QE2 best C5 cabin???

SakeDad

I've stayed in three different C5 cabins:

2026 - two deck (which is quite a handy location) but right up near the bow (or so it seemed) so any pitching more noticeable. Also possible that the porthole will be closed off in inclement weather. Rather small and box-shaped at only 103 sq feet. Only one wardrobe. Not good for long trips!

3181 - three deck - right at the back. Noise and vibration from the props more noticeable in this one which could be a problem for some, but it was MUCH bigger (187 sq feet) with plenty of storage space. Oh and very handy for the launderette - particularly when it came to beating the early morning washday mafia in the scramble for those precious washers and dryers!

2181 Two deck - quite near the back (very handy for the Pavilion and Lido) The best C5 cabin I've stayed in with by far the best location. Reasonably sized at 148 sq feet and it just had a nice feel about it. You always felt like you were near the action. Didn't notice much in the way of noise and vibration. Another plus point is that there's no interconnecting door.

Hope that helps.

Tim.

I've stayed in three different C5 cabins:

2181 Two deck - quite near the back (very handy for the Pavilion and Lido) The best C5 cabin I've stayed in with by far the best location. Reasonably sized at 148 sq feet and it just had a nice feel about it. You always felt like you were near the action. Didn't notice much in the way of noise and vibration. Another plus point is that there's no interconnecting door.

Hope that helps.

Tim.

Ooops - I really should check before submitting! should read cabin number 2128 - not 2181!

C5's vary greatly in size... some are 103 sqft, some 121, 145, 158, 163, 170.

Your best bet is find out which ones are actually available on your particularly sailing, and then go from there.

As I already said in your other thread... I prefer the ones amidships on Four Deck. The ones on Two and Three Decks can be somewhat more convenient (especially the aft ones), however they are all either at the very bow or very stern of the ship which makes them less comfortable in heavy weather and also these tend to be smaller.

As for forward or aft cabins on Four Deck, these really have no point to them as if you are going to be on Four Deck you might as well at least be amidships.

Now, by "amidships on Four Deck" I mean the C5 cabins with numbers between 4141 and 4177. All these cabins are between 201 and 210 sq ft - the largest in the category except for a couple of very slightly larger cabins in poor locations - and personally I consider them quite well located. You are right near the E staircase which offers access to all decks (except Six and Seven Decks where the spa, gym, indoor pool and the hospital are located) and are amidships and low down which is great for bad weather. (In your case, you will more than likely encounter some heavy seas in the Bay of Biscay.)

As for specific cabins, first choice would be 4141 or 4142 if one of those is available. These are particularly nice as they have a sitting area with a sofa, but without the odd layout of 4143 and 4144 (see below).

I also like 4143 and 4144 a lot, personally they would be my second choices for C5 cabins. Some people like them even more than 4141/4142 because in these cabins the sitting area is "separate" from the sleeping, down a long corridor lined with closets. Others do not like this at all, because by dividing the cabin into two parts, some people find the result rather claustrophobic. Also, the porthole is in the sitting area which means you can't lie in bed and look out the porthole. So these two are rather controversial cabins though as I said, I like them a lot (I occupied 4143 this past January).

The other advantage of cabins 4141 through 4144 is that unlike the other midships four deck C5 cabins, they are not connecting cabins; this gives you slightly better sound insulation (though it is not great in any of these cabins).

The other C5s in this area, 4145 through 4177, are also very nice cabins. Their disadvantages are that they do not have a sofa (just armchairs), and they are connecting cabins. On the other hand, some people may still prefer them to 4143/4144 because like 4141/4142 they are one large, open cabin rather than a separate sitting and sleeping area and thus feel more spacious. So while they would be my third choice, many others would consider them as a second choice after 4141/4122.

Hope that helps. All this makes a lot more sense if you are looking at an original deck plan (not the current one, but one of the type used until the early '80s, which showed the exact layout and furniture positioning in each cabin) but without a scan of one easily accessible, the best I can do is try to describe the layouts to you.

• 1 month later...

Doug thanks so much for the great explanation. I have one lil question though....are the only windows in the C5 category portholes?

We're semi set for Nov in the Med but am very concerned I'll feel "trapped" if all the daylight I get is via a small port.

Are the only windows in the C5 category portholes?

We're semi set for Nov in the Med but am very concerned I'll feel "trapped" if all the daylight I get is via a small port.

There aren't many cabins on the QE2 that don't have portholes (except the internal cabins) - you only get windows in some QG cabins and some PG cabins have larger portholes. I've never thought of the cabins as dark (even the internal ones) but you will need a cabin light on when you're in the cabin.

I have one lil question though....are the only windows in the C5 category portholes?

Yes. As they are all either on Four or Five Deck, or far forward or aft on One through Three Decks, they all have one smallish porthole.

I wouldn't call them dark, but do not choose 4143 or 4144 where the sitting area is bright but the rest of the cabin is basically just like an inside.

Guess I have to look for a different cat cabin. 18 days w/o a window other than a smallish port just won't do.

If you want a window then you're looking at either Q1 or Q2 (or 8183, a Q3) on Signal and Sun Decks. I'm not sure what 8201 to 8210 (Q3's and QG's) or 8200 (QS) on boat deck have. The Q3's on one and two deck have large portholes (they're not quite portholes, but they're not windows either) but they don't provide enough light for you not to need the cabin lights on.

