RCCL is playing us against eachother and they know it.

Voyager and Ericknow32, you have both mentioned contacting RCCL with our concerns about enforcing rules. Do you think anyone from the cruise line reads these boards? I'd like to think that they may care what we feel. I'm all for letting them know.

I know that a few of the people that I've talked to at Royal Caribbean do read these boards. In fact, when I went to book a certain cruise, they were very aware of a thread that I post to often.

Kathy, I agree with alot of what you said, but being in the hot tubs is not good for children, especially young children.

Here in NJ it's against the law for children under 18 to use a jacuzzi.

I have been on about 15 cruises since 1990--and have seen the explosive growth-I have cruised the last 3 times on NCL specifically because no dress code-I am booked on rccl --but I will not bring my tuxedo-I feel it is intrusive to ask me to carry it and wear it on vacation --people are casual today -as a matter of fact 5 years ago I wore a suit and tie to work everyday--No more -thats over

Another interesting point as far as kids go =We have cruised in mid Sept to be as sure as we could that there would be no kids--To my amazement there were kids on the ship- as some parents think it is ok to keep them out of school--That wouldnt work when I was a kid or for my kids--of course people will have all kinds of excuses including the learning experience of a cruise--I have taken my kids on 5 cruises over the years but always during vacation time

I know that a few of the people that I've talked to at Royal Caribbean do read these boards. In fact, when I went to book a certain cruise, they were very aware of a thread that I post to often.

I knew it too. Thanks for posting. See what I mean about these boards. We can be pretty informative!

Voyager and Ericknow32, you have both mentioned contacting RCCL with our concerns about enforcing rules. Do you think anyone from the cruise line reads these boards? I'd like to think that they may care what we feel. I'm all for letting them know. (Before anyone gets up in arms, I'm not talking about making the ships a combat zone with pool attendents and wait staff carrying billy clubs, just a few administrative people letting people know what's expected of them in a particular location such as the formal dining room or the adult decks and pool areas for instance.) (And by formal dining room, all I mean is that when it says no jeans, shorts or t-shirts that that be respected and on formal nights, everyone try to be a little "dressier" than on other nights.)

I know for a fact the on board personnel read the comments on this web site. Not sure about Miami though.

You now have the attitude of "it's my vacation and to hell with everyone else" that you did not see when I first starting cruising twenty years ago.
This attitude isn't limited to cruising; it's quite prevalent in many parts of our society.

I have been on about 15 cruises since 1990--and have seen the explosive growth-I have cruised the last 3 times on NCL specifically because no dress code-I am booked on rccl --but I will not bring my tuxedo-I feel it is intrusive to ask me to carry it and wear it on vacation --people are casual today -as a matter of fact 5 years ago I wore a suit and tie to work everyday--No more -thats over

Another interesting point as far as kids go =We have cruised in mid Sept to be as sure as we could that there would be no kids--To my amazement there were kids on the ship- as some parents think it is ok to keep them out of school--That wouldnt work when I was a kid or for my kids--of course people will have all kinds of excuses including the learning experience of a cruise--I have taken my kids on 5 cruises over the years but always during vacation time

Many kids are home schooled these days also.

There will always be kids/parents issues. Doesn't matter if its cruising, sporting events, Disney World or a church function. The real problem is lack of rule enforcement, and how much it varies from ship to ship. I've read posts where kids were kicked out of the Solarium on one ship, and left alone on another. Chair-hog police active on one ship, and invisible on another. Shorts allowed in dining room on one ship, while others in shorts were turned away on another ship. This inconsistancy has to be brought to the top levels of management at RCI. Well thought out and composed letters and e-mails are usually well received. If enough people write about a particular problem area, it would be wise for the folks in Miami to pay attention and seek to fix the problem.

Well, Celebrity asked LaraS to post something on the Celebrity boards with regards to one of the posts. RCI/Celebrity does read these boards.

I believe that was regarding the infamous Mercury bleaching cruise.

