Jim_Iain - Live from Oceania Regatta - September 14 Vancouver to Los Angeles

Jim_Iain

6 hours ago, SSFrance69 said:

I don't think they served it with a poached egg both times we had it on two different ships. Must just be their way of serving it. That's ok... it was perfect just the way it was. I don't think I've ever had carbonara with a poached egg on top. Now I'm intrigued to try it that way. By the way, if it's something you enjoy, be sure to try the Caesar salad... the one they serve in the GDR was really good. 

You win the Cigar..    I just looked at the menu and as you said it does not say anything about a Poached Egg.    I'm sure one could request one.      It was incredible regardless.

One thing I really enjoy is the portion size it perfect for me.   We only ordered two courses.      We enjoy the smaller partitions but may be something

to keep in mind if others enjoy larger portions.

I'm rather scattered...  Don't remember if I answered the question about the lobster. on Day 1 menu.

It was tasty.   I Loved the Risotto but not fond of the sauce.  They took the tail and made a round basket out of it and then put the claws in the basket.   It was set on top of  the Risotto so easy to eat without the sauce.    As I got to the bottom the sauce was good with the risotto.   The lobster was a bit over cooked but tender.

May try Lobster tonight if they have it at Polo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jim_Iain said:

I'm rather scattered...  Don't remember if I answered the question about the lobster. on Day 1 menu.

It was tasty.   I Loved the Risotto but not fond of the sauce.  They took the tail and made a round basket out of it and then put the claws in the basket.   It was set on top of  the Risotto so easy to eat without the sauce.    As I got to the bottom the sauce was good with the risotto.   The lobster was a bit over cooked but tender.

Switching subjects, and I may have missed this in you review so far, but how has your butler been since he welcomed and led you onboard? Any idea if there are different butlers based on suite class (we are booked in PH2 on Vista)? Just wondering as we have enjoyed butler service on X and have stayed in touch with our favorite one, Walter, who was with us on three different cruises. 

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

We are noticing even in MDR we are usually some of last guest to leave.   Showtime is 9:30

It usually works for us to eat at 7.30, giving us time for a relaxed dinner and still make show time. We came unstuck once on Nautica in one of the specialities where service had been rather slow and we had to make a decision between dessert or show. I lost and we went to see the show. 😀

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jancruz said:

Spoiled I always have the quintet at lease one and the rest of the tie berries for desert..

Jancruz1

I am getting so excited we are leaving next Thursday....this trip we have many friends we have cruised with from the past joining us and looking forward to seeing them all..

Hi to Teresa and of course you..

XXX000

Jancruz1

Wish we could be there but I’ve got a 3 week set of treatments that started yesterday. Otherwise we would have been there.  Enjoy the party. It will be my Bday on the second day of your cruise. Say hi to your mean husband for me. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I have enjoyed carbonara many times in Rome and never had it served with a poached egg on top. Traditional Roman Carbonara is made with egg yokes and parmesan cheese for the sauce and never is any cream added. Too many US Italian restaurants try to pass off Carbonara with a parmesan cream sauce and no egg yokes.

Good to hear.  First time I had it was in Singapore.   After a 20 hour flight and jet lag I was not in the mood for Chines or spicy food. We came across a nice Italian at Intercontinental hotel.  They served it with a poached egg.   Was perfect.  That is when I started searching for a similar recipe.   

I use 4 Egg yolks in the sauce and 2 each poached on top.   Only ingredients for sauce is garlic, Parmesan and the egg yolks. 

The terrible one I had on Celebrity was a cream sauce that then formed a gluten ball with pre cooked noodles. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mhdesno2 said:

Jim, thank you for this beautiful Live Review. It sounds like you and Iain are having a wonderful time and that Oceania is living up to your expectations. I was a little sad to see that Toscana was a desert at dessert time. Also, are the lights in the restaurant really that bright or was it your camera giving that impression? 

It seems every cruise has a particular vibe depending on the passengers on board. Being a US and Canada cruise, with many North American passengers,  partly explains the restaurant being so empty later at night. Also, people on premium/luxury lines tend to be a little older, as we all know here.

Please continue posting your beautiful pictures and your insightful commentaries.

it wasn’t overly bright but was probably true lighting.   It was not subdued lighting.   We actually love it when it is so quiet.    I guess we are weird that way. 

We have noticed a couple families with small children but only maybe three couples.  

The demographic are above 70.   

4 hours ago, cluso said:

Well, no cruise up Tracy Arm.  My husband predicted that earlier this AM after looking at the weather and his navigational maps.  Poor visibility and a narrow fjord.  Safety first.

Plenty of time to go through all the bear pictures from yesterday.  😁

I made the same prediction yesterday.   I’m kinda weather person and constantly checking it.   

Iain is more of the type to just wait and see.  

My only disappointment is, I was going to do a time lapse using my GoPro.   I often do short videos for our Travel With Jim_Iain YouTube channel. 

I’ve been doing some snippets of the evening shows that I might do a video of the stage shows. I try to keep them under a minute.   Also I’m not one of those that drag on with dribble. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Spoiled I always have the quintet at lease one and the rest of the tie berries for desert..

