wait for anytime dining?

seahawk8292

We were on the CB in January - went for dinner around 7:30 usually, got a table for two each night with NO wait at all!

We did skip formal nights and I've heard they tend to be busier (not sure why??) so I can't comment on those.

We were not allowed to make reservations between 6:30 and 9:00 on the Grand; however, we went between 7:00 and 7:30 each night and only had to wait once. The wait was about 20 minutes and it was due to their not having a table available that my husband could access in his wheelchair.

You can make reservations in Anytime Dining........no wait!
Even with reservations, there can be a wait. That was our experience on the Caribbean Princess where even with a reservation every night at 8PM for the same table, we had a wait of 5 - 30 minutes. With a reservation for the same table, you can't just walk in and sit down. You have to check in with the Maitre D and that can be a wait since there is usually a line to check in; then he has to check whether your table is free and that can be a wait.

We were not allowed to make reservations between 6:30 and 9:00 on the Grand; however, we went between 7:00 and 7:30 each night and only had to wait once. The wait was about 20 minutes and it was due to their not having a table available that my husband could access in his wheelchair.

When we were on the Grand in November, we had a reservation for 14 every night at 8:15. Were you on the Grand before or after our cruise? Perhaps the policy has changed or varies from cruise to cruise.

On the CB at least our friends would be a buzzer/flashy thing-y if there was a wait, go for a drink and wait for the page.. said it was never more than 20 minutes and they always wanted table for two. Last year in Alaska we made "standing res" for the 8 of us at 8:00 for 3 nights of the cruise on the first day out..they would not let you do till Sunday a.m. though

Of our 3 times on Princess only had to wait one time, only about 5 to 10 minutes and most of this was in line. It was the first formal night on the Star, the main reason for this wait was due to a large group in front of us that wanted one table for all of them. Once we got to the fron went right to a table. We alwasy eat between 6 and 7, so we can get to all the shows we want.

Can someone please give me feedback on the wait times for anytime dining? We are booked on the Crown and was trying to get some info. Thanks:)

A couple factors can determine if you will have a wait:

The size of your party.

The time you are eating.

Formal night.

I have cruised twice with AT dining and only had to wait twice. Both times were about 15 minutes. The first was a formal night around 7:15 and I suspect a number of people missed their early traditional seating time while having pictures taken and crashed the AT dining rooms. The second was due to my request for a specific wait staff team. Otherwise, we state table for two (or three), tell them we do not wish to be seated with others and were immediately seated. I have never played the reservation game.

Enjoy!

We have sailed 4 times with anytime dining, and we never make reservations because that seems to us to defeat the purpose of going to the DR when we're ready to eat (it actually does vary from night to night, depending on how busy we've been during the day, whether we've had an afternoon snack, etc.) With that said, we have seldom had to wait, and the few occasions we did, we were given a beeper so we could wander around. We have always asked for a table for 2 (or 4 when we sailed with friends), never a problem. I should add that we have arrived at the DR anytime between about 7:00 pm and 8:30 pm.

You can make reservations in Anytime Dining........no wait!

I'm trying to understand this concept - Is this because you have a wider selection of times than if opting for the Tradition Dining?

I'm sure there is a good reason, but to make reservations when having Anytime Dining seems to negate the purpose.

Help me understand, please, as we will be doing this next April as first time Princess cruisers.

Thanks for your help.:)

I'm trying to understand this concept - Is this because you have a wider selection of times than if opting for the Tradition Dining?

I'm sure there is a good reason, but to make reservations when having Anytime Dining seems to negate the purpose.

Help me understand, please, as we will be doing this next April as first time Princess cruisers.

Thanks for your help.:)

You are right -- it is hard to understand. You can't make a reservation for the prime times between 6 - 8PM. However, you can make a reservation for one night and just walk up the next. Or, you can walk up at any time you want. People seem to like this flexibility. On our Island Princess Hawaiian cruise, late seating was at 8PM every night. We just walked right in to "our" table with absolutely no waiting. Our waitstaff knew our preferences and had our iced tea waiting, knew what to recommend from the menu, etc. Give me traditional dining any time. I much prefer knowing what time I'm eating and adjust my meals during the day accordingly. Plus, I don't have to line up, wait or get the "buzzer."

We love anytime dining, and wouldn't book a cruise if there was only traditional dining.

For us, early seating is too early and late seating is too late. Plus, we like meeting different people.

As earlier noted, the wait depends upon the time of the evening, number in your party, and formal night as well as whether you want a specific table or don't mind being seated with anyone.

The two of us never had to wait regardless of whether it was formal night or not. We did not care which table. We were seated right away.

A family of 7 that we met on board did have to wait for a table on a number of occassions.

We just completd our cruise on the Grand last week. A family of five and we never had to wait for dinner. Went anytime from 7 to after 8. One time DaVinci's was full so they called Michaelangelo's and they had a table for us.

Even though both restaurants almost identical, DaVinc's seemed more crowded.

I have only cruised on ships that have had "traditional" dining! I'm not too worried about getting a meal. However, it feels so good to be able to plan the day around the meals! And, be sure that you won't have to be in any lines, etc., etc.

I'm skeptical but open for the experience. If we don't make it to traditional (we're waitlisted at #145 for September 30th), will we be okay if we don't make reservations and just take our chances at PC?

I'd be happy to sit at a table for 2 or 22. The only "glitch" is my hubby needs to eat between 5:30 and 6:30.

Any info. is greatly appreciated. ;)

Roz

Archived