Mark, I know what you mean about the kids school schedule. There was another post that said when the kids were off in the mid east, southern, northern, highschool, grammer etc.... It had my head spinning. I basically like kids, and have never been on a ship that was over run with them. That being said, I guess I've been lucky. :D

Marilyn

Do you think they should position a crew member at the hot tubs to tell the kids to stay out?

Actually, on this one, yes. And not for politeness either. There is a real reason why children aren't allowed in hot tubs. It's dangerous for them:

From CPSC:

Drowning – Drowning is the most common hot tub related injury for young children. Children under the age of five are especially vulnerable to this type of injury

Burns – Hot tub temperatures which are considerably high pose a threat to children. Not only can it burn the skin but water which is too hot can also cause heat stroke and fainting. Fainting in a hot tub can be very dangerous and can potentially cause fatality.

I would like to offer a comment. I tried to post this earlier but the boards were too slow at the time from traffic and it would not post.. anyways, When I got home from work today, in my mail box was a book I picked up cheap on ebay...called the rccl 2006-2007 travel agent guide, it has all the rccl policies and deck plans in it..

now back on topic:

Yes, I agree that rules are in place and need to be respected as such. I do dress for formal night even though I really do not like to get dressed up, it is expected, so I do it.

However, reading this book that rccl has published and has put out, there is a very interesting section that shows how cruising is taking a turn to cater to today's society, unlike how we have known it in the past. It i sno wonder that people are doing and dressing differently from years past. Check this out..

Direct from the book it says: :eek::eek:

(appendix page A3)

New to cruising?

Cruising allows you to come as you are. If you want casual, you can simply lie back in shorts everyday. We have a few formal evenings in the dining, but they are optional. For your dining pleasure we also have a relaxed atmosphere by offering restraunt options like johnney rockets, windjammer cafe', Seaview cafe', and cafe' promonade. And of course, for the ultimate casual experiance, there is always room service.

So my point is if the cruise line is publishing this type of information, then people are lead to believe they can dress how they want, if they are new, or just think that casual is ok. As the publications indicate, formal is optional according to rccl, and they are promoting shorts.. so it is no wonder we see what we see on the ships now.

The cruising population is catering to the changing society and are trying to meet the demands of today's cruisers, not necessarily the way we knew it years ago..

Does this make it right? probably not.. but this is what the rccl publications are promoting. :eek:

so, how can we make our voice known that we want to keep cruising the way it WAS, rather than what it IS, if RCCL are the ones making these casual and relaxed rules, ???

thanks for allowing me to share a thought.. :)

So, what can we do? And, thanks for not getting after me! ;)

I'm sure you have heard the old expression- "Money talks, bull**** walks".

Cruise lines care only about one thing - profits. And the new class of clientele today is not interested in rules or formal nights. Now there are many people who do care but continue to cruise and put up with the insults. Certainly, cruise lines could not exist without us. So, the only way to get their attention is to show them what it would be like without us. Stop cruising for a while. Or just stop cruising on RCL. I do not cruise on one single line. I look for good deals, new ships, interesting itinerary, etc. I am sure everyone would have a great time on Princess or HAL. You can even switch to Celebrity (which is far superior to RCL in my opinion). Cruise lines cannot sail with half full ships. Then need the income from almost full ships to meet expenses and pay mortgages on ships. I doubt that they would enforce rules on all ships, but the best alternative would probably be more adults only cruises with rules enforced. I just got back from a fantastic AI (another thread). It was so good that we decided to cut back from two cruises per year to one and spend the other week at an AI or a land resort. Just one warning - make sure you go to a top shelf AI because most AIs do not compare with a good cruise.

I would like to offer a comment. I tried to post this earlier but the boards were too slow at the time from traffic and it would not post.. anyways, When I got home from work today, in my mail box was a book I picked up cheap on ebay...called the rccl 2006-2007 travel agent guide, it has all the rccl policies and deck plans in it..

now back on topic:

Yes, I agree that rules are in place and need to be respected as such. I do dress for formal night even though I really do not like to get dressed up, it is expected, so I do it.

