Carnival Secrets they usually don't tell you about

Cinderellie

I won't repeat full list just compiled, but just so some will be aware, some things on there can be considered rude or inappropriate. Especially the tipping up front. Do as you wish, but you'll find many do not agree with that.

No tipping debate--just an FYI.

Please remeber that this whole forum is based on "tips" & "secrets" that have worked well for some and have wished to pass on to others in hopes that it will work for them.

You DO NOT need to agree with or follow anything listed here and if so there is no point in pointing out such things, so:

- If you want to tip upfront do so and if you don't than don't it's that simple

Jacquid, thanks for doing this list. The only one I don't agree with is this one:

"If you are going on an excursion the next day that does not include lunch...order sandwiches the night before from room service and put them in the frig overnight."

There are health regulations with regard to this and you can cause some serious problems not to mention possible fines and they will confiscate if you are caught. You can bring things like boxes of cereal and prepackaged snacks though.

KAWS...You're right, the rules have changed since this tip was posted early on in the board. So I guess the rule of thumb will now be eat a big breakfast & pack some sealed snacks like the cereal boxes. Also I've been told that the risk of getting "sick" off of local food is significantly less if you stick to more tourist restaurant style food.

Hopefully, SNOOZEMAN won't have a problem with this post !!!

Well, I've finally read them all . . . whew! I actually have a couple of new "secrets" to add and one good idea I read about on here that actually turned out bad.

We cruised the Conquest in July with family and brought a white board to place on the most central cabin door. It was intended to keep the others in our family informed of our whereabouts on the ship. Instead, it became a message board for every foul minded teenager on the ship. And there were lots of them. They drew pictures, too! Did I ever mention that we will never ever cruise in July again?

Here are a couple of secrets that I've discovered:

1) The larger ships all have a burger bar at the back of the ship across from the pizzaria. They usually have sauteed onions and mushrooms with their condiments. If you like mushroom pizza, like me, you can pick up a couple of slices of cheese pizza, then walk over to the burger bar and pile the mushrooms all over it. Great mushroom pizza.

2) Most people don't realize that the "dings" on the elevators actually tell you which way the elevator is going. One ding means up - "up!" Two dings means down - "Dow-own!" That may help you get to your elevator a little more efficiently in the future. If you're going up and the elevator behind you dings twice, it's not your elevator.

---Bruce

I know this was sort of already mentioned but the thing I did not realize until about the 6th day was the minute steaks at the grill. They are far better than a hamburger or hot dog and well worth an extra minute wait for a good lunch.

A lot of these "tips" only apply to some classes of ships and not to others so, yes, they're helpful. Some of them. To some people. On some cruises. :o

Like, no minute steak on Fantasy class ships. Unfortunately!

And can I just ask people to NOT fill up water bottles at the buffet by sticking a bottle against the nozzle? I mean, you've been drinking out of it. Please don't place something that was in your mouth against the nozzle. Ewwww.

My #1 tip: wash your hands - often - using soap and hot water. Please!

I'm not even a germ-o-phobe, either! :p

Hi:

I'm new to Carnival, but we are thinking of sailing on the Glory in February 08. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to order a 'Bar Set Up' in your room prior to sailing. We have done this on our last 3 NCL cruises. It is not advertised by NCL, but it can be done.

Hi:

I'm new to Carnival, but we are thinking of sailing on the Glory in February 08. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to order a 'Bar Set Up' in your room prior to sailing. We have done this on our last 3 NCL cruises. It is not advertised by NCL, but it can be done.

What is it and how much is it?

PA

Yes it is possible. There's usually a thread about this every other day or so. Maybe check the first couple of pages for threads (although it's probably difficult to find; probably buried in the booze smuggling threads).

I believe you have to call the Gifts department. Booze isn't listed with the Bon Voyage items, but you can do it.

What is it and how much is it?

PA

The booze is in your room when you arrive. On NCL you pay $3.00 for the service, and you can order anything from beer to baileys.

Nothing like a touch of Baileys in your morning coffee!

I know you can buy a bottle. On the last carnival cruise we did that at a cost of 65.00 for a bottle of run. I was wondering if you do it like this is it cheaper. Is there a difference if you order it ahead of time?

thanks,

PA

Love all the tips!

There's one I followed on my last cruise but won't do again. There was a suggestion to bring your own beach towel to take on excursions rather than risk losing a ship towel. So I took my own beach towel. On the first excursion, I returned to the ship with a wet, sandy beach towel that I was stuck with. All of my travel mates returned to the ship with a wet, sandy Carnival towel that the room steward replaced with a nice, clean towel.

Hope this helps! Saves room in the luggage as well!

Love all the tips!

There's one I followed on my last cruise but won't do again. There was a suggestion to bring your own beach towel to take on excursions rather than risk losing a ship towel. So I took my own beach towel. On the first excursion, I returned to the ship with a wet, sandy beach towel that I was stuck with. All of my travel mates returned to the ship with a wet, sandy Carnival towel that the room steward replaced with a nice, clean towel.

Hope this helps! Saves room in the luggage as well!

The steward should've left you a Carnival beach towel as well, so when you returned to the ship, you should've had a nice, clean, dry towel, too. And you can always check one out at the Lido deck. Just be sure you get credit for turning it back in.

EDIT: maybe they're bigger on other ships or I just wasn't paying attention. Here's a link to someone's photo of a safe on the Legend.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1076748709040397716xshmxu

Arkie: don't know if that was a joke or not, but, no, a 3-ring binder will NOT fit in the safe - at least not the ones on the Fantasy class! It's big enough for some papers and some jewelry. They are quite small. I'm sure if you Google images, someone, somewhere has taken a photo and posted it online.

I'm in the process of reading this backwards, and it's full of good stuff. I have to remember to bring lanyards or arm stretchie things for the cards--between the sail & sign, room key, and one for safe--I'm on Imagination--I'm going to have three cards, which is two more than I ever had to carry on another cruise!

I love reading all the info people have from their past cruise experiences, EXCEPT for the things that they know are just plain wrong. Why do they think that it's fine for them to leave the ship with people who are going on excursions, when they are not going? What if everyone went out to Walmart and bought those little dots, so they could get in a line they should not be in? Why do they think they are better than everyone else, and that they are entitled? It's as if they think, "let everyone else wait". It's like the people who cut in line, in a car, at the grocery store, waiting to board or leave the ship. They seem to think the rules apply to everyone else. And if they have kids, that's really a good thing to show them! Give me a break! Does getting off the ship a few minutes early really mean that much to you? You're on vacation. And everyone wonders why so many countries don't like Americans. It's because of behavior like this. You should be ashamed of yourselves...

You state "Why do they think that it's fine for them to leave the ship with people who are going on excursions, when they are not going? "

I ask YOU "Why do YOU think that it's fine for CARNIVAL to let people off the ship who are going on ONLY THEIR excursions???

Why do I have to wait 45 minutes or more because I didn't book one of their overpriced, sub quality, cattle herding excursions!!!!!

Glen

Archived