Vibrations on Coral Princess

Tide Pride

We just completed our first Princess cruise on the Coral Princess. We were on the Caribe deck a few doors from the stern on the ship.

Let me say our cruise was fantastic so I am not here to stir the pot at all.

My question is that our room had vibration continuously. This went on day and night whether the ship was moving or docked. It was worse while underway.

I found the vibration to be distracting, but DW hated it. Everytime she laid down in the bed she complained.

Has anyone else had the problem on the Coral ?

This was the first time we had a room so near the stern of the ship so I was wondering if this was a problem on all cruise ships ?

Thanks for any input.

I think that vibration is an issue in the aft of most ships... we certainly felt it when we were in an aft cabin on the Enchantment of the Seas last year..personally it doesn't bother me, but if movement is an issue, then you are better off near the center.

Our friends were on Baja deck near the stern of the Coral and experienced the same thing that you did. There was a constant vibration. I'm not sure if they ever got used to it but it didn't really spoil an otherwise perfect trip.

We had friends on our April 13 cruise on the Dolphin deck more toward the bow of the ship and they never felt anything.

It was quite noticeable where we were in C 716 and never having had a stern cabin I did not know if this was peculiar to the Coral or all cruise ships.

Regards,

Ben

I find that constant vibration at the stern on all the Princess ships I have been on. It would bother me, so I always book mid to foreward cabins. The foreward cabins have more up/down, side to side movement, which I can handle, but none of that vibration, which drives me crazy.

It's too bad for me because there are often really nice decks at the stern, especially on the Coral. I envy those people who can tolerate the vibration, and many people can.

We were in D716 (Coral 9/05) and had the vibration. It bothered DH more than me, but did disrupt our sleep a couple of nights. We are booked for a near aft on the CB next 9/30 and were hoping this would not be an issue for this ship, but looks like it may be. I like the rocking much better than the vibration. :(

What cabin are you in on the CB? We were in E727, and there was definitely vibration there.

We were in D716 (Coral 9/05) and had the vibration. It bothered DH more than me, but did disrupt our sleep a couple of nights. We are booked for a near aft on the CB next 9/30 and were hoping this would not be an issue for this ship, but looks like it may be. I like the rocking much better than the vibration. :(

Damn near impossible to dampen all the vibration on a ship that has propellor shafts and props.

The podded propulsion system used on some ships (but not Princess) eliminates most of that vibration, but the pods have their own set of problems (weak thrust bearings).

What cabin are you in on the CB? We were in E727, and there was definitely vibration there.

E731 :rolleyes:

As on most ships there is some vibration off and on near the aft section.

We have been on the Celebrity Millennium and the Mariner of the Seas - direct aft and have not had vibration unless we are backing in to port.

We had D501 & D503 (if I remember correctly) on the Coral and never noticed a thing.

Our tablemates had cabins on the Dolphin Deck in the low 200's and really felt A LOT of movement in 3 foot seas. We were mid-ship and didn't feel a thing on that same night.

When the seas were basically flat the rest of the time, they still felt a lot of movement. They didn't mention vibration, but said the ship was "really moving", to which we couldn't help but suppress a laugh. :rolleyes:

I'm told the aft movement (not vibration) your friends felt is due to rudder design of the Coral and Island Princess.

The two both have had some modifications done to the rudders to reduce the movement (some describe as "waddle").

The two are the only ships that Princess ordered from Chantiers; most of their orders have been from Fincantieri; Sapphire & Diamond from Mitsubishi.

The Pacific, Tahitian, and soon to be Royal Princess were also built by Chantiers, but Princess acquired those second hand.

We are booked in D715 on the Coral in December. My DH is a very light sleeper and complains at the slightest noise. Do you think I need to change our cabin to one more forward? Those things don't bother me; I can sleep through most anything. :D

E731 :rolleyes:

We have been on the Celebrity Millennium and the Mariner of the Seas - direct aft and have not had vibration unless we are backing in to port.

We were in D733 (directly above E731) on the CB in January. There was definite vibration when the aft thrusters were in use which is pretty much only during docking and departing. I wouldn't say there was vibration as such otherwise, it was more a low rumbling sensation from the engines. It is kind of hard to describe! I am not a deep sleeper but it didn't bother me. We actually didn't notice a lot of difference between our cabin on deck 9 and the Cafe Caribe 6 decks up!

I'm not surprised you didn't notice anything on the Millennium as this is a GTV (Gas Turbine Vessel). We were on the Radiance of the Seas (also a GTV) and it is amazing how quiet they are in comparison to the diesel engines!

The vibration doesn't bother me as long as I'm not sleeping, so the docking/departing isn't a big deal.

The vibration we felt was annoying because the TV, glasses, cabinets, hangers in the closet, etc. jiggled. If you are a lite sleeper, I would move to mid ship. We sleep with a sound machine and even that didn't drown the noise out completely, but sure helped. The bed also shook, and that's what was more disturbing to us. But as I said, we got use to it and hope it is not any worse on the CB.

We just completed our first Princess cruise on the Coral Princess. We were on the Caribe deck a few doors from the stern on the ship.

Let me say our cruise was fantastic so I am not here to stir the pot at all.

My question is that our room had vibration continuously. This went on day and night whether the ship was moving or docked. It was worse while underway.

I found the vibration to be distracting, but DW hated it. Everytime she laid down in the bed she complained.

Has anyone else had the problem on the Coral ?

This was the first time we had a room so near the stern of the ship so I was wondering if this was a problem on all cruise ships ?

Thanks for any input.

We felt it also - stern of Sun Princess in a balcony cabin. We won't book at stern again. That said, still an awesome cruise.

[quote=

I'm not surprised you didn't notice anything on the Millennium as this is a GTV (Gas Turbine Vessel). We were on the Radiance of the Seas (also a GTV) and it is amazing how quiet they are in comparison to the diesel engines!

We were just on the Radiance and were in the family suite on deck 7 at the rear of the ship. The only time we felt any vibration was when it was sailing at full speed from Miami to Puerto Rico. After that he was going a bit slower and we didn't feel much of anything. Just heard a humming at night that put me to sleep. Didn't bother DH too much either.

We were on Coral's third sailing a few years ago. I reported the vibration in my review at that time but from the description it sounds like they dampened it somewhat. I suspect they installed some vibration dampeners but they cannot get rid of it all.

We are on the Coral in two weeks. Cabin D630 is between midship and stern. Has anyone had excessive vibrations at that location?

We have booked aft balconies before and didn't think the vibration was any thing that bothered us - maybe it's a trade off for the fantastic view!

We were in the 500's (A deck) on the Coral and had no problems. Our friends were in the 700's (B deck) very near the back of the ship and they commented on the constant vibration. I think that the 600's should be fine unless you are really sensitive to motion.

Archived