Princess Canada/New England cruise

Massageman

We are leaving on 10/7/06 on the Star Princess. At Halifax we are thinking about doing Pegy's Cove Coastal & Country Adventure. At Saint John we are thinking about The Bay Of Fundy at Fundy National Park. At Bar Harbor we are thinking about Carriage Ride and Cadillac Mountain. At Boston we were thinking about Boston City Sights & Amphibious Duck Vehicle Tour and at Newport, Vanderbilt's Newport. There are three of us which includes my 9 year old daughter. Do anyone have any past experience with these tours and any websites or phone numbers that I can book at instead of going through Princess for these shore excursions. Thanks in advance. You cruisers are awesome and full of knowledge.

Hi,

I did this cruise last year. You may be too late for the Carriage Ride in Acadia Park. We went October 15th last year and the tour wasn't offered. I believe they stop it at the end of September. You may want to follow up and research that to make sure that is accurate. We did a limo ride there and I wouldn't recommend the limo (Acadia Park was great). Several people from our CC group did Oli's Trolley tour through Acadia and they were pleased.

We did a private van tour in Halifax - he will take you where ever and was quite reasonable. If you want that information - let me know.

Theresa

We did a private van tour in Halifax - he will take you where ever and was quite reasonable. If you want that information - let me know.

We are doing this Sea Princess cruise in September and are considering a private tour in Halifax. Could you post the information? I'd be very interested in who you used for the tour, the number of people, and the cost per person. I've gleaned much valuable information from your other posts on CC. Thanks!

We are thinking of renting a car in Bar Harbour for the trip to Acadia. Do you think that would be a reasonable idea? My husband wants to be able to stop and take pictures when and where he wants.

This is who I used in Halifax:

Kiwi Kaboodle

http://www.novascotiatoursandtravel.com/Shore_excursions.htm

We did Peggy's Cove, Lunenburg and Mahone Bay. Looking back - I wish we would have just done Peggy's Cove and Halifax. Lunenburg and Mahone Bay made it for a very long day. Greg will take you wherever you want and you can stay as long as you want anywhere. He was very prompt and waiting for us when we got off the ship, he had a very comfortable van and was a wealth of knowledge. He also got us out to Peggy's Cove before the cruise ship buses came and when they came, there were tons of them (buses).

He is a one man company (his wife assists with phone calls). So once he is booked, he is booked.

If you have any other questions after seeing his website - let me know.

-----------

As far as renting a car in Bar Harbor - yes that makes sense. There is a restaurant (Jordon Pondhouse?) near Acadia that has what I hear great popovers and I would have loved to have stopped there. We did the limo ride and we stopped probably 6 times or so to take pictures. I was the youngest in the group and had to crawl into the limo each time. Limos are great for long trips, not for getting in and out of constantly.

Judy - I would like to be on that cruise with you. I don't have it booked but I am sort of eyeing it and hoping some last minute specials come out. I am eyeing that sailing and the next couple. My guess is that it will sell out but last year there was some great flash rates on it (but this year, it is selling pretty well).

We are leaving on 10/7/06 on the Star Princess. At Halifax we are thinking about doing Pegy's Cove Coastal & Country Adventure. At Saint John we are thinking about The Bay Of Fundy at Fundy National Park. At Bar Harbor we are thinking about Carriage Ride and Cadillac Mountain. At Boston we were thinking about Boston City Sights & Amphibious Duck Vehicle Tour and at Newport, Vanderbilt's Newport. There are three of us which includes my 9 year old daughter. Do anyone have any past experience with these tours and any websites or phone numbers that I can book at instead of going through Princess for these shore excursions. Thanks in advance. You cruisers are awesome and full of knowledge.
We were on the Sea Princess 10/4-14/05 and have also been to these places twice by RV. Friends took the Peggy's Cove trip and really enjoyed it. We had been there twice so did not take the tour. At Saint John we encouraged our friends to go to the Bay of Fundy, we also had been there twice and felt it was a must see, but the ship did not offer the tour. We really enjoyed the Carriage Ride on Cadillac Mountain on a previous trip. You don't have any vista views which many people consider the highlight of their trip to Acadia NP but it is a nice ride on the carriage trails. Sadly to say on our trip the port of Newport was canceled due to high seas prohibiting the use of tenders so we didn't get to our planned tour of the Vanderbilt's.

If you are looking for private tours be aware that the Bay of Fundy and Peggy's Cove are quite a distance from where the ship is docked. You might be able to get a private driver to take you if no one has a suggestion but they are long trips with the risk of something happening and you missing the ship's sailing. The Acadia National Park web site had a link where we pre-booked the carriage ride.

