LCY to LHR

sasset

Taxi's seem to be dicey. They have government fixed fares from LCY to London central. Beyond that they are unregulated on the fare. Can't get a hard number. Never had an Uber experience outside of the U.S.

20 minutes ago, sasset said:

We are currently booked BCN to LHR via LCY (London City Airport) with an overnight layover in London. Looking for a car service from LCY to Sofitel at LHR. Larry's LTC is over $300. Any other suggestions?

Uber, will be approx. 100 pounds, Taxi's are fine, talk to the driver ahead if needed.  I've never ever had an issue with taxi in London and surrounding areas, it's not Rome, LOL

Just choose the most recent same day of the week & time to get a quote.

I live in London and have taken Uber to & from both Heathrow and City. I've never pre booked and never waited more than 3 minutes to get allocated a ride.

My tip would be there is a bit of a shortage of the cheapest Ubers (UberX) right now, with most drivers favouring cars one class up (Comfort). Budget your journey as if you will need to take a Comfort car.

• Like 1

Better off asking here:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/148-british-isleswestern-europe/

Can you manage your luggage? If so, Docklands Lightrail (DLR) to Stratford, transfer to the Elizabeth Line to Heathrow Terminal 5. £13.50, and about an hour and a half. Pay with contactless credit cards or Apple Pay/Google Pay. 

Otherwise, probably Uber. But that trip is too simple by train...

We are flying from BCN to LAX with overnight connection through LCY/LHR. Any recommendation for a car service LCY to LHR? We don't want to mess with luggage on the tube as we would be transiting at peak afternoon travel. Checked with Larry's Limo (LTC) and it's over $300. I can't get an Uber quote online.

12 hours ago, sasset said:

Taxi's seem to be dicey. They have government fixed fares from LCY to London central. Beyond that they are unregulated on the fare. Can't get a hard number. Never had an Uber experience outside of the U.S.

One thing London black cabs are definitely not is dicey. Fares are metered, set by Transport for London and the drivers are probably the best trained in the world as they all have to pass the notoriously difficult “Knowledge” test of London’s roads. Consequently they always know the best and quickest route, and are allowed to use bus lanes which can help cut out delays.

Right now, in the middle of the morning rush hour, Uber are quoting £77 ($100) if that helps. So “Larry’s Limo” (never heard of them) are ripping you off.

If you are travelling in the afternoon peak then traffic will be awful.  Set your expectation accordingly.

By way of context, although LCY is the airport of the cash-rich/time-poor traveller, most passengers do not use road transport at this airport.  Over two thirds of LCY passengers use the DLR to get into London - because it is so much quicker.  Using DLR to Stratford then Liz line will be no hassle, both trains have level boarding and there are lifts/escalators so you won't be dragging bags up stairs.

• Like 3

I understood the Black Taxis are only regulated into London. Going on to LHR the fare isn’t regulated. Is that incorrect?

I only meant dicey as to fare to LHR.

Edited by sasset
Additional

15 minutes ago, sasset said:

I understood the Black Taxis are only regulated into London. Going on to LHR the fare isn’t regulated. Is that incorrect?

That is incorrect. Heathrow is within the Transport for London area, so the journey from LCY to LHR is entirely regulated.

However, if the DLR --> Elizabeth Line route via Stratford doesn't appeal, I have heard it suggested that the best way from LCY to LHR is really via AMS.

• Haha 1

Thanks. I wasn't thinking airports. We are already ticketed (on miles) on AA operated by BA. The routing is BCN LCY LHR LAX. Since it was a miles sale changing now is 200K more miles each. Didn't notice the LCY factor when we ticketed. I think we'll stay with a taxi. Thanks for your information.

Back to the OP:

I'd suggest looking at these links, especially the bottom two (with pictures). Neither DLR nor the Elizabeth Line look like the Tube. The Elizabeth Line is a major East-West transportation system that also connects to Heathrow. The cars are larger, climate controlled (air conditioned when it's hot out), and generally very comfortable. If you've got a typical rolling checked bag, roll aboard, and personal item that you can handle in an airport, you're going to be fine with the DLR to Elizabeth Line journey. The train may well get busy passing through Zone 1, but you'll already be on board. The only negative is there's no dedicated luggage storage, but the aisles are significantly wider than standard Tube cars, and you won't be the only one traveling with bags. You also won't be stuck in traffic on the meter in a cab.

If you're traveling with two checked bags each, you may be stuck with a cab or Uber, or a pre-booked "mini cab". But otherwise the train is going to be fine.

https://tfl.gov.uk/

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/taxis-and-minicabs/

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/dlr/

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/elizabeth-line/