Jancruz1

I am getting so excited we are leaving next Thursday....this trip we have many friends we have cruised with from the past joining us and looking forward to seeing them all..

Hi to Teresa and of course you..

XXX000

Jancruz1

I tried the sampler but will probably choose just one next time.  Some were great others not to my taste.  

54 minutes ago, JDPCruisers said:

Switching subjects, and I may have missed this in you review so far, but how has your butler been since he welcomed and led you onboard? Any idea if there are different butlers based on suite class (we are booked in PH2 on Vista)? Just wondering as we have enjoyed butler service on X and have stayed in touch with our favorite one, Walter, who was with us on three different cruises. 

Our butler is Cavon (pronounced Kevin) has been excellent.    We don’t use a butler much but he is available and does stop to check in with us.  He also drops off afternoon snacks and replaces fruit bowl.  

The butlers also tend to penthouses and by his reference they are usually more demanding than upper suited.  

butler service for all suites available 24 hours a day.  

Afternoon Treats

IMG_5690.thumb.jpeg.780d0af8b51297e745baf131dd5354b6.jpeg

Breakfast room menu

IMG_5589.thumb.jpeg.7c060edf7bcf9b2ff50f5ef43c7cea26.jpeg

IMG_5590.thumb.jpeg.b8376f8a5b8a1b48b35d1f4bed4bf756.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Good to hear.  First time I had it was in Singapore.   After a 20 hour flight and jet lag I was not in the mood for Chines or spicy food. We came across a nice Italian at Intercontinental hotel.  They served it with a poached egg.   Was perfect.  That is when I started searching for a similar recipe.   

I use 4 Egg yolks in the sauce and 2 each poached on top.   Only ingredients for sauce is garlic, Parmesan and the egg yolks. 

The terrible one I had on Celebrity was a cream sauce that then formed a gluten ball with pre cooked noodles. 

Carbonara should have a lot of freshly ground black pepper. That is where the name comes from. I have heard that it was eaten by coal miners. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Our butler is Cavon (pronounced Kevin) has been excellent.    We don’t use a butler much but he is available and does stop to check in with us.  He also drops off afternoon snacks and replaces fruit bowl.  

The butlers also tend to penthouses and by his reference they are usually more demanding than upper suited.  

Afternoon Treats

Breakfast room menu

Thanks, Jim. Good to know. We do like our pre-dinner cocktails and bites as we're getting ready for the evening. We're not room service people, other than a late-night pizza occasionally, as we like to be out and about but may have to have breakfast one morning to try it on Oceania. 

• Like 1

Polo has lobster.  Had lunch today with a couple, husband had lobster there, said it was real nice 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I believe they used tender tickets as Regatta is so small there would not be an area to queue and no way to take someone to front of line.   Stairs are really narrow. 

Here’s the huge crowd for tender tickets 

IMG_5744.thumb.jpeg.41c580dc553d63e0f1ff6c47f1350a75.jpeg

Now Jim, we know that the bulk of the people waiting is in the other direction of that picture. 🤠

On a related topic. I've never had a poached egg on carbonara, but I love the carbonara in Toscana, and I love poached eggs, especially on Eggs Benedict, so I'm pretty sure I'd like it on carbonara. 

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Tonight is Polo -- Now way would we order the 20 Oz -- Maybe 5 ounce.    20 Ounce would server the whole family.    

We were in Florence one evening and this Elderly slim lady dining with her toy boy ate a whole  42-48 Florentine Steak.     I was amazed... then she devoured a desert.   I guess her toy boy was next. 

I ate the whole thing!  20 oz includes the bone.  To be honest, ordered it medium, was brought rare, sent back and then cooked as ordered, just perfect.  Other couple husband ordered rib eye medium well, came out rare also, sent back, then cooked to order.  Jon, rest mgr came over to ask:  were they under or overcooked.  Seemed concerned.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, cluso said:

Jim, how was your 4x4 tour in Sitka?

We had a great adventure with just a total of 10 people.  Loved the bears we saw in the wild, especially the cub chasing birds.

We only had a small sighting.   This was a 4x4 excursion and he told us they scare off the bears. 

IMG_1043.thumb.jpeg.1526811637361968b7d1e4199c6745ce.jpeg

IMG_1037.thumb.jpeg.92a12b1b2f2cc50b9fe9368a013adafa.jpeg

• Like 13

Afternoon Treats

Breakfast room menu

Love the canapes menu.  Surprised breakfast menu same as ours cat C2

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

An alert to those who may consider visiting Canada for any reason. A DUI/DWI charge or conviction can prohibit entry to Canada. Drunk and drug charges are more serious legal events in Canada. I know someone who was denied entry because of this*. If one goes to "canada" dui" "immigration" or other such search terms you will see the result. Think now before you go. 

*He was on the hydrofoil from Seattle to Victoria and they required him to wait in the entry hall for the immediate return trip. The other couple continued their day trip without him and his wife.

and ironically, AA is holding their international convention in Vancouver next January.  I'm sure a lot of people will not be able to attend. 

• Like 1