What is a must See for Seattle?

We will arrive around noon in Seattle half day to sight see, can get off and on double bus have tickets. Will have half day at return what to see in that time.

Thanks for input first trip to Seattle. jslightning:confused:

I agree with Belle, those are the MUST DO things if you have half a day.

Just remember if you are flying out of Sea-Tac, that it is about 15 miles South of downtown.

Space Needle/Seattle Center

Pike's Place Market (think fish throwing and original starbucks)

When I visit my daughter in Seattle we always go to Kerry Park in the Queen Anne neighborhood. The view of the Space Needle and Seattle skyline is spectacular!! Seattle is one of my favorite cities. The people are very nice, too.

Sandy

jslightning,

Thanks for starting this thread as we will have a full day in Seattle when we visit it on the Veendam in September. I was wondering what were the main sights to see when we are there.

Jennie

jslightning,

Thanks for starting this thread as we will have a full day in Seattle when we visit it on the Veendam in September. I was wondering what were the main sights to see when we are there.

Jennie

Jennie and Jslightning (and any other visitors to Seattle):

Here are a few links that might be helpful.

http://www.portseattle.org/seaport/cruise/

http://www.seeseattle.org/visitors/

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=52

http://graylineseattle.com/cruiseexpress1.cfm

Jennie:

My mother's sister lives in Adelaide, and we have cousins in both Adelaide and Sydney. When I flew for Pan Am, we had very brief stops in Melbourne. Beautiful part of the world! If I can be helpful in any way while you are here, please let me know. We like Aussies:)

Karin (aka middle-aged mom)

Karin,

Thanks for those links. I will enjoy reading them all. We have from 8am to 5pm in port so we should see quite a bit.

As you know we are in the middle of both of the cities that your cousins live in. Adelaide is quiet and laid back whereas Sydney is all go, go, go and we are just the most liveable city on earth, though we lost it last year to Vancouver!

We are looking forward to visiting Seattle. My sister has been to your city and says that it reminds her of here so I am really interested in seeing all the sights.

Jennie

Karin,

I do have a question for you. I believe that we will be berthed at Pier 30. How far is the pier from the main area of Seattle. We are thinking of doing a tour of Seattle for a couple of hours and need to get into the centre of the city to pick up the bus. Is it walkable and how far away would the centre be from the pier?

Jennie

Karin,

I do have a question for you. I believe that we will be berthed at Pier 30. How far is the pier from the main area of Seattle. We are thinking of doing a tour of Seattle for a couple of hours and need to get into the centre of the city to pick up the bus. Is it walkable and how far away would the centre be from the pier?

Jennie

Good morning,Jennie; it is now probably bed-time for you in Melbourne!

Yes, the HAL ships berth at terminal 30. It is just south of downtown Seattle. It is located in the industrial, working port area. You could not walk to downtown from there. It's about a 10-15 minute ride, depending on traffic and where you want to go.

Glad the links I posted can be of help.:)

Karin

A trip to the Rocky Mountain Chocolate factory is a must. Although they seem to be popping up all over the country the Seattle one has the best gourmet dipped apples I have ever tasted. We also enjoyed walking around Pioneer Square.

I think it is a blast to "Ride the Ducks" in Seattle. You board the "Duck" close to the Seattle Center and they give you a tour of downtown Seattle along with a water tour. The vehicle can go on land and in water - great fun!

We did a Duck Tour in Boston and I don't think I would risk another one. Our Duck broke down whilst in the water and we wasted over an hour while we had to wait to be winched out. It was quite frustrating!

I know they are fun but don't want to risk another breakdown.

Jennie

Seattle is a unique city and I certainly would start my sightseeing at Pike Place Market, then walk down the stairs to Alaskan Way and see the attractions, restaurants, boats, ferries and shops along the Puget Sound waterfront. Have a wonderful seafood lunch while you're at it. Then I'd take the trolley to Pioneer Square and the Space Needle. If you only had a few hours or 1/2 day you'd get a real feel for the city.

With a little more time I'd take the ferry over to Bainbridge just to see the islands and skyline of Seattle from the water.

And speaking of seafood, if you like crab, be sure to have some fresh Dungeness crab. Getting it fresh makes a HUGE difference in taste. Once you have had it fresh, the frozen stuff doesn't taste nearly as good.

I agree with all of the above. Also, lunch at Palisades at the Elliott bay marina also has a great view of downtown plus outstanding NW style cuisine. A trip to Fremont just slightly north of downtown is a great area with shops, restaurants and bars but the real attraction is the TROLL under the bridge. This was crafted by an artist and is worth the trip. I really don't want to spoil the trip and give too much information here. Very unique and great fun. I love living in this city. Have a great time and I hope the suns out for your visit which really makes this city shine. Make sure to look south for a great view of Mt Rainier and west for a view of the Puget Sound and the Olympic Mts. Happy travels. Wendy

Space Needle/Seattle Center

Pike's Place Market (think fish throwing and original starbucks)

No no no!!!! I respectfully disagree. What hardly any tourist knows about is West Seattle, very short cab drive or you can take the Elliott Bay Water Taxi. There is a beach walk, very great ocean side restaurants, a beautiful park, and view of puget sound, the seattle skyline and the Olympic Mountains that are unparalleled. Hardly anyone who is not from Seattle knows about West Seattle. A day there is worth it. Feel free to email me for more info. And enjoy my Emerald City!

1. The futuristic, minimalist downtown library - an architectural wonder that cannot be described - just see it!

2. The Experience Music Project - Frank Gehry designed this incredible building that defies many canons.

3. Copacabana Cafe at Pike Place Market - delicious, affordable Bolivian food. Sit on their terrace and you can smell the fresh flowers in the stalls across the street.

Frankly, other than Copacabana Cafe, I think Pike Place Market is very touristy and overall, avoidable.

No no no!!!! I respectfully disagree. What hardly any tourist knows about is West Seattle, very short cab drive or you can take the Elliott Bay Water Taxi. There is a beach walk, very great ocean side restaurants, a beautiful park, and view of puget sound, the seattle skyline and the Olympic Mountains that are unparalleled. Hardly anyone who is not from Seattle knows about West Seattle. A day there is worth it. Feel free to email me for more info. And enjoy my Emerald City!

You weren't supposed to tell. Glad you didn't mention Spuds on Alki . . .oops. Oh well, at least you didn't mention the 3 level, inexpensive, cafeteria in the Pike Place Market, with views better than any expensive restaurants in Seattle. Uh oh, I did it.

I agree with Michael, West Seattle is the secret spot. There are great little restaurants, and the beach there has THE view of Seattle. Space needle is fun to look at but only from West Seattle... This beach in West Seattle is the beach from Sleepless in Seattle that Tom Hanks and his son sail to...

Worth looking into!

Are there any tours of the Boeing Facility just North of Seatac?

Himself:

The only public Boeing tours I know of take place at the Everett plant, 30 minutes north of Seattle. I include a link below. Perhaps someone else can provide you with info on other tours.

http://www.boeing.com/companyoffices/aboutus/tours/index.html

Archived