Carnival Secrets they usually don't tell you about

Cinderellie

Just finish reading all the post. I think I have a few suggestions that have not been given.

1. We buy patches from everywhere we go with the port or city name on them. Then I sew them on a suitcase strip (usually a bright color). We are able to find our suitcase very fast because no one else is using this and we also can relive the vacations thru the patches. One thing, we loose one last trip so I am going to try an pin the strip to the suitcase. I do not want to sew patches to suitcase because we use different cases depending on where we go.

2. The water fountain in the spa has very good tasting water. After tours on land my husband and I go to the spa with water bottles, go to the hot tub, stream room and then shower in spa. I just but my wet hair in a towel and go to my room to get ready for dinner and cocktails.

3. Use the rubber stopper to hold the balcony door open. Just when you leave your room put it back where the steward had it. He uses it to hold the door of your cabin when he cleans your room.

4. Someone said that they take a radio for the balcony, please take earphones also, the people next to you may not enjoy your music as much as you do.

5. My husband usually will find out where the ice machine is on our floor. They will not tell you where it is. Just keep your eyes open and you will find it. Many times we want ice and our steward if off. I know you can call him or call room service but it is very easy for my husband to go get his own ice and give the steward his break time.

6.When you come off tours it seems that everyone is waiting for the same elevator. Just go up one floor and proceed to the middle elevators and you will have no wait. Better yet walk up the stairs. I try to walk up and down the stairs everywhere on the ship. After awhile you start meeting the people that are regulars on the stairs.

7. I always pack with the idea of doing laundry, that way I don't bring as many clothes. The funny thing is I have never done laundry on the ship and I still have more clothes than I needed.

8. If you have a late return home fight look into taking a tour with the ship. The tour agents puts your luggage in the bus. It will be with you all day and at the end of the tour they take you to the airport. If you take off the price of getting to the airport the tour is a very good price.

9. I always take a few small tissure packs on shore with me. In the past to many times there wasn't any toilet paper.

10. When I went to Tahiti everyone purchase beautiful flowers for there room. I loved them. When I was on the Freedom a few months ago I saw beautiful flowers at the farmer market in Venice. Before going back to the ship I purchase them. Used one of the coffee pots that room service left in the hallway for a vest. I am sure that the steward would had found me a vest but did not brother him. Our room smelt wonderful all cruise. Before we go onto the ship we stop and buy a few bottles of water at a grocery store and I plan on buying flowers at the same time.

Hope these help you as much as the post from others have helped me.

Jean

The only thing I would like to say, and I know it won't be popular. Don't go get your own ice. That may be how nuro gets spread. They probably use gloves so it is safer for everyone if you just let them get it for you. Sorry my DH got sick last time and I woulnd't wish that on anyone.

Linda

9. I always take a few small tissue packs on shore with me. In the past to many times there wasn't any toilet paper.

Hope these help you as much as the post from others have helped me.

Jean

Now Jean, this tip is probably the BEST one I've seen ever! So simple but SO essential if you're in need! :D Thanks for this one.

The only thing I would like to say, and I know it won't be popular. Don't go get your own ice. That may be how nuro gets spread. They probably use gloves so it is safer for everyone if you just let them get it for you. Sorry my DH got sick last time and I woulnd't wish that on anyone.

Linda

Our steward showed us where the ice machine was and told us we could get our own when he was off duty.

Corrected. I guess it is too cold to sustain the germs or they wouldn't do that. Thanks for letting me know.

Linda

Not necessarily. Just because he said we could do it, doesn't mean we were supposed to. I really don't know.

We didn't put our hands into the ice, there is a scooper that you use. Next time I am on a cruise I am going to check an see if the steward has gloves on when he fills our ice. I am not sure.

Jean

Please do not get me wrong I do believe we have to be careful on a ship and try an keep things sterile. I wish Carnival would do what the Princess did last year. The first three days when you went to the buffet there was a person at the front of the line with a bottle of stuff to put on your hands to sterilizer them before going thru the food buffet. After the third day only the bottle was there but very few people did not use it. We had been trained. There is wipes in the bathrooms on the Carnival but I do not remember any bottles with sterilizers.

Jean

Antibacterial stuff is not a substitute for good hand washing. Everyone needs to be washing their hands and using those little tissue things on the handles afterwards. After that it's the crew's job to Lysol all surfaces. I think that availability of antibacterial stuff makes people slack on the hand washing.

When we were on RCCL last year, the morning of disembarkment, we were stuck waiting to leave in the photo gallery... they opened the gallery and put out all the photos. Guests were just walking up and taking their photos with no registers open. Do the lines just give them away on the morning of disembarkemt? Might as well since they throw 'em away anyways!

i am a nurse and we r constantly being inserviced on hand washing/geling ;) in the hospital . the ID doctors{infection desiese } all say the gel is great for most bacteria .they say it is better than hand washing because most people don't take the time to wash thoroghly. there r a few organisms that r not killed by the gel however.

i am a nurse and we r constantly being inserviced on hand washing/geling ;) in the hospital . the ID doctors{infection desiese } all say the gel is great for most bacteria .they say it is better than hand washing because most people don't take the time to wash thoroghly. there r a few organisms that r not killed by the gel however.

I am also a nurse and plan to take hand washing gel with me on the cruise (as a matter on fact, I carry it with me in the states - never know when you need to wash your hands and soap/water is not readily available)

Can someone tell me, is there a charge for using sauna and showers in the spa?