Coral, the pickings were pretty slim when we booked the cruise in March and the price is really high - almost 3x our Alaska cruises and the Bermuda cruise that we have booked. I sure hope it is worth it! I have read so many of your posts that I'd love to meet you so I am pulling for you to get on the cruise. I just hope that you don't get TOO good a price because I would be very jealous. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the info. Our roll call is growing (4 couples so far) so we are hoping to find someone else interested in sharing a private tour. We already have someone to share rental cars in a couple of places.

Here is another link for the Halifax private tour: http://www.novascotiatoursandtravel.com/Guided%20Tours.htm

As far as Newport - I would check cancellation policies for any private tours booked here. We also ran into weather issues here (very windy). They let us tender out in the morning but stopped the tenders in the afternoon due to wind. Anyone who went out was able to stay ashore but no one was allowed off the ship after noon or so.

Coral, the pickings were pretty slim when we booked the cruise in March and the price is really high - almost 3x our Alaska cruises and the Bermuda cruise that we have booked. I sure hope it is worth it! I have read so many of your posts that I'd love to meet you so I am pulling for you to get on the cruise. I just hope that you don't get TOO good a price because I would be very jealous. :rolleyes:

I haven't looked for a few weeks but last time I checked - the ship was pretty full and pretty pricey. Though I would love to do this ship compared to the Grand Princess next year (who is taking over the route).

I may just pick up a cheap Europe trip this fall, that is if Europe is ever cheap again. I think my cheap travels are coming to an end.....Pricing is so high on most things I look at these days.

I've rented cars in Halifax -- drove to Peggy's Cove one year, Lunenbourg and Mahone Bay the next.

In Newport, we caught the city bus out to the mansions and bought a 2-mansion ticket there. We were there on a weekend, and the line at The Breakers (I think?) was long with ship excursions getting preferential admission.

In Boston, we purchased a $10 shuttle from the ship to town on the Beantown Trolley was at the pier. Our shuttle ticket included a discount on the regular hop-on, hop-off trolley -- which we used.

Karla

Car rental is a breeze in Saint John...Avis is literally a 2 minute walk from where the ship docks, and they will give you excellent driving directions....it was rather foggy when we were there, so we opted for a short drive to Irving Nature Park -- an excellent and very close place to hike along the Bay of Fundy and experience the massive tide changes. If it had been a nicer day we would have considered making the 1 hour or so drive to St Andrews (?), which is supposed to be very picturesque, with some sea caves to explore.

Never did find an easy car rental option for Bar Harbor...

Here is another link for the Halifax private tour: http://www.novascotiatoursandtravel.com/Guided%20Tours.htm

As far as Newport - I would check cancellation policies for any private tours booked here. We also ran into weather issues here (very windy). They let us tender out in the morning but stopped the tenders in the afternoon due to wind. Anyone who went out was able to stay ashore but no one was allowed off the ship after noon or so.

The wind was so bad that day that the ship had to keep the engines running all day so that the ship would not swing around in circles.

We rented a car in Halifax. It was about forty dollars for the whole day. We wanted to explore the Black History of NS and had a wonderful day. Most of the car rentals are right there in the terminal:)

In Halifax, I HIGHLY recommend Bobs Tours by Taxi:

http://www.tourbytaxi.com/

We used Bob on both of our trips to Halifax. He was prompt, courteous and EXTREMELY informative. His wife is a school teacher. He is very knowledgeable of a fine driver (no, I don't receive anything from him)

For our stop in Bar Harbor, we used Ollie's Trolley. Cheaper than the cruise excursion and a far better view than the coach buses. You can search CC for prior posts.

Newport is fairly easy to get around, especially in the fall when it's not to crowded. But I have never been there when a cruise ship is in town. Here is the link to the http://www.newportmansions.org/

All should be open still. They are all on Bellevue Avenue and interesting to visit. Most have a self guided tour and the Breakers has a regular guide.

• 2 weeks later...

JudyNorth - I got an email special on Princess on this. If you want any of the details - email me. They are for inside cabins - you probably booked a higher cabin.

I am strongly considering this sailing plus the 14 night but need to know the work schedule. Unfortunately - I think the October dates work better for me.

JudyNorth - I got an email special on Princess on this. If you want any of the details - email me. They are for inside cabins - you probably booked a higher cabin.

I am strongly considering this sailing plus the 14 night but need to know the work schedule. Unfortunately - I think the October dates work better for me.

We booked a gty outside because the balconies were in short supply and VERY expensive. We still haven't received a cabin assignment but did receive our confirmation for late seating traditional. Let me know if you decide to join us on this cruise. I have read your posts for quite a while now and would love to meet you. I just read today that the US $ isn't doing too well against the Canadian $. That's not too good for us who are going there in the near future. Of course, the Canadian are probably pleased.

Judy - I will let you know. I think I have a conflict when you are going or I should say, my coworker's son is getting married and she is taking that week off. I will know more on Monday.

