Tiles

anley

After our second Hal voyage we received two Noordam tiles . What is the best thing to do with them?

No Jokes Please

Thank you very much,

Stan:cool::cool:

We use ours as coasters. Others put them on small stands and display them. Some on the board have collected them long enough to have quite a supply, and have actually mounted them in their kitchens as part of the tilework. They also sell well on ebay.

After our second Hal voyage we received two Noordam tiles . What is the best thing to do with them?

No Jokes Please

Thank you very much,

We had a discussion about this a few months ago, and some folks are pretty creative. It seems that many use them for coasters, some just display them, and (an idea I plan to use) someone had enough to line the back of a display cabinet....

Right now I use them as coasters. However, one day when I'm going to re-do my bathroom, I plan to insert the tiles as a border around my bathtub. Some people may think it's tacky, but I will enjoy looking at them and remembering great cruises as I am soaking in the tub.

I always give them to my mother - after all, she's Dutch. :) I'm not sure where she puts them, they certainly aren't displayed anywhere.

Before anyone asks, no, I don't give her the hat, I leave that at the table. She has a real, authentic one that looks much better.

No Jokes Please

Thank you very much,

Hi Anley,

Going on the Noordam on October 14th So. Caribbean Cruise.

Have collected Tiles from other cruises in the past of other HAL Ships.

Question: Is the tiles the you received from the Noordam imaging the new one now commissioned that you traveled on?

I would be happy to receive them, especially since this is her first year of service on the open seas.

Can't wait to experience the thrills you did!

Regards,

:) ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

I LOVE my Hal tiles -I have a casement window above the sink in my kitchen that faces north; I don't wish to put curtains there to block ANY natural light. When I had enough tiles [ what BETTER reason to cruise????] I put stick-em squares on the backs and lines them up above the window LIKE a "topper" . The two sides are quite large [ from the 2002 Pacific Rim cruise] and the recent "Amsterdam" tile for that cruise into the Pacific -was a double -so I placed that one over two tiles in the very middle. I used 11 tiles in all -the only duplicates were each side!

Another Dutchman (woman)! Very cool! :)

I'm curious: Are you Dutch or are you American with Dutch ancestors? I ask because you give your location as L.A. County, Southern California. My mother actually IS Dutch (as in having a Dutch passport). :)

I'm curious: Are you Dutch or are you American with Dutch ancestors? I ask because you give your location as L.A. County, Southern California. My mother actually IS Dutch (as in having a Dutch passport). :)

I was born Dutch (from Amsterdam), went to school there and immigrated to the US at age 18 and eventually became a US citizen and stayed here. Will never forget my roots though! Hoe gaat het er mee?;)

Hi Anley,

Going on the Noordam on October 14th So. Caribbean Cruise.

Have collected Tiles from other cruises in the past of other HAL Ships.

Question: Is the tiles the you received from the Noordam imaging the new one now commissioned that you traveled on?

I would be happy to receive them, especially since this is her first year of service on the open seas.

Can't wait to experience the thrills you did!

Regards,

:) ESLO

Ed & Bev)

Maybe. I don't think anyone can tell you for certain. What they are giving out today, may not be what you receive in Oct.

Hi Eslo,

The tiles we received on the New Noordam III have the image of Noordam IV launched 1984 on them . I will just have to cruise on a different ship each time to get the full set.

Have a wonderful cruise , it's a beautiful ship.

Anley:cool::cool:

Our HAL tiles are lined up on the shelves of a tall hutch in our dining room. They are keeping company with a couple of blue and white mugs we bought in Amsterdam. We keep a decorative plate from the Westerdam inaugural there too. We give all that HAL paraphernalia a little wink and a little wave as we pass by. Only a fellow HAL fan could understand.

:D

These tile thingy's are kinda corny and cute all at the same time. As a 1st-time HAL cruiser (nov/06) I wasn't aware of this practice. I just checked a few out on E-Bay to get an idea of what they looked like. Question...Does everybody get one of these things at the end of the cruise?

On the maiden voyage of the Noordam IV, we were given tiles of the ms Noordam III-1984. Not too sure why that was, but probably was due to a delayed shipment of the ones which would be correct for the new Noordam. Maybe someone who has been on the ship more recently than the February 22 sailing will report receiving the appropriate tile.

Enjoy your cruise,

Elaine

On the maiden voyage of the Noordam IV, we were given tiles of the ms Noordam III-1984. Not too sure why that was, but probably was due to a delayed shipment of the ones which would be correct for the new Noordam. Maybe someone who has been on the ship more recently than the February 22 sailing will report receiving the appropriate tile.

Enjoy your cruise,

Elaine

Can't answer the Noordam tile question 'cause I haven't been on her (yet). There is no real rhyme or reason as far as what tile you'll be getting on any Dam ship except that it will have the name of that ship on it. It might be any ship that carries or has carried that name i.e. if you're on the Ryndam, you will get a tile with the likeness of either the Ryndam I, II or III. Having said that, there have also been several tiles given out with a "typical Dutch scene" i.e. a windmill, couple in traditional Dutch costume, etc. They will also have the ship's name on the top :) Allthough not "Delft's Blue" they are a nice gesture on HAL's part and fun to collect IMHO

25955670_HALtile2.jpg.49ab5c565736e2ab1802eb01b572e77b.jpg

I agree with you Copper 10-8. It is very nice of Holland America to provide the pillow gifts- the tiles, etc. They make the cruise that much more special somehow. I hope that HAL doesn't ever discontinue the nice traditions that do make us all enjoy coming back repeatedly. I have the tiles all lined up along the cornice in the kitchen and have space enough that I could keep adding for many years--- God willing!

In my prior reply I was specifically responding to Eslo's question about which tiles were being given out on the Noordam IV, but I realize that I dropped her name off the quote in my reply to her question which I quoted and that made my reply a little confusing.

As a member of the Holland America Line Mariner Society, you will receive a collectable tegel (Dutch word for "tile") on each Holland America cruise beginning with your second cruise. The master craftsmen of Royal Goedewaagen, Holland - producers of authentic Delftware since 1610 - have created these tiles for Holland America Line. Each year, the master decorators create new designs for the tiles, which become part of a series of collector's items available only to guests of Holland America Line. We do not sell the Mariner Society tiles. They are given to our Mariner Society members during their second cruise and all subsequent cruises.

We are planning to resurface our bar in the game room with all our tiles. The original tiles were thicker so we will have to use ectra grout to make everything even.

On our recent Amsterdam cruise the tiles showed Amsterdam II.

We have some with the Dutch people pn them as well.

If you go to the HAL web-site, click on the Mariner link and on that page, you'll see "Tiles" on the left. Here you'll find all the tiles, pictured, year by year. The only thing is, they don't show 2006, yet.:confused:

We had a discussion about this a few months ago, and some folks are pretty creative. It seems that many use them for coasters, some just display them, and (an idea I plan to use) someone had enough to line the back of a display cabinet....

Thank you,:) I hope your cabinet looks as good as mine does! I put a light in the cabinet and filled it with delftware, too.:)

Linda

Hubby had a great idea for the tiles..he's going to build some "nesting" or stack tables for the patio/sunroom - and then we will set them within the wood frame top and have ceramic table tops - possible go with a border of while tiles and inset 4 in the center per table.....

Now I just gotta cruise those "dam" ships more often!!!

CJcruzer

Archived