However, reading this book that rccl has published and has put out, there is a very interesting section that shows how cruising is taking a turn to cater to today's society, unlike how we have known it in the past. It i sno wonder that people are doing and dressing differently from years past. Check this out..

(appendix page A3)

New to cruising?

Cruising allows you to come as you are. If you want casual, you can simply lie back in shorts everyday. We have a few formal evenings in the dining, but they are optional. For your dining pleasure we also have a relaxed atmosphere by offering restraunt options like johnney rockets, windjammer cafe', Seaview cafe', and cafe' promonade. And of course, for the ultimate casual experiance, there is always room service.

So my point is if the cruise line is publishing this type of information, then people are lead to believe they can dress how they want, if they are new, or just think that casual is ok. As the publications indicate, formal is optional according to rccl, and they are promoting shorts.. so it is no wonder we see what we see on the ships now.

The cruising population is catering to the changing society and are trying to meet the demands of today's cruisers, not necessarily the way we knew it years ago..

Does this make it right? probably not.. but this is what the rccl publications are promoting. :eek:

so, how can we make our voice known that we want to keep cruising the way it WAS, rather than what it IS, if RCCL are the ones making these casual and relaxed rules, ???

thanks for allowing me to share a thought.. :)

Ok, you got the book fairly cheap on Ebay and it was written by travel agents? Yes, I can see how John Q. Public would be confused. However, once they either talk to thier TA or read the specific cruise docs they would be pretty much informed. That also depends on the TA's cruisint experience I suppose. Black and white print doesnt lie though-- from RCCL docs/brocures anyway. Just wish they would enforce it.

Since many ships have separate dining rooms or dining rooms with multiple levels how about allowing cruisers who want to dress more formally to be seated in a dining room with other cruisers that want to dress more formally. It seems there are enough people on boths sides of the fence to fill the formal and informal dining rooms.

I have always found the food in the formal dining room better than the buffet food served in the Windjammer and I can understand why people still want to eat there even though they refuse to dress up. It must be noted however, most people wouldn't go to a fancy restaurant that serves courses in jeans and a tank top as you would be turned away.

My b/f and I love dressing up for dinner and do so at home as well as on vacation because it makes every meal out special. The only complaint we had about our last cruise was that only 7 other men dressed up for dinner on the single formal night of the cruise. Everyone complemented us on how we looked and a few seemed like they wished they had dressed up too.

Oh well. We got treated like royalty for one night by the wait staff and other cruisers but it would have been nice to be seated at a table with others that shared our feelings about dressing up for dinner. Can we request that during booking or how about changing seating on the formal night to ensure those that are dressed up can sit with others that are dressed up?

[/color][/u]Cruising allows you to come as you are. If you want casual, you can simply lie back in shorts everyday. We have a few formal evenings in the dining, but they are optional. For your dining pleasure we also have a relaxed atmosphere by offering restraunt options like johnney rockets, windjammer cafe', Seaview cafe', and cafe' promonade. And of course, for the ultimate casual experiance, there is always room service.

I think you may have missed the point here. What they are saying is that if you do not want to dress formal in the dining room, then you can dress casual at the other restaurants listed. They are not saying that formal dress in the dining room is optional.

It doesnt have to be a "here we go again" thread. I think its productive to let RCCL what we want.

RCCL doesnt need to know what you want. They are doing very well without your opinion. They continue to grow even with policies and rules that you dont like. Imagine that. I own a very successful restaurant that I have grown because of what I wanted to do - not what my customer wanted to do. If I did everything the customer wanted me to do like - let them bring thier own wine or alcohol in, lower my prices, etc.. I would be out of business.

They own the company - if you dont like it dont cruise with them. Sorry to be so straight but I am not going to dance around the winers and complainers. I already started a thread yesterday about complainers and winers and I guess people dont like to appreciate life and enjoy their cruise.

