What to expect on a Holiday Cruise

Fortunate2

Experienced cruisers, your assistance please.   We're on the Silver Moon this holiday for Christmas and New Years and are not sure what to expect as far as festivities (I'm sure there are some), butler and housekeeper gifts and any general suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

I haven't sailed over Christmas or New Years but I will say if you are wanting to bring something extra for your Butler?  Cash is king....in my opinion anyway. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Fortunate2 said:

Experienced cruisers, your assistance please.   We're on the Silver Moon this holiday for Christmas and New Years and are not sure what to expect as far as festivities (I'm sure there are some), butler and housekeeper gifts and any general suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

On a different SS ship last Christmas/New Year, the ship was decorated throughout.  There was a fairly typical Christmas dinner that night (not lunchtime). So not any Christmas festivities as such. NYE there was a party on the pool deck until after midnight, with everyone rugged up!  It was a fun night.  Some ships might bring it inside.

On pre-pandemic holiday cruises there were special dinner menus for Chritmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Eve. The whole ship was decorated from early to mid December. On NYE there was usually a party for the countdown - at the pool or Panorama - depending on weather. I believe we got Christmas "gifts" of upscale chocolates. We haven't been on a holiday cruise since the re-start so don't know if it's been dumbed down like so much else.

21 hours ago, sea bright said:

On pre-pandemic holiday cruises there were special dinner menus for Chritmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Eve. The whole ship was decorated from early to mid December. On NYE there was usually a party for the countdown - at the pool or Panorama - depending on weather. I believe we got Christmas "gifts" of upscale chocolates. We haven't been on a holiday cruise since the re-start so don't know if it's been dumbed down like so much else.

This is exactly the same as I experienced the Christmas and NYE just gone, but I didn’t make it sound nearly as exciting as you have!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elizabethbea said:

Do you know how to message someone on this site?

You can’t actually message via the site as they’ve disabled it - one of you is going to have to share your email details 

18 minutes ago, Elizabethbea said:

Ok can I do this on the site( Im a rule conformer!!)

Yes, but it may open you up to internet bots harvesting your email for even more spam than you get now.  You could create a new account with one of the free services that you would only use for Cruise Critic, and then ignore any spam it receives.

We were on the Nova this past Christmas/New Years.  The ship was decorated, there were some Christmas activities such as Christmas carols and small events, a special Christmas menu was served on Christmas Day (not Eve) at select restaurants (ie, even La T was offering a holiday dinner), and New Years was spectacular with an amazing on deck New Years Eve party (we were in warm weather, it was a Lima to Fort Lauderdale cruise, thus, we were in the Caribbean for new years eve).  Lots of champagne and a great DJ made for a memorable evening.

We did get special chocolates on the new years in our cabin.

Even with the new relaxed dress code, passengers ""dressed"" for the holiday evenings with many in tuxedos or dinner jackets and pretty dresses - that also added to the atmosphere.  We loved it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Elizabethbea said:

Hi Port,  Im a cruiser in same state down in Dunsborough. Id love to chat about cruising-( esp the other line you cruise on.) Do you know how to message someone on this site?

I don’t think it is possible now, but my email address is in my signature.  I’d be very happy to hear from you.  Note you don’t write the usual way in order not to receive spam as @Host Jazzbeau noted.

carolpart59 at gmail dot com

Edited by Port Power

Christmas Eve/Day and New Years Eve dinners are always a special event. 

No need for special gifts for your Butler and Room attendant. It is in no way expected for you to do that. 

They always have nice decorations up, extra flowers. It’s definitely made to feel like a special occasion. 

The last two holiday cruises on the Dawn have been great. 

I expect the same on the Moon this year. 

34 minutes ago, GaitherBill said:

No need for special gifts for your Butler and Room attendant. It is in no way expected for you to do that. 

Some of the most special experiences in life are actions by others that are unexpected and unnecessary.  

If one can afford a Silversea holiday cruise, can probably afford some gifts to crew with whom one has had positive contact.  

Cash is king, and I always bring small money envelopes available banks with fresh US currency for the butler, suite attendant, bartender, etc.