Reversing Routes during a Hurricane

Grtcdnwolf

Has Carnival ever reversed the order in which they have visited ports when a Hurricane is indicated for the current route of travel? IE Instead of doing Cozumel, Grand Caymans and Ocho Rios ... have they ever done Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel backwards?

Has Carnival ever reversed the order in which they have visited ports when a Hurricane is indicated for the current route of travel? IE Instead of doing Cozumel, Grand Caymans and Ocho Rios ... have they ever done Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel backwards?

They also have been known to go to different ports entirely.. instead of Bahama if there is a hurricane there they will go to canada instead.

These are the chances you take when booking during hurricane season. Please be flexible.

They will redirect to another port to get out of the path of the storm. When we went and a storm was coming they told us at the port the changes and if you didn't want to go they gave some sort of credit. We went, didn't matter what ports we were on vacation and a good time was had by all.

Have fun and go with it:)

That's my view, too. I do book a cruise based on the ports of call, but I understand there is no guarantee we will actually visit any of those ports.

I have read several posts, bad reviews, etc. from passengers who thought the cruise was ruined because a certain port was cancelled. I think the ports are great but missing one, to me at least, is just a minor issue.

On our Victory cruise in Sept/Oct 05 we were redirected to the Western itin because of a TS. We were supposed to go Eastern, but went back to the same ports we'd been to twice already. We had a great time anyway because we were cruising, but we were really disappointed by the change.

kitty

Last year on the Caribbean Princess the Captain decided to switch to Western Caribbean rather than Easter, as a tropical storm was forming around the Eastern itinerary. We didn't mind, although some people complained. We had beautiful weather on the Western route.

...instead of Bahama if there is a hurricane there they will go to canada instead.

Canada?! Wow, has this happened? I'd be petty darned tempted to declare the vacation a colossal dissappointment if I wanted a nice tropical vacation and ended up in Canada...

On our first cruise the itinerary was reversed because of a hurricane. They didn't tell us until we boarded. Really made it hard because I booked 2 of the 4 excursions on my own outside of Carnival. Needless to say, I had to RUN (along with everyone else who booked their own tours) down to the shore excursion desk and try to book something through Carnival for us to do those 2 ports.

Since I researched booking my own excursions here on Cruise Critic, I was wise enough to only book places that would refund my money if the boat did not dock that day. I had NO problem getting my money refunded.

I don't recall that they have lately, but it is certainly possible. This time of year, we should see some reports of changed itineraries if the weather starts becoming a problem in certain areas.

Ralph, the reason the ships going to Bermuda are rerouted to Canada is because it's the only place they can go and make it back within the week. Typically these cruises leave out of New York/Philadelphia/Boston and they wouldn't make it to the Caribbean and back in 6-7 days.

Archived