Sun Princess Restaurant changes - New Article Announcement

FLAlaska

3 minutes ago, dog said:

Something I read on fb article said it was an upgraded menu. It also listed how many cabins were now able to dine in the combined Sanctuary restaurant.

If you did not pay $400-$2000 more for a cabin like some did months ago, you will not be affected by these changes.

I really don’t care and will try several of the venues, as walk in, since I could not get reservations for my whole week.

We seem to agree that Princess has changed the product they advertised and boy, I can see a lot of irritated cruisers in October.  I am just staying away from the complainers.

We were some of the ones "duped" into paying more for something they likely knew months ago they would be giving away free to fill the space. This is a complete disaster roll out by Princess across the board. We were on the ship in May for two weeks and did enjoy ourselves. We were witness to some of the things we would like to try for our upcoming December voyage so jumped at the opportunity when it came up to "upgrade". The Sanctuary Restaurant (formally Reserve/Signature) was one of those things. Let down yet again. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FLAlaska said:

Its still separate from the main dining rooms, but it is together with all the reserve minisuites and balconys that were converted to Sanctuary.  In all fairness, previously , the reserve (on other ships) includes them as well but I was looking forward to even more intimate with the separate suite and separate reserve that was originally sold

I was talking a bout the outdoor area (still in the deck plan) that is supposed to be for Signature Suites only.  And what about the Suite Lounge?  Is that now open to all?

18 minutes ago, PensFan1028 said:

We were some of the ones "duped" into paying more for something they likely knew months ago they would be giving away free to fill the space. This is a complete disaster roll out by Princess across the board. We were on the ship in May for two weeks and did enjoy ourselves. We were witness to some of the things we would like to try for our upcoming December voyage so jumped at the opportunity when it came up to "upgrade". The Sanctuary Restaurant (formally Reserve/Signature) was one of those things. Let down yet again. 

Interesting. You were on in May. The changes were announced For: April 23/24… The actual locations etc were just confirmed today.  Many posts and rumours since last week of April.

1 minute ago, Fredric22 said:

I was talking a bout the outdoor area (still in the deck plan) that is supposed to be for Signature Suites only.  And what about the Suite Lounge?  Is that now open to all?

The Sanctuary is for cabins in Sanctuary collection only as of October 14/24. The suite lounge is only for Suites S9 and above.

34 minutes ago, dog said:

Something I read on fb article said it was an upgraded menu. It also listed how many cabins were now able to dine in the combined Sanctuary restaurant.

If you did not pay $400-$2000 more for a cabin like some did months ago, you will not be affected by these changes.

I really don’t care and will try several of the venues, as walk in, since I could not get reservations for my whole week.

We seem to agree that Princess has changed the product they advertised and boy, I can see a lot of irritated cruisers in October.  I am just staying away from the complainers.

I see a big issue with so many who think they have the premier because the website and app is telling them they do when they don't . Most people will believe they have it especially since Princess has been so inconsistent with the Sun. It will be interesting those first few weeks.

• Like 1

OMG ! I guess when they decided to build a brand new ship they had no real plan as this fiasco is just continuing its saga. 
‘Princess needs to get rid of those supposed planing managers as they did a horrible one with the Sun. 

I understand a few updates here and there especially when building a 2nd or more ships of a same class but on its first one yikes 😱 this is sad. 

#getagrip #sadprincess #fail 

• Like 3

The only time I even noticed lots of people was at 7pm outside the aft elevators on deck 7.  And only at the beginning of the cruise.  There was confusion because that was the entrance to the anytime dinning plus you needed to go down the aft stairs to get to the deck 6 for the traditional dinning.  I think everyone was confused about where to go and it created a big cluster.  We were  heading to pre dinner cocktails so we just excused ourselve through the crowd.  

There were also large crowds trying to get into the Cirque show in the dome so we just skipped it.

Otherwise, I didn't notice crowds at all.  There are a lot of different places on the ship.  (We also avoid the main pool at all costs because of noise and crowds so can't comment on it.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, dog said:

Interesting. You were on in May. The changes were announced For: April 23/24… The actual locations etc were just confirmed today.  Many posts and rumours since last week of April.

