Random interior room questions

I am booked on a Caribbean cruise on the Neiuw Statendam early in the new year. We chose an interior room to save pennies. We have never been in one. I was wondering, do the inside rooms have motion activated floor lights like the Balcony rooms, or should I buy a tiny light? Also what about the ventilation? Will we need a small fan in there? 

Is there anything else we should know about interior rooms? Yes I am worrying about my choice. 

Posted (edited)

You will be fine in your interior room.  I enjoyed one on ms Zaandam for 71 days around Africa.  Never needed a fan.  Used a tiny flashlight, so you might bring something.  The TV forward camera gave you a view outside, and the TV had a clock on the maps channel.  (On our June ms Eurodam 7-day Alaska cruise, I never did figure out the new-fangled improved large TV.)

Enjoy your cruise!

Barbara

Edited by bcummin
  • Like 2

I run hot so I brought a fan for both the 2019 and 2023 World Cruises (~250 days on the old Amsterdam and Zuiderdam) . We had OV on one and inside on the other. The OV was much hotter as the sun really warmed up the room - even with the curtains closed. It was pretty unbearable as we spent considerable time sailing near the equator. That’s why we opted for an inside on our 2nd WC.

I don’t know about the motion lights on the N. Statendam. Had them on Zuiderdam and didn’t like it as it was way too bright. We covered it with several layers of blue painter’s tape so it wasn’t so bright.

We loved the inside room as on the Zuiderdam we had one of the extra large ones. It was bigger than all cabins except the Neptune and Pinnacle suites. We had over 5’ between the foot of the bed and the closets. Lots of room for yoga and stretching for both of us! Plus we liked the darkness of the room for sleeping.

Liked it so much that we booked another inside for the 133 day Pole to Pole cruise. But it won’t be as large as the ones on the Zuiderdam.

• Like 2

Pinnacle class ships' lighting: modern bedside (goose neck) lights, floor, bathroom nightlight. Depending on the actual category you booked the cabin could be quite small. Need to be savvy about storage space, no drawers, just shelving, so I take clear plastic bags for small items like scarves, undies: keeps them in place. Try looking at HALfacts.com and compare what you booked to the photos. 

• Like 2

I agree to look at your cabin or another in same category on halfacts dot com. I usually sail the R- and Vista-class HAL ships, and in looking at the larger ships realize some cabins are significantly smaller -- some with no love seat and sometimes only one chair or stool. It can be fine if you are just sleeping there, but please look it up so you aren't disappointed when you board.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TryinCruisin said:

I am booked on a Caribbean cruise on the Neiuw Statendam early in the new year. We chose an interior room to save pennies. We have never been in one. I was wondering, do the inside rooms have motion activated floor lights like the Balcony rooms, or should I buy a tiny light? Also what about the ventilation? Will we need a small fan in there? 

Is there anything else we should know about interior rooms? Yes I am worrying about my choice. 

Although we have not been on the Neiuw Statendam we have been on the Eurodam, Oosterdam and Koningsdam always in an interior cabin.  There has never been a problem with cabin temperature even in tropical climates. Because we like the total darkness an interior cabin provides I buy a three pack of the small battery operated LED tea lights (votive candles) for $1.25 at Dollartree and turn one on at night in the bathroom. If you remember to turn it off in the daytime one candle battery lasts for about 7 nights.

• Like 1

We always stay in inside cabins.  All we do is sleep there.  We were on the Nieuw Statendam for a month in May/June.  3 weeks in a "sideways" cabin, which we really liked.  And a week in a regular cabin.  Yes, there are motion activated lights. We still used a small tea light in the bathroom.  The A/C worked well. You can order a fan. There was lots of storage space.

We are used to the older ships, and the cabin was definitely smaller, but we had no problems.

• Like 3

Just wrapping up a trip on Koningsdam with an interior cabin.  It has a motion light but we kept the bathroom light on with the door closed so no problem finding where to go.  Our booking was a guaranteed interior and were assigned a sideways handicap room.  It's bigger than I expected!

• Like 2

I am so glad the consensus was there were motion activated night lights and good ventilation. It's also wonderful that there are so many that love their interior cabin. This really puts my mind at ease. Thanks!

• Like 4

I always request a fan before the cruise starts. Just call your Travel agent, Personal Cruise Consultant, or HAL's main number to request one. It will be in your cabin when you arrive. If it turns out you don't need it, just have the cabin stewart take it away.