You Just Won A Million Dollars

kakalina

One advantage of getting older is you need to win less in the lottery. Once upon a time the pot had to be 5M to make me comfortable; now I do believe the 1M is sufficient.

But, first things first: let's check with the financial advisor when my numbers come in.

Then invest it in such a way that the income, combined with my pension, lets me keep my current lifestyle with the addition of more cruising. My favorite charity would see an increase in my annual donation. The grandgirls would be confident that college is paid. Then! :)

Maybe I could book a better cabin catagory? Outside instead of inside, maybe? And no more guaranteed shares on the longer cruises. :D

Dream on, RuthC. Dream on.

jeesh!!

By the time Uncle Sam gets done with it there will be NO need to go to a lawyer or start any trust funds.

Exactly. I was gonna say almost the same thing ... plus the fact that by the time you actually got the net check, your million would be down to around $500,000. That's really not a whole lot of money to play with. Of course, by the time you set up college funds for the kids in the family ... maybe paid off your own debts ... there might be some left for a few nice long cruises.

As for quitting the job ... I don't know. Work is so ingrained in most people that after a few months off, I have a feeling most of us would be kicking ourselves for making such a rash move.

If I won that kind of money, I'd probably put some in the college funds of each of my great nieces and nephews (five total) ... pay off my own debts ... and then see how quickly I could arrange a three-month leave of absence from my job so that I could take one of those "Grand Voyages" HAL is doing next year. I'd be leaning toward the European one ... 50+ days.

Blue skies ...

--rita

As for quitting the job ... I don't know. Work is so ingrained in most people that after a few months off, I have a feeling most of us would be kicking ourselves for making such a rash move.

You might be surprised. After my heart attack I decided that life is short and I wanted to enjoy whatever I have left of it. Whether or not I have enough money didn't enter into it.

Haven't regretted it for one single second. What will be, will be.

After I buy the condo, and after I make sure my son has a comfortable amount, I think I would rent a permanent verandah cabin on HAL & sail off into the sunset until the time to be formally buried at sea.;)

You might be surprised. After my heart attack I decided that life is short and I wanted to enjoy whatever I have left of it. Whether or not I have enough money didn't enter into it.

Haven't regretted it for one single second. What will be, will be.

RuthC-

I tell you, it's been 6 years and counting since my Congestive Heart Failure and open heart surgery. I like you feel the same way, I will enjoy the life I have left, and cruise as much as I can, while watching my boys grow up!!:)

My outlook on life is so different now, I wake knowing every day is a blessing! Indeed what will be, will be, and I, like you am gonna go out saying, dang that was one heck of a ride!:D

with emphasis on the remote, unspoiled places.

I would definitely try to wrangle an invitation to Antarctica's McMurdoe Station and a meeting with His Holiness the Dalai Lama at Dharmasala. I'd also want to see Angkor Wat, the sunken churches in Ethiopia and the North and South poles.

I wouldn't be ME if I were not serving in the pastorate ... somewhere. So, I can't quit the ministry. And, besides, a million dollars isn't THAT much money anymore.

However ... if I were to win or be giving a million dollars I would pay the taxes off the top and take the remainder to an investment firm, minus about $100,000 for a world cruise to celebrate and to pay me for a 1 year sabbatical leave. Then, back to the pulpit until I hit retirement. Meanwhile, I can cruise wherever I want to go without having to worry about the cost. In other words ... no more inside cabins.

If I won a huge amount of money -- several dozen million or more -- I don't know what I'd do. However, I just couldn't see myself quitting the ministry.

If I won a huge amount of money -- several dozen million or more -- I don't know what I'd do. However, I just couldn't see myself quitting the ministry.

That's because your's is not a job ... it's a calling. There's a big difference.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived