Jimmy Buffet Margaritaville - Grand Cayman

angelkisses

It was open on the 13th of September when we were there on the Imagination - it was freakin' packed - they are still working on a few things here and there construction wise, but it looks great. Here are some pics - just click on the small pic and it will take you to a bigger and you can even get a bigger one if you select full size in webshots... enjoy!

Here is a picture from where the Carnival ships tender into, there is a new tender dock that we did not use:

2404709820081382162fMeTyD_th.jpg

Here is a pic of the new tender dock, this was being used by RCL and Princess, Margaritaville is off to the right - a very, very short distance:

2381022200081382162YGixGH_th.jpg

So I'm new to the Margaritaville hoopla. I saw the one in Montego Bay, but it was as we were riding by it. Do you pay to go in and use the pools or what? I know the big thing is drinks and food (in that order I'm sure) but I just need a little info to pass along to our group.

it says steps from the pier? does this mean we could really walk to it? or do we need to take a taxi?

Royal Caribbean seemed to tender to a new location to myself and the building is still under construction (Royal Watler). Margarita is directly across from the old tender location (North terminal) but we tendered with Carnival to a new building just about a small block or two right of Captain Marvin's. There are 3 tender locations. Margaritaville is in the Anchorage Center, it's kinda like an indoor mall with open roof, I always called it the Switzerland place because once I see Grand Switzerland sign you know the mall.

Water Slides were going and and some construction was still going on but not sure what it was. (September 27th)

Now my warnings!

The prices on the menu are in Grand Cayman currency. Don't have the receipt in front of me but was told the exchange rate was about $1 in GC equals about $1.25 in us. So $10 actually cost $12.50, Our bar bill for one round we got 3 red stripes, long island and 2 regular margaritas (note mixed drinks are in short plastic throw away cups, not souvenir cups) and our bar bill was $46 without tip, wow over $7 a drink. Prices are the same in the gift shop.

The salt shaker coupon on line they refused to take. Read it, there is no reason the should have. We tried to use it for only one of our drinks and they said it wasn't from the Margaritaville site, then the manager said it expired on 9/15, then another manager said it wasn't good in their location. Read the coupon, so sad they they won't give up $7 to keep a customer happy.

We walked in to more of a Carlos & Charlie atmosphere on the dance floor. Don't get me wrong we love it. We were seated in the dining area closer to the street where you couldn't see the dance floor yet the music was still so loud you had to yell. Talking to someone that was not sitting next to you was out of the question.

We are severe Parrot-heads and have visited many Margaritaville's but this one just wasn't worth the money in my thoughts. Glad it is open for those interested but it won't be on my must do list in Grand Cayman. Last Margaritaville we had drinks, appetizers and burgers and had not one complaint.

BonVoyage

Dawna

What was the pool like? Sounds like we should still hit the beach and not plan on Margaritaville except for a quick drink.

Yep...sounds like more a "stop there and get a drink just to say we have been" instead of a place we would hang all day.

What was the pool like? Sounds like we should still hit the beach and not plan on Margaritaville except for a quick drink.

The pool was really little, and the swim up bar had like 4 seats. It took us a minute to even notice it. I was soooo excited about Margaritaville. I had never been to one before and since I was going to Cayman on my honeymoon (last week!) I thought it would be a good thing for us to do. Hang out in the pool have a bite to eat. I was WRONG! Yeah it was kinda cute but nothing special. The prices were CRAZY. Our final bill had 1 plate of nachos, 1 cheeseburger, 2 mango margaritas (which were pretty small), and 1 mango margarita that came in a take home glass (this margarita was $14 their money so like $17.50 American money) and the total was $80 US! Can you believe we paid $80 for nachos, a cheeseburger, and 3 drinks. It was ridiculous. I was so disappointed, not just because of the money. I wouldn't have minded paying that if I thought it had been worth it, but the food there really wasn't that good. And they weren't large portions or anything. I would only recommend Margaritaville if you want to stop and have ONE drink just to say you have been. Other then that don't bother.

The prices were CRAZY. Our final bill had 1 plate of nachos, 1 cheeseburger, 2 mango margaritas (which were pretty small), and 1 mango margarita that came in a take home glass (this margarita was $14 their money so like $17.50 American money) and the total was $80 US! Can you believe we paid $80 for nachos, a cheeseburger, and 3 drinks. It was ridiculous. I was so disappointed, not just because of the money. I wouldn't have minded paying that if I thought it had been worth it, but the food there really wasn't that good. And they weren't large portions or anything. I would only recommend Margaritaville if you want to stop and have ONE drink just to say you have been. Other then that don't bother.

that EVERYTHING in GC is more expensive. It does suck that one meal and a couple drinks costs this much, but from all the reading I've done on here, it sounds like it's not THAT much more than you'd pay other places in GC. Which is why I plan on eating a decent breakfast, grabbing a snack in port and waiting til I get back to the ship to actually eat. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Was there 10/12.

Everything was open the day we were there.

Shaker is gone. They really did take it off. Instead, the Caribbean locations have coupons on the placemats at each location good for a margarita at the next port of call.

Just got back from being on the Coral Princess and was in Grand Cayman last Friday. Going back a few days though, was in Ocho Rios on Sunday, Oct. 15th, took my lost shaker of salt free coupon to the Margaritaville there and they wouldn't honor it. Said it expired at the end of Sept. The waitress came back over a few mins. later and asked if this was our first port on the cruise, we said, "yes" and she gave us each a yellow wrist band and told us that the Grand Cayman restaurant would give us the drinks free. Unfortunately we were only in port until 2:30 and ran out of time to use the coupon. (were too busy snorkeling) But it is open. The exchange rate they are using is indeed $1.25 U.S. to $1.00 cayman.

Have fun!

We were there last week. Didn't even make it into the reasturant. The gift shop prices don't really warn you that they are GC $ not US so a couple of people including us were shocked when $36 of merchandise cost us $46

it's fine if they want to charge those prices but they need to make it so you are aware of the difference before you get to the register. It ticked us off so we went back to the ship for lunch. Don't plan to go back there. I don't remember being charged like that in other places when we were in GC before. Might have been just don't remember. It did take some of the fun out of finding a new MVille.

Debbie

we were there Oct. 16th & the swim up bar was not open, you could use the slide & swim in the pool which was very small. The place wasn't anything special. I was looking forward to it & was disappointed. They did take the lost shaker of salt coupon. There were 8 of us that had them & they honored them all. I didn't spend a lot of time there but 4 in our group did & they got an outrageous bill when they were done. It was worth a short visit but unless you want to dump a lot of money I wouldn't spend too much time there.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi JKkey

Warn you of what? That they use Grand cayman currency? when you see a price, assume it is in the local currency. You know the exchange rate--do the math before you hit the cash register and ask to pay in US funds.

And yes, the Caribbean is very expensive.

marie61 - I agree! Thank you for saying something.

When people visit other countries, why should they expect the economy to cater to them? There are other countries that use the $, not just the United States of America.

We were just in GC & visited Margaritaville on Tuesday, 11/28. We didn't eat but just stopped in for some souveniers. My brother paid first & gave them a $100 bill. At first he walked away & while he approached me he said that they did not give him enough change. He went back to the same cash register that he just left 1 min earlier with his change and receipt in his hand & said they didn't give him enough change. The female cashier rolled her eyes & shook her head as the male cashier said "you don't understand". He began to explain the exchange which we already knew. My brother showed him the receipt & explain the exchange back to him the cashier then backed off & said "oh oh, yes, you're right. I still owe you $20."

When I went up to pay they did the SAME THING to me but only tried to jip me by $5. So I do agree with Marie61 that you should know the exchange rate for your own protection. This place is banking on cruisers not understanding the exchange rate and feeling uncomfortable to say something to a fast talking locals.

Don't get me wrong I have been to GC 4 times & loved it every time but BUYER BEWARE OF MARGARITAVILLE!!!! I find it hard to believe that this happened to 2 people on the same day within moments just by accident.

Lallybrock

We were in Grand Cayman last Wed. We also went to Margaritaville. Our bill was over $100.00 for 4 of us. We were all shocked & then I remembered that I had read this thread & forgotten about how expensive it was with the exchange rate!! We won't forget the next time we go. We sat on the balcony overlooking Grand Cayman. The place was packed. We've been to Grand Cayman 5 times including this time & go back again in March.

Gail

Lallybrock, Hmmm..... Maybe you didn't read the receipt carefully? I was there in October. At the bottom of the receipt it clearly breaks down how much is owed in Cayman dollars and United States dollars. I believe this was abbreviated as "USD". Perhaps you didn't know what that meant?

Gail, I'm so jealous that you get to go back in March!

Yes nmcrzer, you are correct that it does break it down. When I pointed out the receipt & what they had given me, the cashier still owed me money and did give it to me. If I was in error, I'm quite certain he would not have given me (and my brother) more money back after he was busted. Had we not been more award he would have pocketed an extra $25 off of just us two. Imagine all of those customers that simply stuffed their change in to their pockets or bags (probably in shock like gailc at how much money they just spent) and never knew this happened to them.

Of course I'm sure this was a bad Margaritaville employee because I've never had problems like this in Grand Cayman. I just thought I would let others know to really take a look at the receipt AND your change before you leave the cashier.

Lallybrock

• 4 years later...

We were just in GC and went to this Margaritaville. Food was awful...very much on the level of cafeteria food. Get your t-shirts and go eat somewhere else! We personally loved the Tiki restaurant, but there are many amazing restaurants along 7 Mile Beach!

Archived