I'm sure you have heard the old expression- "Money talks, bull**** walks".

Cruise lines care only about one thing - profits. And the new class of clientele today is not interested in rules or formal nights. Now there are many people who do care but continue to cruise and put up with the insults. Certainly, cruise lines could not exist without us. So, the only way to get their attention is to show them what it would be like without us. Stop cruising for a while. Or just stop cruising on RCL. I do not cruise on one single line. I look for good deals, new ships, interesting itinerary, etc. I am sure everyone would have a great time on Princess or HAL. You can even switch to Celebrity (which is far superior to RCL in my opinion). Cruise lines cannot sail with half full ships. Then need the income from almost full ships to meet expenses and pay mortgages on ships. I doubt that they would enforce rules on all ships, but the best alternative would probably be more adults only cruises with rules enforced. I just got back from a fantastic AI (another thread). It was so good that we decided to cut back from two cruises per year to one and spend the other week at an AI or a land resort. Just one warning - make sure you go to a top shelf AI because most AIs do not compare with a good cruise.

I think I read your post about the AI. Are you the poster that wont post the website for fear of getting the word out? LOL. Funny you post that because if you check my history, I've been thinking of a AI.

Back OT here. I do find it very interesting to see everyones pros and cons about enforcing the rules. I love RCCL but am thinking about booking another line after the Freedom in Oct.

RCCL doesnt need to know what you want. They are doing very well without your opinion. They continue to grow even with policies and rules that you dont like. Imagine that. I own a very successful restaurant that I have grown because of what I wanted to do - not what my customer wanted to do. If I did everything the customer wanted me to do like - let them bring thier own wine or alcohol in, lower my prices, etc.. I would be out of business.

They own the company - if you dont like it dont cruise with them. Sorry to be so straight but I am not going to dance around the winers and complainers. I already started a thread yesterday about complainers and winers and I guess people dont like to appreciate life and enjoy their cruise.

Thank you for your opinion!

Absolutely totally agree. If enough of us whiners and compaliners stop cruising with RCL and and watch them take notice.

Since many ships have separate dining rooms or dining rooms with multiple levels how about allowing cruisers who want to dress more formally to be seated in a dining room with other cruisers that want to dress more formally. It seems there are enough people on boths sides of the fence to fill the formal and informal dining rooms.

I have always found the food in the formal dining room better than the buffet food served in the Windjammer and I can understand why people still want to eat there even though they refuse to dress up. It must be noted however, most people wouldn't go to a fancy restaurant that serves courses in jeans and a tank top as you would be turned away.

My b/f and I love dressing up for dinner and do so at home as well as on vacation because it makes every meal out special. The only complaint we had about our last cruise was that only 7 other men dressed up for dinner on the single formal night of the cruise. Everyone complemented us on how we looked and a few seemed like they wished they had dressed up too.

Oh well. We got treated like royalty for one night by the wait staff and other cruisers but it would have been nice to be seated at a table with others that shared our feelings about dressing up for dinner. Can we request that during booking or how about changing seating on the formal night to ensure those that are dressed up can sit with others that are dressed up?

Pip, Thats what I am talking about. Glad you had a nice romantic, dressed up evening.

Check this out..

(appendix page A3)

New to cruising?

If you read this like a lawyer (I'm in law school), RCCL is saying formal dinners in the formal dining room are optional as there are other places for cruisers to dine informally, namely Johnny Rockets, the Windjammer and room service.

Voyager:

This book was NOT written by travel agents. It is a royal caribbean publication, NOT at all a rewrite of any ones ideas.

It specifically is all royal caribbean literature, just like the cruise books they give out on the ships with the sailings in them.

The book is all royal caribeen cover, and the inside copywright says

Royal Caribbean International

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, Fla. © 2006

http://www.royalcaribbean.com

It is not someone elses authored book

Archived