Coffee Suggestion for Princess

Blackrobe

We just returned from a Costa cruise (are least favorite cruise out of 15). Costa does a couple of things exceptionally well. Iced tea and coffee are two of those things. I am an iced tea addict and my wife is a coffee hound. Neither of those drinks are potable on Princess (except for coffee at the Patisserie).

On Costa the tea comes from a globed server and tastes as if it is brewed. The coffee machines make coffee from grounds and the product is quite good. If the equipment is available to make decent iced tea and coffee on one line owned by Carnival, why do the other lines owned by Carnival not use the same equipment when there are so many complaints about the lousy beverages on Princess?

I guess since Princess has now started charging for brewed coffee at the Patisserie and Lobby Bars, they are using their reputation for crappy coffee as an incentive to generate on-board revenue.

As of when? I just got off the Regal on April 5th and it was still free at the Patisserie.

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

Oh No! This can't be true. I love Princess but I hate the coffee. The only thing that has saved me is the fresh-brewed coffee in the Patisserie (regular coffee, not the specialty drinks.) Please clarify: are they really charging for the regular brewed coffee now?

Oh no, the Patisserie was the only place to get decent coffee. I guess a lot more people will be buying those little coffee makers and making their own. Of course we could just pay the price and at least it will be good.

Hummmmmmm, interesting that this has supposedly changed in the last few weeks that they are now charging for regular coffee at the Patisserie. I would have thought that many would have come back with reports about this by now. I guess it still remians to be seen. I am sure if it is true, we will read much more about this in the coming weeks.

We were on Regal Princess, 3-9/22-06, Buenos Aires to Valparaiso, 'round the Horn, and there was no charge for regular brewed coffee in the Patisserie. My wife, sis-in-law & hubby, and I often went there when we wanted a good cup of coffee.

They did charge for specialty coffees, however.

Just off Sapphire yesterday and they did charge $1.00 for a cup of coffee at the Lobby Bar and the Patisserie. It was worth the the $1.00 for a normal cup of coffee. The mud they sere at the Horizon Court is awful.......Room service coffee is good but it was warm not hot every day. We were on the Golden 2 years ago and I don't remember the food and the coffee being so bad.

Thanks for the bad news! :( Not good news whatsoever. Such a shame they are beginning to charge for a darned cup of good regular coffee. I wonder if this is going to be fleet wide or possibly just another of Princess tests to see how it goes over?

I guess since Princess has now started charging for brewed coffee at the Patisserie and Lobby Bars, they are using their reputation for crappy coffee as an incentive to generate on-board revenue.

Maybe these message boards aren't such a good idea after all...:D . We're making suggestions, and Princess is heeding our advice, but they're not using the info as we might think...:eek: .

We asked for designer coffee, and we got it ... at a price :( .

Bon Voyage!

Chris

I was on the Diamond this weekend (thursday-Saturday), and had several cups of coffee at the lobby bar. I was never charged. (Maybe they have both brewed and the usual princess stuff, but they never asked if I wanted brewed - they just brought me coffee.)

Abby

• 3 months later...

For those that like Flavored Coffee......here's a tip - Splenda just came out with 'Flavor Blends'! They are AWESOME and easy to take with you!!!!!

30 to a box. So far I've found them in French Vanilla & Hazelnut.

Anne

515395A_p.jpgThis is the coffeemaker that I always take on our cruises, from Brookstone. I see that it has gone up in price, to $40.00, ouch. It may be worth the money to you though, because it has some very nice features. It brews a very hot cup of coffee in about 2 min. one cup at a time. It comes with a gold filter but I usually take the paper filters and throw the grinds and filters away in plastic baggies when finished.

I went to this one from the small Mr Coffee because it is smaller and because DH likes decaf and DS likes hot chocolate. This way we can all have what we want. It packs very well and takes up little space. I also like it because it shuts off when the coffee/water is finished.

As others have said, the coffee on Princess "seems" to have gotten a little better. You may decide to rethink. For me, one of the things that I enjoy most about cruising is to have my first cup of coffee on the balcony. Hope this helps.

Linda

PRINCESS ARE YOU READING THIS????? People want "GOOD" coffee and not have to pay for it.

You can make up the revenue elsewhere. For goodness sake, give the people quality coffee so they don't have to resort to bring on their own coffee makers.

To all coffee lovers:

International Café – located on Deck 5 in the Piazza - specialty coffees, premium coffee, coffee drinks, hot chocolate, and teas were available for an additional charge – this is where the coffee card came in handy. $27.60 for 15specialty coffees and unlimited brewed coffee – please note – there is a brewed coffee (not made from syrup) which you could get at the International Café for free anytime. There was also a premium Blue Mountain coffee available there for an additional charge. Once our party discovered the Blue Mountain coffee, two coffee cards were purchased. The coffee drinkers in our group all indicated the taste of the Blue Mountain coffee was far superior to anything they had on the ship (restaurants) and better than the free brewed coffee at the International Café. Our group used to go to the Café to get a “to go” cup of Blue Mountain coffee before heading off for breakfast.

Reading this... I wonder.

Is it OK to share this coffee card?.. Unlike the soda card where the drinks are unlimited and intended for one passanger... I am thinking since it is for a certain amount of drinks we could share it. I dont much go for the specialty drinks, but do drink a lot of regualr coffee, while my husband does like the fancy coffee drinks.

Also is there only certain times that you can get coffee?

For those of you who bring coffee makers for your room.....and please don't laugh.......do you use the "bathroom water" or use the bottled water they leave in the room? I'm not a fan of tap water & the bottled is so expensive. :confused: Thanks!

I was on the Diamond this weekend (thursday-Saturday), and had several cups of coffee at the lobby bar. I was never charged. (Maybe they have both brewed and the usual princess stuff, but they never asked if I wanted brewed - they just brought me coffee.)

Abby

Good to hear about the coffee, we will be sailing on the Diamond at the end of next week. Any general comments about the ship?, for some reason there is very little on the boards regarding the Diamond.

Archived