3,859, so it's not much higher and gives you two more days. That is, of course, not considering the choice of either the free air or $1,250 discount that appear to be available with Dreams. Also, you could ask the Avalon agent for clarification on the cabin upgrade that is mentioned on the Illuminations cruise. That might only be applicable within the Panorama suite category, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. Considering the two itineraries and calculating these amounts would be a good idea to see which one is more appealing, if the dates work.  

Like some have mentioned, you should consider some things about how the two lines compare that aren't obvious up front. Viking only offers one included excursion per day and others are generally expensive. Avalon offers more than one choice for excursions per day. On our cruise, some days two excursions were included at no extra cost; other days you at least had a choice to make as to which one sounded better to you. With Avalon, you have happy hour before dinner, so you can get free drinks then, as well as at lunch and dinner (I can't remember if it's only wine at lunch and dinner or cocktails are offered also). On Viking, if you want alcoholic drinks other than lunch or dinner, you either pay or purchase the Silver Spirits package. With Avalon, you have a payment policy that is the standard river cruise policy -- pay a reasonable deposit, and then the final payment is due 90 days before sailing. With Viking, you will likely be required to make full payment not long after you book your cruise. If you want a fitness room, bicycles, or a hot tub, you need to choose Avalon, because Viking has none of those on board. Food seems to be a toss up when comparing, with some preferring Viking and some preferring Avalon. It mostly depends on the chef, as well as a passenger's individual taste. Whichever you choose, I suggest getting travel insurance on your own rather than through the cruise line.

• Like 1

@CielBleu Thanks for an informative response. I saw the Avalon offer or 'save $1250' I clicked on 'Not interested in Air' and price did not change, so not sure how the $1250 is applied.

Yes, I was looking at Danube Dreams. I should have said 'Comparing Prices' in my title. We are at a very preliminary stage. Several friends are Ocean cruisers as we are and have recently done a River cruise. They all said it was wonderful.

A couple of years ago I did a cursory look and decided Viking and Avalon were best options for us and so was surprised when I checked again recently and saw the price difference.

9 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

@CielBleu Thanks for an informative response. I saw the Avalon offer or 'save $1250' I clicked on 'Not interested in Air' and price did not change, so not sure how the $1250 is applied.

Yes, I was looking at Danube Dreams. I should have said 'Comparing Prices' in my title. We are at a very preliminary stage. Several friends are Ocean cruisers as we are and have recently done a River cruise. They all said it was wonderful.

A couple of years ago I did a cursory look and decided Viking and Avalon were best options for us and so was surprised when I checked again recently and saw the price difference.

I would call Avalon if you don't want to use their air.  They will make sure you get the right price.  I am heading out on Avalon Danube soon.  Can't wait!  I'm doing Germany to Romania with Prague and Transylvania.  Will try to share as we travel if you are interested.

I've been told before that you have to call Avalon to get the flight discount taken care of, so that is probably still the case. I'm not sure why the booking page doesn't automatically calculate it.

On 7/18/2024 at 11:22 PM, edgee said:

We sailed with Avalon last month and yes, it offers an alternative buffet dinner in the lounge.  It is several items from the dining room menu offered.  It is small, covering only 2 tables and includes appetizers, entrees and desserts and tea and coffee.  

The lounge is used for Happy Hour so the Buffett isn't set up until after the dining room opens.  Dinner in the dining room starts at 7:00 so the Buffett won't start until 7:15.  On our cruise the staff were meticulous with not allowing you to approach the buffet until the actual starting time.

The dinner buffet was not available on the Captain's Gala night.  I noticed that night that there were quite a few empty tables in the dining room and waiters were busy delivering room service trays.  I am guessing that those who did not want to attend the dinner that night had to avail of the only remaining option of room service.

One day during our cruise Avalon had a BBQ lunch on the upper deck and we chose instead to avail of the lite lunch buffet instead of the BBQ lunch and it was really good.  There were quite a few of us who decided to do this and the Hotel Manager was over to us several times trying to encourage us all to go up to the top deck.  We stayed where we were.  

We also availed of the buffet dinner in the lounge on our last evening of the cruise as we wanted a quieter dinner.  It was a good choice and we enjoyed the options and wished we had taken advantage of it earlier in the cruise.

• Thanks 1