This cruise was booked before anything had been changed or assumed. There was rumor of dining rooms moving, and being on the ship it was obvious that Catch and Butcher's block shouldn't have been in the back of the Eatery. They would have been best served in the American Diner location IMO. I don't read these boards daily or read Princess news daily. Only when there is something that relates to my own bookings or interests me overall. Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by PensFan1028

4 minutes ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

The only time I even noticed lots of people was at 7pm outside the aft elevators on deck 7.  And only at the beginning of the cruise.  There was confusion because that was the entrance to the anytime dinning plus you needed to go down the aft stairs to get to the deck 6 for the traditional dinning.  I think everyone was confused about where to go and it created a big cluster.  We were  heading to pre dinner cocktails so we just excused ourselve through the crowd.  

There were also large crowds trying to get into the Cirque show in the dome so we just skipped it.

Otherwise, I didn't notice crowds at all.  There are a lot of different places on the ship.  (We also avoid the main pool at all costs because of noise and crowds so can't comment on it.)

When we were on in May/June, the right side of the line on Deck 7 was for reservations, the left line was for any time. We had reservations every night and showed up 10 - 15 minutes early. Only had to wait behind maybe 2 people twice in 2 weeks. 

We were reserved at a really undesirable table near the front of the dining room near the entrance, in the walkway. We did eventually get a better table near the back with the window view.

8 minutes ago, nimiq said:

OMG ! I guess when they decided to build a brand new ship they had no real plan as this fiasco is just continuing its saga. 
‘Princess needs to get rid of those supposed planing managers as they did a horrible one with the Sun. 

I understand a few updates here and there especially when building a 2nd or more ships of a same class but on its first one yikes 😱 this is sad. 

#getagrip #sadprincess #fail 

My family were on the new ICoN in February and said it was worth every $$$$. Princess definitely needs to replace the decision makers and IT.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FLAlaska said:

I see a big issue with so many who think they have the premier because the website and app is telling them they do when they don't . Most people will believe they have it especially since Princess has been so inconsistent with the Sun. It will be interesting those first few weeks.

Well my app is at it again. Says I purchased the new unlimited Premier package again. I did not purchase a package. Locked out of website again.

This will be interesting- I will let you know- my cruise is October, before yours.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, dog said:

Well my app is at it again. Says I purchased the new unlimited Premier package again. I did not purchase a package. Locked out of website again.

This will be interesting- I will let you know- my cruise is October, before yours.

I just tried to upgrade my regular premier package to the new premier package and was told I was not able to do it.  I have to wait until I am on the ship... so weird!  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fredric22 said:

I just tried to upgrade my regular premier package to the new premier package and was told I was not able to do it.  I have to wait until I am on the ship... so weird!  

If possible. They told me that too.

But twice now my app says I have the upgrade.

And they can limit number they sell.  Also double captain circle credits for limited time pre cruise.

Edited by dog

What's really surprising is all the changes they've had to made to a new ship. The whole "family area" is scrapped, and then all the restaurants moving around. It's almost unheard of in the first year of a sailing. Someone really messed up in planning Sun Princess. You can say it's the first in it's class, but you didn't see drastic changes in the Prima-class, Icon-class, or Lady-class. Add that to the multiple delays in getting the ship ready. The team leading this debut must be in really hot water. 

• Like 4

Well,  this is rehashing old news....  But we are kind of back to the errors in planning, and in what Princess is/was trying to do with this new ship.   So,  just my .00000002 cents worth.

It seems to me that they ARE trying to appeal to the family cruisers, younger cruisers, and also the Ship-Within-a-Ship cruisers.   But, have completely and totally missed the mark in both counts.   They are scrambling here!!!

But, here is the thing that I am noticing.  Regarding Princess having an 'Identity' problem.

With so many new ships now, just by seeing videos, there is a HUGE world of difference between Princess, and a new Carnival ship, for example.   No matter who Princess thinks they want to appeal to, they have their niche, and they might be better off to acknowledge that.

For example... Even with younger cruisers and many more kids onboard,  look at the SailAway event.  Yes, Princess brings out their group of dancers...  But when you look at the people, they are happy to be on a cruise, but could obviously care less about a lively event.  A real 'yawner'.  Literally.   Same type of event on a new Carnival Ship, and it is hundreds of people participating and celebrating.   Same thing with an evening deck 'party'....   No organized activity, just some music spinned by a DJ.     Doesn't matter who Princess wants to appeal to, your niche, your demographic, your identity doesn't just change overnight.