We were in a P1 (2102) in May. We had two large portholes, but still needed the lights when we were in the cabin.

oh Dear I was hoping the P category was going to do :( we're looking at a rather extensive trip B1 on QM2 for a TA , then 18 days on QE then 16 on Celebrity CC cruise/TA. This middle section is the one giving me worries....and the reason I havent fully booked yet.

oh Dear I was hoping the P category was going to do :( we're looking at a rather extensive trip B1 on QM2 for a TA , then 18 days on QE then 16 on Celebrity CC cruise/TA. This middle section is the one giving me worries....and the reason I havent fully booked yet.

Well, it is going to be difficult at best since you are comparing a 1960's ocean liner with two newly designed vessels.

If you want a window then you're looking at either Q1 or Q2 (or 8183, a Q3) on Signal and Sun Decks. I'm not sure what 8201 to 8210 (Q3's and QG's) or 8200 (QS) on boat deck have. The Q3's on one and two deck have large portholes (they're not quite portholes, but they're not windows either) but they don't provide enough light for you not to need the cabin lights on.

We were in a P1 (2102) in May. We had two large portholes, but still needed the lights when we were in the cabin.

There are also two suites (Aquitania and Carinthia) on deck 2.

I think the boat deck cabins have windows - but these look over the boat deck and therefore might limit privacy.

There are also two suites (Aquitania and Carinthia) on deck 2.

I'd rather assumed that because they were in the hull of the ship they'd have portholes - but I couldn't say for sure.

I'd rather assumed that because they were in the hull of the ship they'd have portholes - but I couldn't say for sure.

They have full height windows. Look at the picture of the ship below and midships deck 2 you can see the suites, just forward of the tender.

100_0168.jpg

They have full height windows. Look at the picture of the ship below and midships deck 2 you can see the suites, just forward of the tender.

I'd always assumed that the ship was symmetrical - those windows aren't there on the port side. Were they always there or were the added when the baggage stores were removed?

As there appear to be several configurations to the C5 cabins on the QE2...........

Your not kidding. Its the only ship left where you actually need a road map (aka a set of deck plans), discussions with several old timers and several hours of your time to figure out the complexities of the layout and which room would be ideal enough for your to book - in all categories. It was an amazing adventure planning for my August 2007 cruise.

With the QE2, when someone wishes you good luck on your cruise, they really refer to picking out your accomodations.:D

To the woman who is concerned about natural lighting in the cabin. I hope you can find a good compromise. Its been mentioned this is a ship of the 60s and hence why it's been called both a classic and a dinosaur. I hate to see you not book the QE2 because of the window/porthole issue. I sort of know what you mean as I have yet to tell my partner that our cabin is just going to having a small porthole especially since we'll be doing the QM2 this year - and in a balcony to boot. At least I'm aware of what I'm getting ourselves into.

I'd always assumed that the ship was symmetrical - those windows aren't there on the port side. Were they always there or were the added when the baggage stores were removed?

Off the top of my head I can't tell you when they were added, but added they were.

Nelson Mandela has occupied one. I can't recall which.

I'd always assumed that the ship was symmetrical

I think the biggest difference in window layout port/starboard was there in 1969, the Grill Room windows, Quarter Deck, Port side were not matched on the starboard side (there was a series of portholes here). 9 large windows have since been added on the starboard side (they now light the Britannia Grill of course). If I'm wrong, someone tell me!

I think that the Princess Grill Starboard (as the Britannia Grill was originally called) was created in '90. It bacame the Britannia grill in '94. My question is,

This area was part of the quarter deck galley in '69. In '90 it became a grill resturant. In the period between, was this area part of the Columbia Resturant? (in the early 80's for example).

Please excuse my ignorance, I didn't see this area back then.

This area was part of the quarter deck galley in '69. In '90 it became a grill restaurant. In the period between, was this area part of the Columbia Restaurant? (in the early 80's for example).

Please excuse my ignorance, I didn't see this area back then.

My first time onboard was in 1992 so I don't know what the Columbia was like before that. However my recollection, from seeing photographs from the 70's, is that the Columbia was one of the rooms that hadn't been changed. Why do you think that the galley became something else before it became the PGS?

My first time onboard was in 1992 so I don't know what the Columbia was like before that. However my recollection, from seeing photographs from the 70's, is that the Columbia was one of the rooms that hadn't been changed. Why do you think that the galley became something else before it became the PGS?

Hi pnhmrk

I also didn't believe that the Columbia Resturant had been altered (floor area). However because I have deck plans from 1982 that show the area (now known as Britannia Grill) being part of the Columbie Resturant I asked the question if anyone knew the history of this area from it's beginnings as a galley 1969 to the arrival of Princess Grill Starboard in 1990. I used to think that it was an error in the 1982 plans and this area was never part of the Columba Resturant.

But....

The 9 large windows (that light the starboard grill room) are there in photographs taken in the early 80's, indicating to me that it had stopped being a crew area (galley) with portholes by then and was a public room. But what? Hence my question, does anyone know the history of this area of the ship? Was it part of the main resturant or a separate bar/something else area?

Hope you can help pnhmrk.

Many thanks for your message and very best wishes,

But....

The 9 large windows (that light the starboard grill room) are there in photographs taken in the early 80's, indicating to me that it had stopped being a crew area (galley) with portholes by then and was a public room. But what? Hence my question, does anyone know the history of this area of the ship? Was it part of the main resturant or a separate bar/something else area?

To my knowledge the area became part of the Columbia Restaurant in 1972. It remained to be this until the conversion into Princess Grill Starboard in 1990 and became Britannia Grill in 1994.

I wonder if that area wasn't a kind of annex that meant it could be used as part of the main restaurant but wasn't taken into the restaurant proper as far as the decorations?

Carlmm - did you eat in the Columbia between 1972 and 1990? I don't suppose that you have any pictures of what it was like?

Archived