Spirit Review for 5/10/06 sailing (Glacier Bay)

K.T.B.

Kevin - Loved your review, particulary the tongue in cheek humor about complaining to Carnival!
:) Thanks.

I've seen so many recent reviews with people complaining about the most inane things and usually it's out of Carnival's control. This cruise was far from perfect, but nothing occurred that I could really complain about that could potentially ruin my cruise... except for the rudeness and inconsiderateness of many passengers.

Oh, one minor "complaint" that I did forget to mention in my review: The pizzas were very slow in being made. Very. Slow. Always had to wait a few minutes for a slice or 2. It wasn't like there was a constant stream of people at the counter that caused them to "sell out". It was as if they were making them to order as people asked for them. As I said, it was minor, but it's something that needs to be addressed and corrected.

Great review...

brought back lovely memories of my first cruise in 1985...Royal Princess from San Fran to Alaska! My father-in-law took me and my daughter on his honeymoon with his new bride...he's gone now, and so is she.

Thanks for reawakening the memories!

:) Thanks.

I've seen so many recent reviews with people complaining about the most inane things and usually it's out of Carnival's control. This cruise was far from perfect, but nothing occurred that I could really complain about that could potentially ruin my cruise... except for the rudeness and inconsiderateness of many passengers.

Oh, one minor "complaint" that I did forget to mention in my review: The pizzas were very slow in being made. Very. Slow. Always had to wait a few minutes for a slice or 2. It wasn't like there was a constant stream of people at the counter that caused them to "sell out". It was as if they were making them to order as people asked for them. As I said, it was minor, but it's something that needs to be addressed and corrected.

This has always been the case for the Carnival cruises we went on. I just assumed this was the normal way they operated. So you are saying this isn't the norm eh? :eek:

Kevin -

did you happen to check out the excursions offered while on board the ship? I am specifically interested in knowing if the zip line excursions for Ketchikan and/or Juneau were available for booking. The last time I checked with Carnival they said check once on board....

Kevin -

did you happen to check out the excursions offered while on board the ship? I am specifically interested in knowing if the zip line excursions for Ketchikan and/or Juneau were available for booking. The last time I checked with Carnival they said check once on board....

I too was interested in the canopy adventure in Ketchikan. When I logged into the Carnival site I did not see the excursion offered on the Ketchikan excursions list, although when you checked the excursion list while not logged into the site it showed up. I quizzed Carnival on this and got 2 different answers. The first rep. said that meant the excursion was only available to choose onboard. The second rep. said that if it did not show up on the list after logging in that meant the excursion was already full.

I guess I will find out in a week or so who was right!

Actually, we had a similar thing happen with us when we went to book the White Pass excursion online. We really wanted to do the White Pass, Klondike Highway and Gold Camp excursion, but it was not offered online by Carnival. I did some research and it turns out the railroad only offers that particular trip later in May, and throughout the summer months, but not when we were there.

That might be the case with yours, Perseids.

Thanks for the great review. We will be going on the same cruise in Sept. We have just returned from a cruise on the Elation and was very disappointed with the quality of food...esp. breakfast and the buffet choice. We are introducing our friends to Carnival (having done RCI last year with them) and I was hoping that the food would be at least as good. Guess it is not just the Elation that is not great. Oh well!

Look forward to going although I am more attracted to going south for sand and sun but it would seem that you found the scenery spectacular. Again,thanks for the review.

We thought Conquest was too dark and it felt way too big. Spirit just felt right.

And we booked all our excursions through Carnival. It's worth it to me to have peace of mind if we're running late for any reason.

I am right with you. At first I thought I loved the Spirit just because I loved Alaska...but then we sailed the sister ship (Pride) in March and I loved her too!!!

Conquest was to big for me...but that doesn't mean I won't try her sister ships. They just aren't my preference.

thanks for all the time you took with this thread, it was a pleasure to read and get some decent advice on Alaska cruising :o

I want to second this sentiment. I am so looking forward to one day going to Alaska and I love any good info. One question off the subject, where'd you get the COOL avatar? I can't wait til June 30th.

Great Review.........

Can't believe they still have not got that stage fixed......very strange.

No, it was fixed. It got fixed in time for the next day's activities and for them to present what should have been the late seating's show from the previous night.

I want to second this sentiment. I am so looking forward to one day going to Alaska and I love any good info. One question off the subject, where'd you get the COOL avatar? I can't wait til June 30th.
I have no idea where I got the avatar..... I've used it since day 1 of being here. :)

My group has asked a question i hope you can answer. You go through immigrations before or after you claim you luggage. I say after, but still need to know for sure.

Also you have to wait till your on the ship to book the supper club . You can't do it online.

My group has asked a question i hope you can answer. You go through immigrations before or after you claim you luggage. I say after, but still need to know for sure.

Also you have to wait till your on the ship to book the supper club . You can't do it online.

If you mean in the airport, you pick up after you go through customs. The only thing you can do once you get off the plane is walk (and walk and walk) to get to customs. No stops along the way for anything else.

If you mean in the airport, you pick up after you go through customs. The only thing you can do once you get off the plane is walk (and walk and walk) to get to customs. No stops along the way for anything else.

Thanks for the tip about the bathroom. Need to make sure to remember to use the lav on the plane!

Thanks for the tip about the bathroom. Need to make sure to remember to use the lav on the plane!
My wife wishes she had known that too.... :D The walk is literally a 10 minute walk. Of course we walked rather quickly.....

• 2 months later...

Kevin...Thanks for the review. You brought back fond memories of our first cruise. We too, did this cruise, first one of the season and like you had wonderful weather. We've talked about it so much that our friends are scheduled for 5/9/07!! We had a balcony and I actually got to see the Northern Lights one night when I got up for a potty stop. Although our shore excursions were different, there were some similarities and we too thought Glacier Bay and the naturalist comments, the highlight. Kudos to you.

Ann

Archived