I am leaning towards the 18th at the time but everything is still up in the air! It would be great to sail with you if it does work out.

Theresa

We really enjoyed our New England Cruise. Peggy's Cove is wonderful and the lighthouse will stamp your passport and cards.

In Newport we also encountered weather problems. Enjoyed the one mansion we got to see. The Bus the tour used left and never came back. We just took a cab back to the ship and were the last tender back on for several hours. We were soaked to the skin. That was an adventure we still laugh about. Especially since the QMII was there, beautiful ship, her passengers got a canopy. We watched that blow off their dock. She stopped tendering far earlier. Us Princess people are hearty stock.

Hi,

I did this cruise last year. You may be too late for the Carriage Ride in Acadia Park. We went October 15th last year and the tour wasn't offered. I believe they stop it at the end of September. You may want to follow up and research that to make sure that is accurate. We did a limo ride there and I wouldn't recommend the limo (Acadia Park was great). Several people from our CC group did Oli's Trolley tour through Acadia and they were pleased.

Theresa

Hi Coral,

Have finished our 2nd cruise to Alaska and were wondering about the New England cruise. Did you enjoy it? When would you say would be the best time to go? Thanks in advance for your response.

Hi Coral,

Have finished our 2nd cruise to Alaska and were wondering about the New England cruise. Did you enjoy it? When would you say would be the best time to go? Thanks in advance for your response.

Yes - I did enjoy the cruise. I probably made some bad choices in excursions but it was new territory for me and I seem to want perfection the first time. I am just interested in doing something other than the Caribbean.

I researched quite a bit last year and the week of the 15th seemed to be what I decided on. It turned out we were too early last year as the colors just started changing as we were leaving. This is the website I used:

http://www.foliagenetwork.com/reports/northeast_us/

You can go back a few years and see when it peaked for the different areas.

I am leaning towards Oct 8th and 18th at the moment (10 day going on Sea Princess) as I like that ship better than the Grand class and next year the Grand is doing the 10 night. I did the 7 night last year. I am having some air issues and if air proves to be too pricey - I may scrap the idea. We will see.

I thoroughly enjoyed my New England cruise and some day I'll do it again! I absolutely loved Halifax and Bar Harbor!

Personally I would not rent a car in Bar Harbor, as the local trolley tour out to Acadia is just great. We walked the few blocks over from the pier to catch the trolley ourselves, not a problem. I would not do a ship's tour to Acadia.

Of course, Peggy's Cove is a distance away and a tour or rental is the only way to go. I haven't gone to Peggy's Cove as the National Park interested me more. I like lighthouses alot but for some reason Peggy's Cove just isn't high on my list.

Halifax we did the duck tour, which gave us a good overview of Halifax then we took a taxi to the cemetary to see the Titanic graves, on the way back had him drop us at the museum. We had lunch at a pier area that has shops and restaurants, which was great. Topping our day off, we went in and saw the displays right at the pier, which were well worth the price. Alot of people I talk to never see this area right at the pier, Canada's equivalent to Ellis Island.

In St. John's, I did the St. Andrews by the Sea tour and really enjoyed it. Some people did not like the rather long bus ride but I thought this tour was great.

I think the mansions in Newport are a must see but then I like mansions and have been to Ashville, NC, too, to see the Biltmore Estate (also Vanderbilt's).

We did our trip in Sept. and the weather was wonderful. Leaves were not turning yet until we got up in the Laurentians, which was a great tour, too. We stayed overnight in Montreal but some day I would like to spend more time in Quebec.

I would not do a shorter New England cruise but I am not a short cruise person, that's just me. October is probably better for leaves and color.

Enjoy your cruise planning! By the way, New England like Europe has never had a lot of wiggle room for pricing, too short of a season and alot of interest in the locale.

We did this cruise several years ago on the Golden Princess. We found it easier and much less expensive to do much on our own.

Peggy's Cove - we rented a car and drove to it. Easy to get to.

Bar Harbour - rented a car and drove to Arcadia National Park and Cadillac mountain on our own. Much better for us to get out and walk around when and where we wanted to. Afterwards had a lobster lunch in town.

Boston - have been there several times before and simply walked the Freedom Trail and stopped at a few Irish Bars

Newport - you can take the city bus right to the mansions. Much less expensive and easy. Bus depot is near the pier area as I recall. Easy to get bus to return to the main town area.

The New England cruise is a great cruise, but be prepared for rain.

jdm,

Where is the nearest rental car agency to the dock in Bar Harbor? Will they pick you up at the pier or are they close enough to walk? We would prefer to rent a car there so that we can stop when a where we want to in Acadia Nat. Park. Sometimes on tours there is no time to stop and you just can't see as much as you would like.

From what I am reading on these boards, many of the ports lend themselves to sightseeing on your own rather than taking an excursion, particularly, a ship sponsored one.

Archived