On the other hand, it seems clear that many Princess Cruisers and prospective Princess Cruisers are very keen on an upgraded Ship-Within-A-Ship experience.

I, personally, do not have any problem with Princess' efforts here.   Just needs a LOT of tweaking.  Maybe fewer 'Sanctuary' Cabins...  and a focus on the upgraded experience.

As mentioned, I think we will have to see how the new upgraded dining experience works out IRL.   

I also do not think anything is set in stone regarding that Suite Area in the Sanctuary Club.

Princess could very well, and very easily, set up a Suite Only Area.

I am not livin' the Suite Life...  But would totally understand if they did that.

A person who books an actual Suite does have some elevated expectations.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

Well,  this is rehashing old news....  But we are kind of back to the errors in planning, and in what Princess is/was trying to do with this new ship.   So,  just my .00000002 cents worth.

It seems to me that they ARE trying to appeal to the family cruisers, younger cruisers, and also the Ship-Within-a-Ship cruisers.   But, have completely and totally missed the mark in both counts.   They are scrambling here!!!

But, here is the thing that I am noticing.  Regarding Princess having an 'Identity' problem.

With so many new ships now, just by seeing videos, there is a HUGE world of difference between Princess, and a new Carnival ship, for example.   No matter who Princess thinks they want to appeal to, they have their niche, and they might be better off to acknowledge that.

For example... Even with younger cruisers and many more kids onboard,  look at the SailAway event.  Yes, Princess brings out their group of dancers...  But when you look at the people, they are happy to be on a cruise, but could obviously care less about a lively event.  A real 'yawner'.  Literally.   Same type of event on a new Carnival Ship, and it is hundreds of people participating and celebrating.   Same thing with an evening deck 'party'....   No organized activity, just some music spinned by a DJ.     Doesn't matter who Princess wants to appeal to, your niche, your demographic, your identity doesn't just change overnight.

On the other hand, it seems clear that many Princess Cruisers and prospective Princess Cruisers are very keen on an upgraded Ship-Within-A-Ship experience.

I, personally, do not have any problem with Princess' efforts here.   Just needs a LOT of tweaking.  Maybe fewer 'Sanctuary' Cabins...  and a focus on the upgraded experience.

As mentioned, I think we will have to see how the new upgraded dining experience works out IRL.   

I also do not think anything is set in stone regarding that Suite Area in the Sanctuary Club.

Princess could very well, and very easily, set up a Suite Only Area.

I am not livin' the Suite Life...  But would totally understand if they did that.

A person who books an actual Suite does have some elevated expectations.

What Princess was doing was not ship within a ship ala NCL Haven or MSC Yacht Club, it was trying a class system ala Cunard and Celebrity.

• Like 1

What's up with Princess hiding behind a curtain with regards to changes with the Sun Princess?  First it was Park19 and now it's the dining.  Why can't Princess come clean and issue an official statement and make it available on their website?  Why do changes have to be announced using another channel?

If you do the math from the cabin breakdown, there will be 215 Sanctuary Collection cabins, which means that at double occupancy, there could be as many as 430 passengers in this class.  Doesn't sound so exclusive to me.

• Like 2

12 deluxe balcony, 80 suites & 123 mini suites will be Sanctuary  Collection.
The suites get use of the signature lounge- not bad.

The premier package passengers have SD.- cuts back on those in sanctuary restaurant.

There is also Spell bound & Love by Britto that some Sanctuary guests will pay extra for.

We will try American Diner & O’Malleys  for one lunch or dinner.

I just foresee the disappointment in not getting reservations or having to dine after .8 pm and The crew being flustered by understaffing and demanding passengers.

Oh, and my freebie new all inclusive premier just slipped back to the old premier on the app.
 Who hired these people?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SCX22 said:

What's up with Princess hiding behind a curtain with regards to changes with the Sun Princess?  First it was Park19 and now it's the dining.  Why can't Princess come clean and issue an official statement and make it available on their website?  Why do changes have to be announced using another channel?

If you do the math from the cabin breakdown, there will be 215 Sanctuary Collection cabins, which means that at double occupancy, there could be as many as 430 passengers in this class.  Doesn't sound so exclusive to me.

Princess has been very egalitarian with just about everything being able to be purchased by everyone, independant of cabin type.

Not surprising that in going to a class system it is pretty expansive one.

