Question for people who taken Air with NCL?

1st Can I check in more then one piece of luggage? Example A. My carry on B. my bag with all my clothes that a check in C a suitcase for suits.

2nd How are seats handled? Do I get assigned seats by NCL or when I check in at the airport? If this is the case should I be one of the first ones there to get a window seat if I desire one........

Thanks

You would probably have to see what the airline's policy on luggage would be. I'm sure that they would limit you to one carry on and 2 checked pcs, and restrict you to a total weght.

Seat assignments are usually done at check in. On our NCL air trip, we were able to get to the airport early and grab a couple of comfy seats in the exit rows. Even if they were assigned, if you got there early, you can change your seat assignment.

Most airlines allow you to do a pre check on the internet 24 hrs before your flight leaves. You can pick your seats at this time. You just need your reservation number and, of course, access to the internet.

This is only what I experience when I travel and may be different from what others experience. I am 6'8" and I try hard to get the best possible seat so that I am half decently comfortable. I usually get my exit row seat and I am happy to be of assistance if needed in emergency.

Hope this helps.

1541010751_SmileyAirplane.gif.79a52db8554fec0cfbf264be952ce807.gif

We were able to get our online booking locator number from our TA and preboard online. Seats had been chosen by NCL, but we were able to change online and ended up upgrading to FC using miles :)

I think the amount of luggage would depend on the airline policy. I don't the cruiseline cares how much you bring :)

The airline policy dictates how much luggage you can bring. Since NCL using different airlines, check the policy of the carrier once you get your documents. I know that Delta has became very strict on weight limits and my brother in law had an overage charge last year coming back from the Star.

Unless you go with premium air, your seats are assigned by NCL and NCL takes what the airline has left and assigns them. They are well known for just assigning with no checking out names, etc. On every NCL flight that we have done (except when we did premium air in 2004), our entire family has been scattered throughout the plane. It was so bad in 2002, that they put my then 5 year old daughter in an emergency exit row some 8 rows behind the nearest family member. The airline, by law, had to move her next to my wife or I (who were seperated by three rows). The flight from Denver to Hawaii was full and the airline people had to ask the man next to my wife to move. He got very upset because he did not want to move to the back of the plane where my daughter's seat was. (I was in a two row aisle with a gentleman who had a window seat and my wife was in the middle section and that is why they had to that gentleman.) After a lot of yelling by the man and the airline people apologetically saying that it was the law, they ended up giving the man a full refund and discount on future flight. I still remember the airline manager shaking his head as he was leaving saying "damn cruiseline."

I can honestly say that after using NCL's airfare program for our first cruise, we decided never to do it again. The seat assignments were ok, by far not the best seats on the plane. The part that really was quite pathetic was the 9 hour layover in Miami International Airport and the 5 hour layover in Atlanta. We booked our own airfare this time and managed to get a pretty good itenerary. As for the overage charges, Delta charges you quite a bit for an overage fee. I think that I had to pay like $50 for my bag. I would definitely check with the airline to see what there regulations are.

Fierce,

I can only speak for my experience but myself and 3 others were flying in from a major hub, BOSTON. We booked through NCL, got nonstop flights both ways, very desireable times, although we ended up with a medical emergency on our flight to MIA and we had to land in Philly. Instead of ariving in MIA at 11:15 am we arrived about 1:45. It worked out well for us, but depending on where you are flying from, major hub or not, time of year, if you are flying from somewhere in the northeast during the winter) you may want ot fly in a day ahead of time. Also as soon as we received out flights we called American Airlines and reserved our seats. The seats weren't the greatest but we were flying non-stop, we were all on the same flights and we got to the ship on time, which is the bottom line goal. Have a great trip.

I don't like booking NCL's flights. They're more expensive, the times are not very good and even their destination is not ideal. We had a cruise out of Vancouver BC and they flew us to Seattle and bussed us to Vancouver. Not pleasant.

We're on NCL cruise from Istanbul to Barcelona and I booked my own flights from Los Angeles. We are stopping in NY for a bit, then flying to Istanbul via Paris. I saved over $700 pp.

I'll book my own flights to South America as well.

Those luggage overweight fees can be VERY expensive, so weigh your bag(s) before you go to be sure!

I think you said you're taking the Jewel, Fierce--remember that it has self-service laundry, if that will help you keep your packing manageable. (I long for the day when all ships have this, especially for the longer cruises!)

All the airlines, especially in Europe have gotten tight on weight. Weigh the bags at home before you leave. Best way is to step on scale with, and then without the bag in your hand. Coming home is hard though since you do not have access to scales.

One of our bags has a very lightweight duffel/gym type bag in the outer pocket that can pull out in an emergency to repack stuff if needed. We also know where a few heavy items are that could be pulled out quickly if it comes to that. (sneakers, curling iron, jeans)

Once you receive your flight information from NCL, call your airline and tell them your air was booked as part of a group fare and could they please give you your reservation number. Write it down. (Have your flight#, travel dates, and names of everyone in your party ready.)

Next use the reservation number to access your flight info online and reserve your own seats. This can be done well before the 24 hour pre-checkin. You will probably need the reservation number for the pre-checkin as well. By the time you have your flight info from NCL there will be limited seats left, but more than waiting until checkin or pre-checkin. (NCL does not put the airline's reservation number in your cruise docs unless they have recently changed.)

You do need to check the airline's baggage policy to determine how much luggage you can bring. But in a nutshell here's what we've found out when we recently flew with USAir:

• The maximum weight for your checked baggage is 50 lbs. per person. You can check 50 lbs. of luggage and your spouse can check 50 lbs. of luggage. If you have only one piece of luggage for the two of you then that one piece can't weigh more than 50 lbs. So 50 is the magic number for USAir. If you go over the limit you will be charged $$$.
  • USAir allows only one piece of carry-on luggage per person. But it appears that a woman can get away with one piece of carry-on luggage and a purse. That's what I did and no one said "boo" to me.

Hope this helps!

We used NCL air for our upcoming cruise to Hawaii. As soon as our cruise docs arrived, I called United and reserved our seats without any trouble at all, plus I gave her our Mileage Plus numbers so we could get the mileage credited to our accounts.

I cruised last summer to and from Rome on another cruise line. I figured out who my air would be on by the schedules, called, got my own seat assignment changed even before the doc's hit my mailbox, with no problem. I just explained to the reservation person that I was taking a guess.

The biggest problem with the airline was the weight/bag restrictions on the flight returning from Rome to the US was a lot tighter than leaving the US. The same bag going over was 'too big' coming back, and although the total weight in my checked baggage was less, I was forced to weigh my carryon as part of my total luggage weight, and it was not within the acceptable standards by about 2KG. Many of the travel books I have read mention this phenomenon in European travel 'in passing'.

I know I will pack much lighter this year when I fly to Athens, and return from Istanbul, just to be safe! The tariff for total overweight if they make you weigh your carryown is far greater than buying some cosmetics on the ship.

Archived