Room Service question

emiliesmom

Just curious as to what is offered on the complimentary room service menu. My dh and I have our first cruise coming up in October (Oct 28, Zuiderdam) and I can't wait to indulge in room service:D . Are there many options? Full breakfasts? What about snacks? I read that you have to pay for hors d'oeuvres; does that mean there are no cool appetizers available at all hours on the room service menu?

Thanks!

I will highly recommend the Triple Decker Club Sandwich as one the best meals we have ever had on a HAL ship. Certainly in the top 3 menu items we have ever ordered and that includes in the dining room and Pinnacle.

On the other hand, when you see 'Bay Shrimp' cocktail on any menu, don't be fooled. It is not the shrimp cocktail you are imagining, but the teeny tiny fingernail size shrimp you get in a can. Not to say you might not enjoy; just trying to give you realistic expectations so you won't be surprised. The French Onion soup is an excellent appetizer, however. :)

Well let's see we had the shrimp cocktail and it was delicious didn't find it like the shrimp in can but then again I never had it from a can;) Now the French Onion soup is out of this world. Then we had the steak sandwich which was wonderful and very warm, and for dessert my husband has apple tart with vanilla ice cream and I had the chocolate cake. Okay I will fess up we missed lunch one day in Turkey and came back starving and ordered all of this food and guess what we ate it all too:eek: It was really really good. I would recommend room service anytime. I must add we usually have breakfast delivered every morning and have never been dissatisfied once and it was always warm and always on time and we do this on all of our cruises so we can eat and go. My husband really enjoys it, he said just like home Okay I do make his coffee each morning and bring in the morning paper before I go to work so I guess I have spoiled him but HAL spoils both of us and we love it:p

Kathy

We often check out the menu from the dining room when it is posted and order our complete meal from that. We do have to adjust our dining time slightly. The only problem is everything comes at once.

We have ordered breakfast many mornings to be delivered at a certain time and it was great. Also the pizza and desserts were good for afternoons we have come back aboard from ports. My hubby even orders double servings of potato chips to munch on while watching TV while I'm out by the pool.

Missygirl:)

Since this is your first cruise, here is something to keep in mind when ordering room service.

You must order every single thing you want and how many. If you want butter with your toast, order it and tell them how many. If you want lemon and sugar with your ice tea, same thing. Cream with coffee, you must order it. Ketchup, mustard, mayo, same thing. Don't assume things come with your order. I think you got the picture. :)

For breakfast, you can also write in what you want on the preprinted menu,

We usually write; "with lots of vegetables" next to the cheese omelet selection and it is always delicious. :D

Beth

One of our favorite things to order is cheese and crackers. That makes a great snack and HAL does a better job of this than other cruise lines. At least that's what we thought!

I agree!! I order a cheese plate daily when I'm on a HAL ship! They are very addictive!!:D :D

Thanks so much to everyone for their information. Now I'm really, really looking forward to our first cruise. We don't leave until late October so I'm sure I'll have more questions between now and then...

Archived