• Like 1

It will certainly create a lot of confusion, but I'm sure the Americana option did already. It seems like that space tried to recreate the Local/Sheehan's pub on NCL ships, so it's better suited as a smaller space, as on NCL. I'm not happy about the Celebrification of Princess with such moves, where more and more space on Celebrity ships are devoted to Retreat guests, including their own dining rooms and the entire front of the ship, the same as on NCL. It will make me look to HAL more, which doesn't have any significant privileged spaces for suite guests, other than cabanas that don't remove public spaces, particularly at the front of the ship. Having one of three MDRs set aside for sanctuary swells isn't to my liking, just as it wouldn't be if suite/guests took an entire dining room on older ships. Even Royal-class ships feel overcrowded in Alaska, with people crammed inside to escape wind/rain/cold, so Star doesn't really appeal to me, especially if they have 4000+ people and no reservation system for the dome/main theater shows, as NCL and Royal do for their shows on 4000+ ships. A packed buffet with no outside seating likely in Alaska and having crew serve everything to that many people also sounds really stressful--again, no other ship that size has crew serve everything. It seems to me like they're just repeating all the mistakes of NCL Prima/Viva, adding lots more small, interesting venues but shrinking the buffet and increasing privileged spaces, so you have too many people in too small public spaces and people have to wait in long lines far ahead if they want to get in to see a show. 

1 hour ago, rj59 said:

It will certainly create a lot of confusion, but I'm sure the Americana option did already. It seems like that space tried to recreate the Local/Sheehan's pub on NCL ships, so it's better suited as a smaller space, as on NCL. I'm not happy about the Celebrification of Princess with such moves, where more and more space on Celebrity ships are devoted to Retreat guests, including their own dining rooms and the entire front of the ship, the same as on NCL. It will make me look to HAL more, which doesn't have any significant privileged spaces for suite guests, other than cabanas that don't remove public spaces, particularly at the front of the ship. Having one of three MDRs set aside for sanctuary swells isn't to my liking, just as it wouldn't be if suite/guests took an entire dining room on older ships. Even Royal-class ships feel overcrowded in Alaska, with people crammed inside to escape wind/rain/cold, so Star doesn't really appeal to me, especially if they have 4000+ people and no reservation system for the dome/main theater shows, as NCL and Royal do for their shows on 4000+ ships. A packed buffet with no outside seating likely in Alaska and having crew serve everything to that many people also sounds really stressful--again, no other ship that size has crew serve everything. It seems to me like they're just repeating all the mistakes of NCL Prima/Viva, adding lots more small, interesting venues but shrinking the buffet and increasing privileged spaces, so you have too many people in too small public spaces and people have to wait in long lines far ahead if they want to get in to see a show. 

Prior to the change there were 3 main dining rooms 1 on 6, 1 on 7, one on 8. 

After the change there are 3 main dining rooms on 6, 7 and 9.

The specialty dining on 9 is being replaced by one of the mdrs (the walk in fixed menu one that was on 8.

The space on 8 will be the Sanctuary dining room, and their old spaces will hold specialty restaurants.

So basically the space allocated to each function is pretty much the same, just in different locations.

The front space on the upper decks in front of the  dome is public, since the Sanctuary is more to the stern on Sun, unlike regal class.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TRLD said:

Prior to the change there were 3 main dining rooms 1 on 6, 1 on 7, one on 8. 

After the change there are 3 main dining rooms on 6, 7 and 9.

The specialty dining on 9 is being replaced by one of the mdrs (the walk in fixed menu one that was on 8.

The space on 8 will be the Sanctuary dining room, and their old spaces will hold specialty restaurants.

So basically the space allocated to each function is pretty much the same, just in different locations.

The front space on the upper decks in front of the  dome is public, since the Sanctuary is more to the stern on Sun, unlike regal class.

Totally agree

Agree,  there has been no change is 'space'...

The entire Seaview Terrace, up front, above the bow of the ship, is an open, (should be adult only) area.

Moving these venues around has no considerable effect on Space-per-Passenger.

There are two MDRs...  Deck 6 traditional and Deck 7 open seating - Reservations available.

Deck 8 will now be Sanctuary...  But, no loss, as the dining available on Deck 8 has now been moved to the separate areas Aft of the Eatery Buffett.

Not sure I understand moving Crown Grill????  Do they think this will give them more space...  What about the decor?