Also, the problem with everyone getting their own ice is only a problem if someone leaves the ice scoop in the machine. :rolleyes: I believe there was a large group of young ladies who became sick from ice in a shared ice chest not too long ago.

I am also a nurse and plan to take hand washing gel with me on the cruise (as a matter on fact, I carry it with me in the states - never know when you need to wash your hands and soap/water is not readily available)

I keep a small bottle in my car. If I go to a drive through and I know I will be eating with my hands, I use the gel and so far I think it has helped.

Linda

10. When I went to Tahiti everyone purchase beautiful flowers for there room. I loved them. When I was on the Freedom a few months ago I saw beautiful flowers at the farmer market in Venice. Before going back to the ship I purchase them. Used one of the coffee pots that room service left in the hallway for a vest. I am sure that the steward would had found me a vest but did not brother him. Our room smelt wonderful all cruise. Before we go onto the ship we stop and buy a few bottles of water at a grocery store and I plan on buying flowers at the same time.

I LOVE this idea - my BF did have roses waiting for me at dinner one night, but it was towards the end of the cruise. I'd definitely love to have them in the cabin for the entire trip. And I bet it's a lot cheaper to purchase them on the island as well! Thanks for the tip - I never even thought of buying them on the island.

:p Thanx for the info. I think of new questions every day. This is our third cruise and I start studying the boards 2 months before we cruise. It gets me excited to sail!!!:cool:

You're welcome! I'm going on my third cruise in a month and I can't wait. This time I'm sailing the Destiny though and I'm so excited. You'll have a lot of fun on the Miracle, I did. It's a great ship. :)

Know there are 2 ways to debark the ship at the end of my cruise…..self-assist and leave your luggage out before midnight. My question is this……is there any way to use the “midnight” method but be one of the first colors called? This is our 8th cruise and inevitably we are not call until 10:30 or so…..that makes our 8 hour drive home a very long day. I know if you have an early flight you can make arrangements to debark early….think there is any way I can make similar arrangements???

I LOVE this idea - my BF did have roses waiting for me at dinner one night, but it was towards the end of the cruise. I'd definitely love to have them in the cabin for the entire trip. And I bet it's a lot cheaper to purchase them on the island as well! Thanks for the tip - I never even thought of buying them on the island.

Carnival told me that I had to bring silk flowers not real ones for my wedding on the Conquest. They said it had to do with customs regulations (food, seeds, vegitation, insects). They (Carnival) are allowed to supply them but just buying from a vendor or florist was not allowed to be brought on the ship. Has this policy changed? :confused:

Carnival told me that I had to bring silk flowers not real ones for my wedding on the Conquest. They said it had to do with customs regulations (food, seeds, vegitation, insects). They (Carnival) are allowed to supply them but just buying from a vendor or florist was not allowed to be brought on the ship. Has this policy changed? :confused:

I don't think so. People may have been "getting away with it" lately, but it's a customs issue.

From the Carnival FAQ:

re: Wedding Packages

Due to U.S. agricultural restrictions, any flowers you choose to bring onboard must be silk only.

Hi, we're leaving on the 15th aboard the Legend. We booked Guaranteed Inside and got upgraded to French door/obstructed view outside. Has anyone had one of these cabins? I saw a picture on another site and it said that on some ships the door is locked so you can't open it.

Is there a railing on the outside if you can open the door? Is it like a mini balcony? Very confused but happy to be able to see the water :p , I don't care if I have to squat down and look under the lifeboat.

sea ya!

mb

We had one of those on the Miracle and the door opens just like a balcony room, but no balcony, just a big ol lifeboat!

I have read several threads about ordering room service or going to the buffet, then packing a lunch to take to a port. It sounds like a good idea, but I would be very worried about food poisoning. Meats, mayonnaise and other condiments would spoil quickly.

Instead, hubby and I have a huge breakfast so we don't have to eat as much in port.

I don't want anyone to get sick while on a cruise. There is too much to do and see without having a stomach virus to worry about. :)

I have read several threads about ordering room service or going to the buffet, then packing a lunch to take to a port. It sounds like a good idea, but I would be very worried about food poisoning. Meats, mayonnaise and other condiments would spoil quickly.

Instead, hubby and I have a huge breakfast so we don't have to eat as much in port.

I don't want anyone to get sick while on a cruise. There is too much to do and see without having a stomach virus to worry about. :)

It's actually NOT a good idea at all. There are rules about doing that - or not doing that as the case may be.

I agree - have a big breakfast so it will hold you, or buy yourself a snack somewhere at the port, or come back to the ship for a meal if you can't wait, but DON'T take food off the ship.

Thanks a lot -- you guys have me paranoid about ice machines as a novo threat now! :p We're only one deck below Lido, so I think I'll just scamper up there during the slow hours and fill up an ice bucket from the more sterile dispensers there! :)

Thanks a lot -- you guys have me paranoid about ice machines as a novo threat now! :p We're only one deck below Lido, so I think I'll just scamper up there during the slow hours and fill up an ice bucket from the more sterile dispensers there! :)

Sorry about that. Maybe ice would kill the germs. I didn't mean to make everyone paranoid. I will just disinfect my hands (gel) if I use it and then disinfect after use. That's all you can do.

Linda

Archived