How quickly do cruises sell out?

My wife and I booked a Japan / South Korea cruise for March 2025.  We have always booked far in advance, usually over a year ahead.  In August, we had friends who were thinking of joining us, but the cruise was already sold out.  That got me to wondering, how far in advance do HAL cruises sell out?  What is your experience?

Some sell out quickly only to have plenty of openings later.  TAs buy up blocks early and if they can’t fill them they are later released.  Also after final payment date quite a few rooms may come available.  This is the downside to small, refundable deposits 

• Like 2

There are about 10 variables here. Some cruises...typically very unique ones, can sell out very quickly. 

Looking at a March 2025 cruise and finding it sold out now, on a relatively unique cruise route,  is definitely not surprising. 

• Like 1

I agree about unique itineraries. My Caribbean cruise for this winter has two ports that HAL doesn't usually go to. It's showing far less availability than other cruises of similar lengths. It's been like that for months. Neptune suites were sold out this spring. The itinerary is why I chose that one. I guess a lot of other people did, too.

It is also possible that there are some TA blocks being held. In the past week or so, more cabins became available, but not a whole lot more. Released block? Who knows? I keep haunting the site to see if I can upgrade my balcony to an aft-view. (Does anyone know when TA blocks get released? Final payment? Sooner?)

Cabins often become available around final payment when people have to decide if they're really going. The $1 and $25 deposit sales entice people to make bookings just in case they want the cruise. And if they don't, HAL hasn't been holding a lot of their money. Meanwhile, people who really do want to go have trouble getting a cabin they like. Or maybe getting a cabin at all. 

Another availability issue is the overlapping way HAL sells cruises. There are more unsold cabins for my winter cruise than HAL shows, even if I search for specific cabins. Some of these cabins are held for people booking B2B with the cruise before. Others are held for people booking B2B with the cruise after. @sciencewonk (great name, BTW), does your cruise have segments? Maybe HAL is holding some cabins for segments of your cruise? 

• Like 1

Suites and solos (ships that have them) on almost every sailing will sell out faster than other more common categories, as there's a limited number of them.  Ditto on staterooms overlooking the bow/stern.  And as @JeffElizabeth stated, if you want the top suites like the Pinnacles, you need to book sometimes a year in advance or more or as soon as the itineraries go public.

Edited by atexsix

9 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

With more and more people cruising faster than before COVID.

Hotel prices are getting outrageous around America so expect cruising to become even more popular.  500-1000 dollars a night around Yellowstone and $100 to pitch a tent at KOA.  Can spend less than that on a cruise with meals included.  

15 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Hotel prices are getting outrageous around America so expect cruising to become even more popular.  500-1000 dollars a night around Yellowstone and $100 to pitch a tent at KOA.  Can spend less than that on a cruise with meals included.  

I agree, I don't think we will see cruise prices going down.

2 hours ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Yeah, but no Ole Faithful on the ship.  You can go off season and the prices drop by half.  Just checked Old Faithful Inn for May $252 per night and that is the premium location 

19 hours ago, sciencewonk said:

What is your experience?

We tend to book 1.5 years in advance and no issues w/booking....but I do keep checking and rarely do the cruises have a price drop as it gets closer to sailing....That's been our experience for the past 2-3 years.

I did a query for Jan - March 2025 Asia cruises with HAL and of the 14 listed cruises, 8 are already listed as SOLD OUT (57%) so lots of demand for Asia w/HAL.  Of course, cabins will open up but overall, it's good business in Asia for HAL. 

Edited by FlaMariner
  • Like 1